06-16-07, 05:58 PM   #1
Lynara2
A Kobold Labourer
Function vs. eye candy

How many of you remember setting up your EQ UI's for hours not simply for their function but for the beauty in each frame? Here are some excellent examples: T.King mods

So I wonder, why in WoW, a game bounding with artwork that EQ can never know are we left to so many bland unit frame mods. Neon, neon and you guessed it... more neon. Default metal frame, no frame... default metal frame.. no frame. These are our options. This isn't me pointing and blaming authors but rather asking why? Is it that there is no interest or is it something within the game itself that disallows the ability to insert some creativity?
06-16-07, 08:16 PM   #2
muxenle
A Murloc Raider

I have not made a custom UI and uploaded on any sight but i do agree with you. but i do not like the authors who distract with the stuff, or it gets in the way but spending a few minutes to skin stuff really isnt to much to ask is it?
06-16-07, 08:30 PM   #3
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I didn't play EQ very much since I could not get into the game much, but I did see some nice UI's They were pretty, but for me cluttered and blocking.
For WoW, I have never bothered to upload my UI since it has been a work in progress for quite some time, and I haven't d/l anyone elses since I find them also cluttered and or blocking.
But in making my own UI (and in such my wifes as well), I dont really go so much for the look of the UI itself as it is made functional. What I like to see when I play is my game field, whats happening around me, and who is where. And since 90% of my buttons are bound to my numbers or keypad with a modifier, I really do not look at anything other than my minimap and one other bar if I happen to be on priest. Personally, I look for my art in the game, both in the game world and how it is designed, and in the art of playing the game itself.

But you know, that is just me. I have always been functional first, aesthetics second. That doesn't mean they cant go hand in hand, but one persons idea of aesthetic can be very different from another, while functionality will fit a much larger portion of any given population. Just my 2 cents.
06-16-07, 09:26 PM   #4
OttoDeFe
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Take a look at these links from the eepanels thread at WowAce

Screenie Links
but if there's a war
I just don't know if a Bic will save ya..."

-- Last Offence

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Function vs. eye candy