09-18-14, 06:29 AM   #1
Lightbound
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Licenses of Addons and stuff like that

Hey there!

I got some properly simple questions about the licenses of AddOns. For example the WoW Instant messenger got two "bugs" for me.

First it doesnt display Hearthstone. Should be kinda easy to add since D3 and SC2 is already in it.

Secound it doesnt show Monks properly. It seems like they are into it but ye. Wont work for me.

So the last AddOn update was from 05/24/13. How is that stuff going? I couldnt find a license file or something like that.

Would i be able to update or fix it somehow without getting invited on there curse dev thing? (Just a example properly wont do that)

I guess otherwise i had to copy paste the addon and fix it and upload ist. In generall that just would be a copy of the AddOn with a modification. Wouldnt like it myself to see someone copy my stuff and call it his after adding 2 lines.

The other option would be to write like a fix addon that does the above things but i dont belive tht this works since even if you mount functions the old stuff int he default wim folder is still there so you get liek two different codes with the same stuff.

I hope it is somehow understandable. A better example would be a outdated AddOn in general WIM is still working and not that hard "outdated" so .. ye, not the best example.
09-18-14, 06:52 AM   #2
TOM_RUS
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/wim-3 last updated 12 April 2014
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Messenger.html last updated 14 May 2014
You most likely using outdated version.

Last edited by TOM_RUS : 09-18-14 at 07:12 AM.
09-18-14, 07:21 AM   #3
Lightbound
An Aku'mai Servant

Well just failed in terms wowinterface is listing the addons. It was just a example and i did put the previous version in the example.

As i sayd its just a example and the errors are still there. So if we imagine they wont get fixxed or i would like to do modifications / based on older addons stuff how would it look than?

I mean the syntax of a programming language is "hardcoded" so if i want to write a own chat addon i properly would have like more than the half of the code as it is in WIM of course there are differnt options to get the result so you can clearly see if something is copyed or not so that is my question in general.

Actually not that hard to explain but i tryed to get a story around it to explain it "worse"
09-18-14, 07:31 AM   #4
Sjak
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
If there's no license for an addon it's usually considered "All Rights Reserved" so you wouldn't be able to make a modification and release it, but you could modify the code for your own use.

I mean the syntax of a programming language is "hardcoded" so if i want to write a own chat addon i properly would have like more than the half of the code as it is in WIM of course there are differnt options to get the result so you can clearly see if something is copyed or not so that is my question in general.
I can guarantee that you wouldn't even use 10% of the same code if you implemented every single feature WIM has and tried to make it look identical. There might be a set syntax but it's basically impossible to implement everything the exact same way that WIM (or any non-trivial piece of software) does without looking at its code beforehand and consciously copying it.
09-18-14, 07:33 AM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

WoWAce has an Alpha version of W.I.M. for WoW 5.4.8 (r430) released on 8/22/2014. Latest one so far.

/EDIT: DOH!! This is what happens when you're a slow typist and you look everything up while typing the post.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 09-18-14 at 07:39 AM.
09-18-14, 07:43 AM   #6
Lightbound
An Aku'mai Servant

Already tryed out the alpha. Monks still just display the battle.net icon and ye hearthstone would properly not have been added since there is not such a icon.

Anyways, thanks for the information. Im definitly not into that license stuff.
09-18-14, 09:06 AM   #7
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Lightbound View Post
hearthstone would properly not have been added since there is not such a icon.
I don't know where you get your information, but the icon has been in the game since may 2013 (patch 5.3):

https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-text...tIcon-WTCG.PNG
09-18-14, 09:28 AM   #8
Lightbound
An Aku'mai Servant

WIM is using own icons and there Hearthstone is missing

http://i.imgur.com/2JiOT8Z.png

So i did guess that they didnt add the function to track Hearthstone c:.
09-18-14, 06:25 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
So why not contact WIM's author, sylvanaar, or another of its authors as listed on Curse and either ask about your issue or offer your fix?

Also, on Curse it specifically states that WIM is All Rights Reserved.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Licenses of Addons and stuff like that