12-27-09, 09:29 AM   #1
alimjocox
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Forte_Timer replacement query

I was wondering if there was an addon that did the same thing Forte_Timer does, i.e. track dots etc.. on MULTIPLE (rule out Filger) targets just more alot more lightweight in mem usage? is there anything outthere?
12-27-09, 11:58 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Why are you looking at memory usage? Unless you are using an extremely marginal system (and if that is the case, you are better off installing additional, good quality RAM, not the cheap stuff), lowering the memory usage of your AddOns is not going to matter much unless the AddOn in question keeps using increasing amounts of RAM. However even then, this is usually not issue especially if you are using any kind of data gathering mod or damage meter. However cutting 5 MB (for example) out of your total memory usage is not going help any considering that WoW can use 600+ MB of RAM. The only thing that cutting RAM usage is to shave one or two seconds off your load times.

The thing to really look at is CPU usage. Most WoW AddOns these days (Forte included) are pretty good about their CPU usage.

If you are having performance issues, then you should be looking at things such as dialing back WoW's GFX effects, killing RAM/CPU hungry background processes (such as Bittorrent clients, Skype, Virus scanners and the like). It may be time for an overall system clean-up using tools such as CCleaner, Defraggler and others to tune your system up and clear out the crap.

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-27-09 at 12:00 PM.
12-27-09, 12:35 PM   #3
Xus
A Fallenroot Satyr

You said it!

TBH I don't think well below 1.5 MB of ram for all modules on is that much (not opening the options will save you 250kb, too!). FX will only increase it's memory usage when it HAS to, and not constantly.

FX actually uses 'extra' memory to run faster (I bet many addons do). Memory use doesn't tell you anything about the impact the addon will have on your performance

On a different note; I have much room to improve on the performance in the Spell and Cooldown timers of FX, but they are already dong quite well compared to other ones afaik. I have to admit I still have to do some proper raid performance tests though.
12-27-09, 01:18 PM   #4
Zidomo
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
...lowering the memory usage of your AddOns is not going to matter much unless the AddOn in question keeps using increasing amounts of RAM. However even then, this is usually not issue especially if you are using any kind of data gathering mod or damage meter...
No actually, it does matter. Addons that are poorly designed continually using/leaking memory when they have no functional reason to do so are not good. Just because, for instance, damage meters continually use memory when recording damage does not mean its OK for a coordinate addon (etc.) to do so.

More important, of course, is CPU usage of addons. Nothing in WoW has more of an immediate effect on your framerates than addons which use (excessive) CPU time. And yes, there are a lot of such addons out there.

Unfortunately for the average user, its hard to find out which addons consume CPU time. You need to enable "CPU profiling" (which you must disable after testing as it will lag you in normal play) and use a specialized testing addon (such as OptionHouse) to find out.

Back to the question, a few alternatives which may (or may not) be more resource efficient than ForteXorcist (which is what I assume you mean when you say "Forte_Timer"?):
--Ellipsis (Multi-Target DoT Timers)
--Auracle (De)Buff Monitor
--Ara Dotimer
--ClassTimer
--ButtonTimers
--Yatba
--NeedToKnow

Haven't used or tested any of them (other than ClassTimer long ago); your mileage may vary.

I personally use SpellReminder and have for a long time. But it may not handle multi-target debuffs in the way you want (I haven't played a class that has needed that information--i.e. warlock).
12-27-09, 01:27 PM   #5
Dainton
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It's sad that it took the 3rd person to respond with anything that even grazed the OP's question.
Go with ClassTimer imo; you can set it up to be pretty similar to ForteXorcist.
12-27-09, 03:27 PM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The best replacement that I've found is SexyCooldown.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-27-09, 03:37 PM   #7
Xus
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Dainton View Post
It's sad that it took the 3rd person to respond with anything that even grazed the OP's question.
Go with ClassTimer imo; you can set it up to be pretty similar to ForteXorcist.
true; I was kinda biases when I answered hehe
12-27-09, 05:54 PM   #8
alimjocox
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
hope i wasn't sending the wrong message Xus. I love Forte, definately is an addon a raider cannot live without. Was just curious, just very recently got into Lua and UI munipulation ((and mostly got into wowinterface.com)) lol.

thx for the reply Zidomo appreciate ur help all

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Forte_Timer replacement query