01-15-09, 11:46 PM   #241
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
hey guys, sorry not been about, birth of my little girl at the start of the month kinda been taking up a lot of my time. things are settling in now and i have a bit more time on my hands and would love to lend a hand here.

progress looks good so far, i could lend a hand if you like.

i had thought about writing a seperate addon for unit frames, we dont need the options like duf just the backbone that tells mazzle where to put everything, maybe we/i can start on this.

also how did you get around the issue of secure action buttons for bongos, i would be interested to take a look.

on another note i have been working on some other art that will snap in to mazzle once done to give the end users a bit more flexability

anyway let me know your thoughts, mazzle are your old forums still up and what would be the chances of having a look around?
01-16-09, 06:51 PM   #242
Davnel
A Fallenroot Satyr

Hm I've (finally) restarted work on Aura Unit Frame, which I more or less based the concept of replacing DUF. If you wont I'd be more than willing to tweak the code to make it work with Mazzle how you want. (Also having a deadline beside my self imposed ones tends to mean I do the work ).

Let me know if your interested, and if theres you'd need from the addon if you did want to use it.

Alistair

P.S. Ignore any code I have on the site atm, its not the version I'm working on, total rewrites ftw :S

Last edited by Davnel : 01-16-09 at 06:55 PM.
01-16-09, 07:46 PM   #243
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Davnel View Post
Hm I've (finally) restarted work on Aura Unit Frame, which I more or less based the concept of replacing DUF. If you wont I'd be more than willing to tweak the code to make it work with Mazzle how you want. (Also having a deadline beside my self imposed ones tends to mean I do the work ).

Let me know if your interested, and if theres you'd need from the addon if you did want to use it.

Alistair

P.S. Ignore any code I have on the site atm, its not the version I'm working on, total rewrites ftw :S

I like the 'purpose' of Aura Unit frames, as you described on your download page. A lighter DuF could only be a good thing, and that was my reasoning with the oUF idea. Having the customization of DuF, without all of the heavy extras. Another thing I like about oUF is everything is hardcoded and needs no setup, a -plug n play- unit frames that work light. Some people may not like that aspect of it, but I think it's best for a ui such as Mazzle. I don't care who gets a working frames addon for this, as long as it can recreate the looks and operation of how Mazzleui was with DuF without memory leaks and performance issues.
01-16-09, 09:08 PM   #244
twobits
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by mikey2k View Post
progress looks good so far, i could lend a hand if you like.
More hands sounds good!

i had thought about writing a seperate addon for unit frames, we dont need the options like duf just the backbone that tells mazzle where to put everything, maybe we/i can start on this.
Seems everyone wants to replace the Unit Frames. Not a bad idea, but might be a stage two goal? First goal may be to just get something running then do the clean up/upgrades?

also how did you get around the issue of secure action buttons for bongos, i would be interested to take a look.
I didn't. If you noticed I listed getting bongos running under 3.0 as a still needed to be done task. Or at least some bar mod I guess if we want to reevaluate that also. I just replaced enough to get it to run. A few of the bars now work, but the player action bar does not yet. It still needs the stubs written to actually work, if you notice in my screen shot the action bar is still the blizzard one. If you are interested in this, then that would be a better task to pick up right now then the unit frames, that is really the last sticking point. Once that is done the rest while time consuming is not difficult.

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I like the 'purpose' of Aura Unit frames, as you described on your download page. A lighter DuF could only be a good thing, and that was my reasoning with the oUF idea. Having the customization of DuF, without all of the heavy extras. Another thing I like about oUF is everything is hardcoded and needs no setup, a -plug n play- unit frames that work light. Some people may not like that aspect of it, but I think it's best for a ui such as Mazzle. I don't care who gets a working frames addon for this, as long as it can recreate the looks and operation of how Mazzleui was with DuF without memory leaks and performance issues.
I guess that depends on how much work Yhor has in to it, and which path looks better. Probably something to has out which seems the best way to go with.
01-16-09, 09:44 PM   #245
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

twobits wrote:
First goal may be to just get something running then do the clean up/upgrades?
My thought process would be to first get the "look n feel" options working and then proceed from there, step by step adding in the new feature "checks". Evaluating (limited discussion) what, if anything, needs to be replaced and with what. In doing this, imo, the evaluation should be as quick and painless as possible, so as to not bog down with too much debate about addon x being better because it has that one button that does y. Bringing these things up is a good thing, but beating the discussion into the ground should be left out, for sake of progress.

That being said, I'm a little guy that doesn't know a great deal about coding. If I'm off base, I offer my deepest apology; it just "seems" like this would be the most expeditious way to progress with more people (hopefully) getting involved (that can help).
01-17-09, 12:45 AM   #246
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
I didn't have time to read all 13 pages of this thread, and nor do I have any real skills to offer, but I'd suggest maybe opening a Google Code project or something like that to offer more structure to the project than a forum post. As information can/will get lost in the the thread.

Just and idea.
01-19-09, 07:54 AM   #247
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
hey twobits, is there a chance of getting what you have worked on so far, so i can start toying with the bar mod, if yhor is doing unit frames i can also start n updating the mob info 3d models

no point in us all making different fixes to get the core working, or at least tell us what you did?
01-19-09, 03:24 PM   #248
twobits
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by mikey2k View Post
hey twobits, is there a chance of getting what you have worked on so far, so i can start toying with the bar mod, if yhor is doing unit frames i can also start n updating the mob info 3d models

no point in us all making different fixes to get the core working, or at least tell us what you did?
All right, since Yhor won't have time till Feb. to work on things from what he said and you are already active on UF addon anyway, lets see if we can use your work.

I can get you what you need to pick up on the bars if you are seriously going to pick up and work on that piece. If you just want to 'toy' with it I would prefer not to spend the time it would take me to clean/package up a snapshot point of it.
01-20-09, 07:28 PM   #249
Inygo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm willing to help as well, somone just assign me something to do ;p
01-21-09, 06:42 PM   #250
twobits
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Inygo View Post
I'm willing to help as well, somone just assign me something to do ;p
In one of my last posts I mentioned a few tasks that need to be done yet, pick one and let me know!
01-21-09, 06:47 PM   #251
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by twobits View Post
In one of my last posts I mentioned a few tasks that need to be done yet, pick one and let me know!
well i can start on a bar mod, or intergrate something llike dominos into the buildd you have, the latter might be a better idea as we will see quicker results, the author of bongos is the same person that created dominos so im sure if we ask he would be happy to let us implament it,
01-23-09, 10:10 PM   #252
mikey2k
A Cliff Giant
ok so no reply in a couple of days, to be honest i have started making my own compilation and decided to move away from mazzle. my new ui is based on the old version of urkUI which dissappeared a long time ago, so look out in the download section for that one.

i would like to take the oppertunity to thank mazzle for making 2 years of wow a pleasure to play as we all hate the default ui. i would also like to wish all of you good luck in getting mazzleui up to date with wotlk.

signing out mikey2k
01-24-09, 06:36 PM   #253
Davnel
A Fallenroot Satyr

Well if everything doesn't go pear shaped next week I should have a beta or late alpha version of Aura Unit frames up and running for people to play with.

Of course this depends on the amount of coursework I get saddled with but it shouldn't be to bad
01-25-09, 02:39 PM   #254
twobits
An Aku'mai Servant
All right, finally had some time to work on this again yesterday, end of last week was hectic with some things and I needed to update some mods for 3.0.8.

What I did was write the start of a Bad Bar mod, it has everything hard coded but it does at least replace the blizzard action bar and let me see a bar and play the game now after mazzification. Still a few days work just in this area left though. Not sure also when I will have a few days to work on it, as I have been told I need to do New Years stuff this week. I am still leaning towards either fixing up the bar mod in Mazzle or writing a new one as the best path to take here though. In PMs and such though seems most do not agree with me here.... maybe someone should open up a new thread for just this issue since most here have used bar mods far longer then I have (a whole week now, lol).

I also found that some context menu needs to be updated to use the new secure handler system as well, but since I never used Mazzle, I am not sure just what this does as of yet.
01-25-09, 03:07 PM   #255
Davnel
A Fallenroot Satyr

showed and hid a menu (think it was something liek bar 10) on click of a button
01-25-09, 03:20 PM   #256
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

showed and hid a menu (think it was something liek bar 10) on click of a button
Very similar to Geist, and with the way action button IDs are working now, I'm not too sure how this is going to work for some classes/specs (Moonkin/Tree, for example). With all of the improvements made to Autobar since the creation of Mazzleui (and Context Menu), I'm not 100% sure of the necessity of keeping it (although it makes me sad to even type those words out).

As for the actionbars themselves, Spiel did a bit of work on nUI to avoid the hassle that Mazzleui went through on patch day for actionbars. Using a lot of the default code he's managed to keep it pretty stable with quick patch releases... as needed. Maybe you're on the right track with that.
01-25-09, 08:18 PM   #257
alenda
A Cliff Giant

I agree, one of the things I found most frustrating with patches is the fact that bongos1 wasn't being continued, and was such an integral part of the UI. Having a dedicated barmod that could be maintained by people interested in the project would be beneficial for patches, and gives us all the flexibility that's needed.

I think the general consensus was that Macaroon was the best option for MazzleUI's smart placement of bars and spells, I don't use it myself currently, so I can't vouch for how well it works. Dominos definitely has no issues, works well with pet bars/vehicles, etc. Either of those addons could probably answer any questions you might have about barmods. Dominos especially was written to mesh most closely with the default bars in order to not require changes very often.

Another important issue when dealing with barmods is paging, specifically for stance changes, having to manually set things up for my warrior or druid close to the end of TBC when Bongos1 wasn't working too well was super annoying. There are a few new instances of these, warlock's demo form, rogue's shadow dance come to mind immediately.

Yay making more work and not being able to code!
01-25-09, 09:31 PM   #258
Davnel
A Fallenroot Satyr

if i remember correctly back when I used mazzle, I swapped in and out my bars for the newer versions, only thing that got broken there was the auto placement. The custom bar was custom coded.

Side note the hud based hp bars are linked to duf. So those will be lost, I personally like having that type of bar so I'll either make an AUF module for them, or see if anyone has a suggestion for a mod that just shows the player/targets hp and casting.
01-25-09, 09:58 PM   #259
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

<snip>

Side note the hud based hp bars are linked to duf. So those will be lost, I personally like having that type of bar so I'll either make an AUF module for them, or see if anyone has a suggestion for a mod that just shows the player/targets hp and casting.
I've found that Dhud is about the closest to the Mazzle hud without much configuration at all. In some areas I like it better, for instance, it has an Elite, Resting, and Rare graphic that is over the healthbar of your target (hud healthbar), as it applies).
01-26-09, 12:23 AM   #260
alenda
A Cliff Giant

I will be really mad if the artwork for the original mazzlehud isn't used. I currently am not using a hud because the art all sucks compared to the mazzle artwork.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleUI 3.0/WOTLK Devs Only