07-19-05, 07:13 PM   #1
bopo119
A Murloc Raider
/console ReloadUI woes

I can't seem to get help on the official WoW boards, so maybe someone here can help:

I was in Un'Goro farming and I began getting an error when targetting mobs/players. I can't say I copied the Error because thats not really why I'm here. I waited a while until I decided it was bugging me and so I did a /console ReloadUI to start with a fresh UI without logging out. After I did /console ReloadUI, I came back and found most of my UI options had been reset and my combat log was on top of my chat log.

I logged out and closed WoW and checked to see if /console ReloadUI had replaced and backed up my old SavedVariables.lua (and it had; I've noticed WoW is notorious for doing this, though I don't know why). I tried swapping them out and everytime it loaded the new SavedVariables.lua (which is correctly 3.6mb) it would always only load part of it and swap it again. The file it loaded would be 2.8mb instead of 3.6 and it seemed to only have found about half of my settings. I've tried swapping it several times now both with the game running (and doing /console ReloadUI) and with starting WoW up brand new.

Can anyone suggest what WoW is doing before I... cancel my subscription? I'm pretty tired of $!@% like this happening with my UI and I don't see any reason to fix it now, they seem to be asking me to leave.
07-19-05, 07:18 PM   #2
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I assume since you are referencing the saved variables that you're using a Mod of some sort. Have you tried unloading the Mod completely first to see if the error recurrs?
07-19-05, 07:21 PM   #3
bopo119
A Murloc Raider
Thats not really why I'm here ><

The problem is I can't get my correct SavedVariables.lua file to load. WoW seems to load some random file. I don't know what its doing or how to make it stop, hence my coming here.
07-19-05, 07:22 PM   #4
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hence my suggestion to unload the mod to see if thats the source of your issues.
07-19-05, 07:24 PM   #5
bopo119
A Murloc Raider
However, since you are asking about the error, let me explain:

The error is infrequent and only comes around once a week at most. I seem to ignore it and it goes away. I tried to reload my UI (as opposed to logging out) as a temporary workaround, that is where my real problem began. Some of my settings are gone and WoW appears to be loading the wrong file for my SavedVariables.lua file.
07-19-05, 07:29 PM   #6
bopo119
A Murloc Raider
Ok, I misunderstood you.

I unloaded all my mods and placed the correct SavedVariables.lua in there and it loaded correctly. I then logged out to enable the mods again and it went back to the butchered version... =/
07-19-05, 07:41 PM   #7
bopo119
A Murloc Raider
Well, after reviewing the contents of the correct one, I've decided it is in fact not the correct one. WoW has deleted or pruned away my correct SavedVariables.lua, I guess.... I'll restart anew.
07-20-05, 12:57 AM   #8
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
one thing that can foobar a savedvariables file is if a addon accidently sets a tables' index to a table.

i.e.

saved = {}
index = {bob = "dole"}

saved[index] = "sexy beast man";

assuming saved was marked to be int he sv.lua you'd have one foobared sv file

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » /console ReloadUI woes