05-29-09, 06:51 AM   #1
ckaotik
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Screen Real Estate

I usually install and test any new addons on my laptop. Unfortunately it's resolution is 1024x600, which is a lot of horizontal space missing.

Therefore, the Minion's impression isn't extremely shiny as you can see in the screenshot I personally don't mind the ads, just ... I hardly see anything else >.< As you can imagine, fullscreen doesn't really help either. So I was wondering, if you could create a smaller sized interface, maybe using a banner (e.g. at the top, move statistics to the bottom) rather than that box or whatever. Also, wowinterface news on another tab would help a lot

I'm also kind of missing the donate-button, where did you hide it? ^^
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	2742  
05-29-09, 07:13 AM   #2
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

The donator button is the small envelope with dollar bills in it next to each addons name.

EDIT: It's next to the "Status" and "Progress" tabs, so to speak.
05-30-09, 03:37 PM   #3
ckaotik
A Fallenroot Satyr

So that's one question answered Still, I think two lines is a little ... wierd. I'd like to see my addons at a glance, and not have to scroll for more than two entries.
05-30-09, 04:22 PM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
In all honesty, I developed this mostly on a 1280x800 screen with 1024x768 minimum in mind. I hate to say this but 1024x600 is a bit behind the times.

I will look at what I can do, but it wasn't in the original plan.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-31-09, 04:44 PM   #5
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
As I've posted in another topic - remove logo, it's just too big, saves about 15% of vertical resolution.
News / adPanel could be on a side. Square banner is probably worst idea you could come up with.

Also I'm yet to see actual Ads (even when let IE to access internet), either they don't load (gray box) or there is IE error (red cross icon) despite my default browser is Firefox. Then if I actually click it will open in JWebBrowser. Same happens on your frontpage in IE. My guess IE doesn't like URL.

If go ahead and disable adblock(!) in my firefox it does loads, so blame Necrosoft.

Good idea would be to open some page with banners in user's default browser, more reliable too... and still annoying, but you can actually close it and work with your addons instead of having IE error since blocking it from internet is first thing I do when I install Windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good-bad.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	2761  

Last edited by Elhana : 05-31-09 at 05:02 PM.
06-02-09, 06:13 AM   #6
ckaotik
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
In all honesty, I developed this mostly on a 1280x800 screen with 1024x768 minimum in mind. I hate to say this but 1024x600 is a bit behind the times.

I will look at what I can do, but it wasn't in the original plan.
Thanks for looking into it! "A bit behind" is maybe how you see it, for me I'm just not that willing to pay 1-2 thousand Euro just for a somewhat light notebook. And netbooks are booming kind of ... Anyway, it's not like I'm actually playing on it As I said, free time at university is great for finding and testing new addons.
06-02-09, 08:43 AM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
Good idea would be to open some page with banners in user's default browser, more reliable too... and still annoying, but you can actually close it and work with your addons instead of having IE error since blocking it from internet is first thing I do when I install Windows.
I won't do that

However I am looking at changing the tool for the embedded browser. It has too many problems on other OSes
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
06-03-09, 09:45 PM   #8
daf
A Kobold Labourer
Kind of reported this to the bug tracker as issue #194.

For me this is really a deal breaker, specialy that curse client in the same conditions can still show 10 addons in the list (5x more). I'm hoping the UI isn't set in stone due to module requirements because it would be a shame to be forced to leave such a usability flaw on low res displays .

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Screen Real Estate