08-19-12, 10:15 AM   #1
gleiNNek
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
Hard code to follow

Yes, the code of this addon is hard to follow. It looks like it's been run thru either a "code obfuscator" or a "code shortener". Used to see this oftem in old Apple II BASIC programs when trying to make hard to follow them or make them use less code space.

gene

08-20-12, 10:37 AM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by gleiNNek View Post
Yes, the code of this addon is hard to follow. It looks like it's been run thru either a "code obfuscator" or a "code shortener". Used to see this oftem in old Apple II BASIC programs when trying to make hard to follow them or make them use less code space.

gene
it actually isn't that hard to follow, there is no spacing, and a lot of it is shortened like MM for minimap etc, but it does make sense once you figure out which is which.

Part of the problem is the code is so old, and has just been patched quickly to work... and this time around blizzard is removing things completly from the API calls... like ranged slot for example, carbonite still has calls/checks for ammo slot which hasn't existed in ages, but just silently failed since WoW allowed it, ranged slot... nope full on error if you try to touch it.. so all refrences to look at it need to be removed.... and that's just one small example.

Last edited by Rythal : 08-20-12 at 10:42 AM.

08-20-12, 12:30 PM   #3
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you fear Carbonite will not be updated for MoP perhaps now is the time to find out the replacement addons for specific features, and for those features that have no replacement see if the community is willing to come up with new addons that have those missing features. Eventually if there are enough addons that provide replacement features for Carbonite I am sure someone will package them up in an addon pack called Charcoalite or something similar.

08-20-12, 03:06 PM   #4
Cherio
A Fallenroot Satyr
I think basic features of quests and maps and PVP BG maps is the most needed/used function here , others are important though , but made the addon more complex and harder to maintain. As a player I would be happy with these basic features. else can be sub addons maintained seperatley , with ability to disable/enable

none of the current addons can replace carbonite in map zoom and quests functions, other features have other replacement addons

08-20-12, 03:16 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The Problem is getting permission to even be fixing it, sure I can modify the code and make it work for myself...
but since they included the copyright disclaimer even tho I have 75% of it fixed and working, I can't distribute it.

08-21-12, 08:00 AM   #6
Leridyn
A Murloc Raider
Sorry for the interruption -I deleted my original post because I just found a thread addressing my request for replacement addons.

I love Carbonite, and have for years. I also am a professional and have a life, family and social obligations - so I respect that the developers have higher priorities than writing code to enhance a video game. I'd love to see a fan update or something that provides the same functionality in one comprehensive addon (not a compilation).

Last edited by Leridyn : 08-21-12 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Leridyn was a doofus

08-21-12, 11:08 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
you won't get a fan update that doesn't require additional addons, not without tearing apart the entire thing and redoing parts from scratch which would make it no longer just a fan update.

Unless someone is willing to put a crapload more work into it... I'll try to explain why for just one aspect of it,

Carb is from before blizz had it's own quest tracking / hints, so every quest that you can get the little arrow on screen telling you where to go, is registered and known by the addon... those not known, won't give you the arrow. The information for the quests is encoded in some way only they the creators know

"4Sharptalon's Claw%:6####",nil,"#$( 9^Õ@^Í",} is how one quest looks to us when we view it, and I dunno about any of you but to me it's mostly jibberish. Now, blizz has it's own tracking, and it works very well, and addons can access the information... so in theory carbonites tracking could be hooked into all that and use it instead of it's internal database which would mean instant working for pandaria, but at the loss of knowing what quests in each zone you have finished / not finished.

The reason I used the real tomtom in my fixed version, was because it can't track any quests not in it's internal database.. it just gives you an error which i'm sure most of us have seen saying that quest or objective is unknown. So instead, carbonite displays my quests & objectives as it always has, but tomtom does the tracking for me since it uses the internal game information I mentioned above.

08-21-12, 11:17 AM   #8
worlord
A Defias Bandit
One of the authors has let me know that they have been VERY busiy with there actual jobs. They have not decided if they are going to update it or allow the community to do so. He said that they will post a reply on the forums once they have made a decision.

Just my opionion here but I think that they are going to turn it over to the community. Since the last update was just extend the Out of date message.

08-21-12, 11:36 AM   #9
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
wow without carbonite seems bad... I sure hope that there can be some sort of fix or replacement.. I love how it all works, mainly the mapping and quest tracking.. without everything that carbonite brings to the table, I can estimate adding about 15 addons (some rather bulky) just to scrape the surface of getting "close".

Not to say that replacing it would be impossible, but omg... I would not want to be the person in charge of that task.

08-29-12, 02:03 PM   #10
Livanamako
A Murloc Raider

So MoP is out and a lot of addons have been updated. Like last time carbonite seems to be lagging behind other addons with updates. I know there is a beta (MoP or not) on the part of the forum I can't enter. I've donated, but I have no idea how to get into the part where you can download betas or if it's even possible. I know others are wondering about that part too. I tried looking for version 3.3201 beta on the net without much luck. MoP changed it all again <sigh>

5.04 is out. Available on carboniteaddon and WOWinterface. Curse version haven't been updated yet.
Misunderstood this a little earlier, Rythal is the author of the working version and the beta I mentioned was too old to actually be interesting as Rythal pointed out. I did try Rythals version and it ran without errors, but I still prefer 5.041 even if there is a few errors. I trust it's still being worked on. I might try to change the log error myself by using a constant value. I'm using SuperEdi and .lua syntax file from TextPad. It seem to be a nice combination for unicode text files if you don't want some heavier programming.

Last edited by Livanamako : 09-17-12 at 11:45 AM.

09-03-12, 04:01 PM   #11
ssquared
A Murloc Raider
OK I might be really stupid but I don't know how to use this temp-patch. I tried adding it to my inteface-> addons and it didn't seem to do anything. Do I have to do something extra? I've never done anything besides the carboniteaddon.com webpage or through curse so I'm used to the folder switcharoo. Any help for the idiot newb?

BTW - you rock for coming out with this, even if I don't know how to do it.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Will Carbonite be updated for MOP?