03-20-15, 11:04 PM   #1
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
That's what we tried first. Having that set to opengl is fine, but when it's set like that, the battle.net launcher sometimes won't launch itself, and when it's open, launching WoW from the battle.net launcher ends up with it hanging somewhere between creating the window and finding the character selection screen, with dialog box with no text and only a button that says 'cancel'. That's why we run it from the command line:

wine $HOME/Appropriate-dir/WoW.exe -opengl

or -d3d9 if I need to patch the game. If I run it this way when it wants to be patched, it will usually get all the way to the character selection screen, and then cut out to a different screen and say it needs to be patched.
hmm, what version of wine are you using?

I just installed elinks via yum, and it has the same problem opera did - it finds a page that says 'Object has moved here' where the word 'here' is a link, and then does nothing. I get a message on bottom that looks like it might be asking me something, but it's too long and I can't see the end of it, and pressing y, n, o, s, and a couple of others at random didn't produce anything. Pressing a wanted to bookmark it, and I don't recall what else I tried.

Lynx at least gets past that, but fails on too many redirects.
mmm I wonder if Dolby (or whoever maintains the zam sites) has wowinterface using more javascript than it used to. eLinks has some issues with that.
03-21-15, 08:19 AM   #2
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
hmm, what version of wine are you using?

mmm I wonder if Dolby (or whoever maintains the zam sites) has wowinterface using more javascript than it used to. eLinks has some issues with that.
I didn't include - that was on Curse that elinks and lynx did that, not on WoW Interface. I haven't tried this site on a text-only browser yet.

According to the configuration GUI that shows up when I find the menu item 'wine configuration' in the wine menu, it's 1.5.29.

I'm not sure if we're using the exact same wine version on all the machines; this problem in launching via the battle.net launcher and using opengl exists on my other machine (that i rarely use cause I'm rarely in that section of the house, but is set up to play wow also), is a 64 bit version of this machine I'm using now, with a smaller hard drive and, I think, also maxed on memory.

I'm not the hardware geek.
03-22-15, 03:54 PM   #3
10leej
A Molten Giant

I'm not sure if we're using the exact same wine version on all the machines; this problem in launching via the battle.net launcher and using opengl exists on my other machine (that i rarely use cause I'm rarely in that section of the house, but is set up to play wow also), is a 64 bit version of this machine I'm using now, with a smaller hard drive and, I think, also maxed on memory.
Depends on the distribution your using, however it's recommended to use the latest version of wine for WoW the wine teams keeps up to date binaries here if your using an Ubuntu system they also have a PPA available.

Also yeah I woyuldn't expect curse.com to work on elinks, maybe the sisters sites of wowace and curseforge, but not curse itself.
03-22-15, 04:54 PM   #4
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
I discovered your issues. Your running WoW via Wine. So here's a couple answers from my experience using wine on archlinux.

{.....}

Opera's support for Linux is.... just plain bad. Chrome runs fine if your against using chrome use chromium its open source sister. Altrernateively curse.com load fine in firefox, iceweasel, qupzilla, and vivaldi

Or run curse from elinks. Yes it works.

Also yeah I woyuldn't expect curse.com to work on elinks, maybe the sisters sites of wowace and curseforge, but not curse itself.
..... Um... I downloaded it and tried to run curse cause you said it worked. Right there ^^^^^

03-22-15, 11:40 PM   #5
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Barleduq View Post
..... Um... I downloaded it and tried to run curse cause you said it worked. Right there ^^^^^

Well shoot I did say that..... I'm all confused as of late. I apologise.
03-23-15, 05:04 PM   #6
MoonWitch
A Firelord
I apologize for barging in here, I hope I can say it a bit eloquently. But based on what you've said you have hardware-wise, I doubt an add-on would offer any improvement on your WoW experience. (Or removing an add-on). Of course it doesn't help you're running fairly large addons - it does add some to your load times, but your hardware is the issue. It's a bit on the low side; and I fear the only proper noticeable improvement for you would be an upgrade most likely.

What you could do, if you're unfamiliar with hardware is run this command in the Terminal.
Code:
sudo lshw -short >> hwinfo.txt
You can post the contents of that txt file here, it should be in your home directory. We might be able to help a little more directed.
06-21-15, 09:09 AM   #7
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
I apologize for barging in here, I hope I can say it a bit eloquently. But based on what you've said you have hardware-wise, I doubt an add-on would offer any improvement on your WoW experience. (Or removing an add-on). Of course it doesn't help you're running fairly large addons - it does add some to your load times, but your hardware is the issue. It's a bit on the low side; and I fear the only proper noticeable improvement for you would be an upgrade most likely.

What you could do, if you're unfamiliar with hardware is run this command in the Terminal.
Code:
sudo lshw -short >> hwinfo.txt
You can post the contents of that txt file here, it should be in your home directory. We might be able to help a little more directed.
OP here, and yes I'm reviving this a bit because it's relevant.

A) I can't find that command anywhere. I'm probably doing something wrong, but it's not on my machine as far as I can tell, and putting it into the Yum GUI interface doesn't find it.

b) Phanx very kindly sent me a video card that's much better than the one I had. Unfortunately, while it's slightly improved my running FPS, it hasn't done anything (as far as I can tell) to reduce the amount of time I freeze as I switch zones.

c) We swapped to FiOS (for various reasons), and at the same time I got a slightly faster router between my machine and our house net. This hasn't produced any changes either.

With Cladhaire bowing out of addon coding, is it worth swapping to some other location addon? *is* there another like TomTom? I've not noticed anything talking about changing what they integrate with...

Thanks for trying.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » I have over 60 addos - is it worth combining them?