06-15-07, 10:32 AM   #1
Xalin
A Defias Bandit
Ace Addons

As we know, the Ace/Ace2 addons use substantially less memory then the usually addon does. Until recently, I've only used a few, but upon reading another post about less memory consumption, It has kind of inspired me to use more of the Ace addons. Here's a list of my addons, and while I search through the Ace websites, could you all tell me which ones use alot of memory and post their ace/or even better replacements? thank joos
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Please correct me If I've made some mistakes)

1. !ImprovedErrorFrames
2. !StopTheSpam
3. AdvancedTradeSkillWIndow
4. AHExtend
5. Atlas
7. Atlas CoT
8. Atlas Extras
9. Atlasloot
10. Bongos2
11. Bongos2_ActionBar
12 Bongos2_CastBar
13. Bongos2_Mapbar
14. Bongos2_Options
15. Bongos2_Stats
16. Bongos2_XP
17. Cartographer
18. DeuceCommander
19. DuribilityStatus
20. EQCompare
21. EQL3
22. EZDismount
23. ItemPriceToolTip
24. ItemRack
25. LoadIt
26. MapReveal
27. MetaHud
28. MetaHudOPT
29. MobHealth
30. Necrosis
31. OmniCC
32. OneBag
33. OneBank
34. PhanxChat
35. Planner
36. RatingBuster
37. SorrensTimers
06-15-07, 10:40 AM   #2
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Hmm, looking at your list right now I can see a couple of redundant addons. Such as Atlas and RevealMap with Cartographer. Cartographer takes care of boss loot in instances as well as having the "foglight" plugin to reveal the map. Maybe replace MetaHUD with ArcHUD2, replace EQL3 with either nQuestLog or Doublewide?

Just some suggestions, some Ace addons can be as heavy or heavier than non-Ace addons, it all depends on how they're coded and the type of database they keep. For example, my Ace ItemSync can use 35+ mb of memory after a search with over 75,000 items stored. I run enough addons that I sit at around 70-75mb of memory on average at start up.

Some more Ace replacements...
Bongos2 - Bartender3
Bongos2_Castbar - Quartz
Bongos2_Mapbar - Squeenix
Bongos2_XP - XPBarNone

Last edited by GrissomXIX : 06-15-07 at 10:47 AM.
06-15-07, 10:43 AM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[quote=Xalin]As we know, the Ace/Ace2 addons use substantially less memory then the usually addon does. Until recently, I've only used a few, but upon reading another post about less memory consumption, It has kind of inspired me to use more of the Ace addons. Here's a list of my addons, and while I search through the Ace websites, could you all tell me which ones use alot of memory and post their ace/or even better replacements? thank joos
(Please correct me If I've made some mistakes)

1. !ImprovedErrorFrames - ErrorMonster
2. !StopTheSpam - already ace
3. AdvancedTradeSkillWIndow
4. AHExtend - Fence
5. Atlas - cartographer
7. Atlas CoT - cartographer
8. Atlas Extras - cartographer
9. Atlasloot - cartographer
10. Bongos2 - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
11. Bongos2_ActionBar - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
12 Bongos2_CastBar - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
13. Bongos2_Mapbar - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
14. Bongos2_Options - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
15. Bongos2_Stats - keep it, usues less memory than bartender3
16. Bongos2_XP - FuXPFU
17. Cartographer - Keep it
18. DeuceCommander - Keep it
19. DuribilityStatus - duratek
20. EQCompare - already ace
21. EQL3 - keep it
22. EZDismount - mountme
23. ItemPriceToolTip - colalight
24. ItemRack - closetgnome
25. LoadIt - ACP or rMCP
26. MapReveal - cartographer
27. MetaHud - ARCHUD
28. MetaHudOPT - ARCHUD
29. MobHealth & blizzard unit frames
30. Necrosis - keep it
31. OmniCC - keep it
32. OneBag - already ace
33. OneBank - already ace
34. PhanxChat - prat
35. Planner - don't know whta it is so I'm gonna guess it's for talents, use Talented if it is.
36. RatingBuster - keep it
37. SorrensTimers - already ace

Get Fubar also, works good with all ace addons

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-15-07, 10:48 AM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Agreed. Drop Atlas mods in favor of Cartographer. Otherwise I think Dread covered it all. I use !BugGrabber and BugSack for my error handling but that's personal choice.

06-15-07, 11:26 AM   #5
Xalin
A Defias Bandit
Thank you all SO much, the list of addons you've given has really helped me .
06-15-07, 11:34 AM   #6
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Hmm, how much memory does Bongos use? I can't see Bartender3 in my top 20 (over 625KiB).
06-15-07, 11:35 AM   #7
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by GrissomXIX
Hmm, how much memory does Bongos use? I can't see Bartender3 in my top 20 (over 625KiB).
435~

That's in an instance, when addons use more memory because you doing more stuff.

06-15-07, 11:43 AM   #8
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Bongos2 is very well-coded. Having used both Bartender3 and Bongos2, I wound up sticking with Bongos2 even though it's not an Ace2 addon. I didn't need all of the features from Bartender3, and Bongos2 seemed to be taking up less memory overall.

Also, the author of ColaLight actually discontinued development of the mod in favor of Sellfish, a non-Ace2 mod with the same functionality that uses less memory. Sellfish is on this site. It's actually by the same author as Bongos2.

I run mostly Ace2 mods myself, so I am definitely not knocking them! But sometimes a non-Ace2 mod can be just as good or better.
06-15-07, 09:37 PM   #9
Farook
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Jesamyn
I run mostly Ace2 mods myself, so I am definitely not knocking them! But sometimes a non-Ace2 mod can be just as good or better.
Though I love Ace and its mods, I absolutely have to agree to what Jesamyn just said.

tekKompare (to replace EQCompare or similar addons) is another good example for that.
06-15-07, 09:39 PM   #10
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Farook
Though I love Ace and its mods, I absolutely have to agree to what Jesamyn just said.

tekKompare (to replace EQCompare or similar addons) is another good example for that.
QFT

(too short)

06-15-07, 09:39 PM   #11
Gryphon
An Aku'mai Servant
The brainwashing is a success.
06-15-07, 09:54 PM   #12
Doomborne
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Gryphon
That's funny, coming from someone that works on Cosmos.
06-15-07, 10:51 PM   #13
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Xalin
As we know, the Ace/Ace2 addons use substantially less memory then the usually addon does. Until recently, I've only used a few, but upon reading another post about less memory consumption, It has kind of inspired me to use more of the Ace addons. Here's a list of my addons, and while I search through the Ace websites, could you all tell me which ones use alot of memory and post their ace/or even better replacements? thank joos
That is completely BS.

An addon is as good as its author. No better, no worse. No library ... I repeat NO LIBRARY can change this fact.

Originally Posted by Gryphon
To paraphrase MIB, "A person is smart, people are stupid"
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-15-07, 11:41 PM   #14
N00bZXI
A Defias Bandit
Truth, Shirik.

In some cases, especially when the addon is TINY, using a library can HURT performance.
06-16-07, 04:51 PM   #15
amz370
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
problems with ace addons:

they all share the same "memory" usage file. my memory looks like this after a trash clear. ACE Swstats period table for top 3

bongos...i like it better do to teh interface than BT3
06-16-07, 11:16 PM   #16
Phanx
Cat.

Angry PhanxChat DOES use Ace2.

I see this constantly on "what Ace mods do this" threads. My description on the addon page even SAYS it uses Ace2 libraries... do people not read? I think the "problem" is that I don't use the WowAce SVN, and people make the mistaken assumption that if it's not on WowAce, it doesn't use Ace2. It does use Ace2, and I have reasons for choosing to NOT put it on WowAce.

(1) It's enough work keeping an addon up to date on WoWI, UI.WoW, and Curse without having to learn how to use an SVN client to keep it up to date on WowAce too.

(2) If I put it on the SVN, chances are other people won't be able to resist sticking their grubby little fingers into it and breaking it, or doing things I don't want done with it.

(3) It doesn't change that often. All of the major UI sites have a feature to send you an email notification when an addon on your favorites list is updated -- it's not that much work for you to click a link in your email to download an addon.

So, if it's too much work for you to download an update once a month from somewhere other than the WowAceUpdater, feel free to use something else.

Also, as others have pointed out, an addon isn't automatically better because it uses Ace2. PhanxChat does use Ace2, because it meant less coding work for me, but others of my addons don't use Ace2, because it didn't benefit me. For a user, what libraries an addon uses or doesn't use shouldn't even be a consideration.

Last edited by Phanx : 06-16-07 at 11:18 PM.
06-17-07, 12:17 AM   #17
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Phanx
I see this constantly on "what Ace mods do this" threads. My description on the addon page even SAYS it uses Ace2 libraries... do people not read? I think the "problem" is that I don't use the WowAce SVN, and people make the mistaken assumption that if it's not on WowAce, it doesn't use Ace2.
QFT.

Someone asked for an 'ace equivalent' mod on the wowace.com forums the other day for a mod that I also use...which already uses Ace2 (probably for the reasons your post stated). That's something that really annoys me, both because of there not being a reason they wanted to change aside from using an Ace2 mod and because they thought it didn't use Ace2 since it wasn't from wowace.com. (I will admit that I am easily annoyed, however...and that I like parentheses a bit too much.) I've noticed that when people are looking for Ace2 replacement mods lately, there is more of an attitude of 'well, is there a REASON why you want to replace it, other than just to use an Ace'd mod?' I'll admit that I really like the WinAceUpdater. However, when it comes down to it, I just want a mod that does what I want, not more than what I want, and does it efficiently. Since I am insanely lazy, I'm glad there are really sharp mod authors out there who write some very tight code.

In in defense of the OP, he did say 'could you all tell me which ones use alot of memory and post their ace/or even better replacements?' BTW Xalin, sorry for hijacking your thread!

*ends rant...steps off of soapbox...goes back to watching Bleach*
06-17-07, 09:25 AM   #18
OttoDeFe
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Besides,

From what I've seen of Phanx' mods and preferences, you'd be hard pressed to find others with less impact on performance.

Read the posts: they do what they say. No more, no less, no frills.
but if there's a war
I just don't know if a Bic will save ya..."

-- Last Offence
06-17-07, 10:06 AM   #19
Ricowan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

There are a lot of misconceptions regarding code libraries in general, not just in the WoW modder community. The number one misconception (in my opinion) is that ACE2 is a single library. It isn't, there's a very large number of libraries that fall under the ACE2 family, and if an addon you use is the only one in your addons folder using a particular library, you are most likely wasting memory, rather than saving it. Especially if the addon only uses a small part of that library; in this case the addon would benefit *you* more if it didn't use the library. But, if you have five addons that all use that same library, you're going to save memory even if each addon only uses a small part of the library. The main issue is that the vast majority of addon users aren't programmers, so they have to base their choices on good information, and that's sorely lacking in any official, easily accessible format. The ACE2 libraries do benefit the person that uses a lot of addons, who is able to select those addons that share libraries efficiently. I use ACE2 in three of the addons I write, so I do know a bit about the issues.
06-17-07, 09:09 PM   #20
Farook
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx
I see this constantly on "what Ace mods do this" threads. My description on the addon page even SAYS it uses Ace2 libraries... do people not read?
No, they don't.

Unfortunately.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Ace Addons