07-18-07, 02:38 PM   #1
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A strange Form of payback

This is from WoWInsider, it was posted yesterday by Mike Schramm.

Imagine for one second that you're an amazing raider (Yes, I know it's hard, but do it anyway). Imagine that a guild working on the Black Temple actually invites you out of your guild to come and raid with them. Would you do it? Would you leave your own guild behind just to go to the Black Temple? That's the choice that one guild's main tank was faced with, and he chose to leave his guild behind. And then they chose to log on to his account, and as payback, as you can see in the movie above, delete every one of his characters.

Ouch is right. Not quite sure that was called for (although, as someone points out, since he's got such a clear record of everything that was deleted, he'll probably be able to get it back from Blizzard). Still, not exactly the best way to congratulate your guildie on getting "promoted." That drama, and much more in this week's GW, which starts right after the jump.

Watch the video. What do you think about this? I've made comments on wowinsider, name is dreadlorde

Clicky

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-18-07, 03:15 PM   #2
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

I am among those who consider that Internet is not a place in which you can behave like you want, a place in which you can hide between a nickname to act like a dick and do stuff you wouldn't dare doing IRL.
Therefore, I do not approve the "hack" of the account of this guy. It is uncalled, low, and it won't make him come back, or even regret. Actually, it'll probably make him feel happy he left a guild with people that are so mean.

About the act of leaving the guild, well, many of us have been, directly or not, concerned by this. Friends leaving to a better guild, or better guilds inviting you. It is not something nice to leave a guild that have helped you and geared you from scratch, in which people treated all treated you as a friend, and that still had a future. Though, to compare that with real life again, people leaving their job because they got a better offer somewhere else (I was thinking "enterprise" at first, but "football club" is probably valid too) is something pretty common. I don't like this, but still, it's something that happens all the time.

I've been asked to join bigger guilds than mine a lot, in early 60ies. I stayed because I didn't want to be the one leaving the others behind. Sometimes, on a sad event, I wished the guild would go from "almost down" to "completely down" so I could leave with no regret (and it finally happened :/).

The thing is that there are two possibilities.
- Either this MT was some officer / guild leader that really invested himself a lot in the guild, did all he can to make it progress, and faced lack of focus and lack of will from some of his members daily, and decided to leave after he had given far more to the guild than he had taken (not talking about items only, but investment, which is even more important). Then well, you sometimes need to take a break, and to change. Those who've led a guild know the feeling. If people cannot respect the fact that a guy might just not want to play if he isn't having fun playing, it's a bit sad.
- Either he was a new MT that got in lately, took all the warrior tier tokens to catch the other tanks fast with some item priority given to tanks, and just left after he got what he wanted. Then, and even if I would try a more diplomatic approach than deleting his characters, it's understandable that people got angry.
07-18-07, 03:39 PM   #3
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

The only fact in that story is Guild or not Guild he should not have shared his password anyway
Then you can discuss whatever you want on what is moral or not it's just a matter of opinions
07-18-07, 11:31 PM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I got the gist of the video after about 30 seconds. Got bored by then too.

Anyways, as Kaomie said, if the guy gave out his password, then he is an idiot and deserves what he gets. If they hacked his account... then I hope they get banned for it and he gets his stuff back.

The morality of the issue could be long debated. I've seen people leave guilds at bad times and well, they are pricks generally. I've also seen guilds split in half for various reasons. Its hard to narrow to any singular reason.

I myself believe in sticking with a guild. You work together, and get geared together. Just like anything in life, there will always be someone that you may not like or get along with. Suck it up. In the 2 years I've been playing my hunter, he's only been through about 4 or 5 guilds. Once was a name change. Twice, the guild fell apart or withered away so I had to move on.

07-19-07, 12:56 AM   #5
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

In the end how someone spends their $15 a month is up to them. It may suck to lose people. I know its happened to my guild. You just pick up and move on.

And yes, if you give out your account info then your an idiot plain and simple. Though i would imagine at this point most of the people in that guild who have traded info would be changing their passwords just in case lol.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-19-07, 01:27 PM   #6
Protpallyftw
A Fallenroot Satyr
I hope that sorry SOB gets banned

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A strange Form of payback