10-13-05, 08:23 AM   #1
Ravendwyr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question WoW UI Des "Saved Variables" Reset on Updating

Greetings.

Every time I update WoW UI Designer from this site, my layout settings get reset to how they were when I first downloaded v1.0.100.0. I believe the problem is that the saved settings are saved in a file which gets overwritten when I update.

Can you tell me which file(s) saves the "Saved Variables" of WoW UI Designer, so I know which file to ignore when updating?

I have a feeling it's the 'wowuides.exe.config' file, but I want to make sure just incase I'm wrong

Cheers!

- D.I.
10-13-05, 02:05 PM   #2
Nulkris
A Cobalt Mageweaver

The layout is saved to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\SSC\wowuides\1.0.100.3\dockstate.xml

As you can see it is tied directly to the version number, so the old file is still there, it just doesn't get looked at any more when I update the file version number. I will have to do some version migration stuff soon I suppose~

The other settings are saved to

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Application Data\SSC\wowuides.exe\1.0.100.3\user.config

which is the actual user settings you set, the wowuides.exe.config file is a template for that file describing the data types of the settings and the default values.
10-14-05, 02:45 AM   #3
Ravendwyr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thumbs up

Cool.

Why not have wowuides save everything to one directory (user configurable perhaps? ), and update the saved data when a new version comes out?

Take your time on this if you like, as your info has given me an idea on how to migrate from version to version.

BTW, my name is Steve aswell

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » WoW UI Des "Saved Variables" Reset on Updating