Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
03-24-09, 04:14 PM   #11
lordlundar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Well, WoW isn't my livelihood, but it did play a roll in it. When I got my first "real" programming job all I had to show in my portfolio was an assload of wow addons. And that DID help. It showed that I did know how to program, that I was willing to work on open source projects, and most of all that I was dedicated enough to do this FOR FREE. Just because it's for a game doesn't make the coding experience any less valid, and frankly I don't think I'd want to work for someone that thought that.
Not gonna refute that at all, just want to ask if you were saying to potential employers that you were a pro with only the addons in it, or looking to make it a profession? That's where my beef is with that point. I cant exactly hold someone in high regard who calls themselves a professional coder and then depend on another program all the time to make theirs work.

Now then, the second job I landed (yes I work two jobs) was a support job for a repo host (I'm sure *everyone* knows who :P). This one was an interesting situation. I'd been using their free hosting for my addons for some time, so right there I had my proof that I understood their product. When they put up their ad I applied, and in the end got turned down. About a month and a half later, they contacted me because they realized I was a better candidate. Yea, big ego boost there. Some months later I found out that one of the founders (the one I'd talked to when I applied) had worked for gamespot, so I actually ended up working for someone who realized that games were a "real" business, even if they're just stupid entertainment.

So yea, if you think less of people that can make a living off a game, stick it :P
I don't think people who make a living off of games is a bad thing, I didn't say that. Heck, I used to work at EB myself. I know games are a real business and follow it pretty well. But if your entire business is based off one thing that can cut you off at any time, it's not exactly a good business model.

Basically, though you can say you have your current career because of WoW, your source of income is not solely dependent on the game being there tomorrow. But there are people who say they are professionals who if asked to code an independent program, would not be able to.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW UI AddOn Development Policy discussion thread