09-08-07, 01:21 PM   #1
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Smile HappyTotem

This thread is for questions, comments, protests about HappyTotem.

HappyTotem is a little totem mod that gives you a bar with four slots: Earth, Fire, Water, Air. As you place totems they appear on the bar, disappearing from it again when they're destroyed. It also shows their remaining duration in the style of WoW's target buffs and debuffs, with a shadow extending clockwise around the totem's icon as its duration is used up. The bar can be dragged around by its title, which stays invisible until you hold the mouse over it for a second or so.

It can be found on wowinterface here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...appyTotem.html

Hopefully you enjoy it!

Last edited by yllamana : 09-09-07 at 06:20 AM.
09-12-07, 05:14 AM   #2
wulfy27
Addon Junkie

Talking

Thank you so much for the quick reply and addition. This mod is awesome!!!!! I had no idea I was so bad about moving out of range. TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY!!
09-12-07, 10:26 AM   #3
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
You're welcome, I'm glad you like it.
09-17-07, 12:46 AM   #4
zzing
A Defias Bandit
Heya! Thanks for making this mod : ) it's pretty nifty!

I've got 2 requests though. Would it be possible to give it a scale option, and would it be possible to clear the totems from the bar if you click on it? When you're done fighting for instance and you move on, the totem timers stay up till they expire or you recast.
09-17-07, 06:01 AM   #5
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by zzing
Heya! Thanks for making this mod : ) it's pretty nifty!

I've got 2 requests though. Would it be possible to give it a scale option, and would it be possible to clear the totems from the bar if you click on it? When you're done fighting for instance and you move on, the totem timers stay up till they expire or you recast.
Thanks. The scale option is something that people have asked about before, so I'll try and add it sometime.

For the second, what level is your shaman? At level 30 you get Totemic Call, and casting it should always clear your totem bar (for some reason the game lets you cast Totemic Call once even if you have no totems up). It's not perfect before then, but... hmm. Maybe I can add something for it sometime too.

Thanks very much for your feedback!
09-17-07, 09:07 AM   #6
Argo007
A Cyclonian
Hi,

i' ve sent you a pm with a downloadlink for the german localisation file and other fixes for the german client.

greetz Argonaut
09-17-07, 09:58 AM   #7
zzing
A Defias Bandit
Ah ok : ) my shammy's lvl 27
09-17-07, 11:50 AM   #8
Argo007
A Cyclonian
German localisation fixed. Dowload in pm as usual.

Greets Argonaut

EDIT: yeahh...now i understand the rangecheck....german localisation totaly fixed.
rangecheck works.

Last edited by Argo007 : 09-17-07 at 12:35 PM.
10-12-07, 07:02 AM   #9
armo
A Defias Bandit
Where can I download the german version of Happy Totem?
10-12-07, 07:15 AM   #10
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
I never got around to uploading it because I kinda quit the game. :/ I'll upload my last version (which has the German one mostly working I hope!).
10-12-07, 07:29 AM   #11
armo
A Defias Bandit
jeah would be great..
it's a pity that you can't develop it further..;(

Last edited by armo : 10-12-07 at 07:32 AM.
10-13-07, 02:13 PM   #12
stqn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hi,

thanks for this nice addon!

Just so you know, the Localisation_de.lua file contains the English text.

Also it won't work because UnitClass() returns a localised class, and the rank value is localised too. Fixing both of these is easy: just remove the useless UnitClass() check, and localise the ranks...

I'm actually playing with the French client, and created a French translation (by copy-pasting the translations from Babbles-Spell-2.2). Some texts were missing in Babbles-Spell so I'm not sure if everything's ok, since my shaman is only level 18 and I don't have access to all totems.

Now I'm glad to finally have found a totems cooldown addon. The only thing that I'd like is that the bar disappears automatically when there are no more totems left, but I think I'll find a way to do it myself ;).

My changes are of course available if anyone wants them...
10-14-07, 12:07 AM   #13
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the heads up about the localisation file being wrong. I had the file in the wrong place and just had the old placeholder there. :/

I hope I've made it about as easy as possible to make new localisations. The only really tricky part is the hit text parsing, which needs a proper update in the English version too anyway (since lua doesn't entirely support proper regular expressions so matching the text properly is a little more complicated, unfortunately).

I also had known about the "Shaman" issue but hadn't updated it yet and forgot about it since I'm not playing anymore . Unfortunately Blizzard made it a lot harder to make addons work properly in the international clients by providing no way for us to change language, at least as far as I know.

I hope when the right version goes up (it's listed as 1.1.3b) that it will work fine in both languages.

I'm glad you enjoyed the addon though. I had wanted to make the totems pulse when they did their effect (like when Tremor Totem pulses, or Grounding absorbs a spell, Poison Cleansing removes a poison, etc) but never got around to it.

It was a good experience overall, even if it seemed like Blizzard makes things more difficult than they really have to be at times.
10-14-07, 03:21 AM   #14
Argo007
A Cyclonian
Hi again,

I've fixed the localisation for the german client.
Localisation for classname and rank are now build in the main lua file and the localisation files.
the only problem ist the HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT in the localisation.

HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT = "^.+ trifft (Totem)* f\195\188r (%d+)";
did not work in the german client.

I try to find the right spelling and will fix it.

greetz Argonaut

PS: Should i send you my version or may i contribute it myself?
10-14-07, 03:36 AM   #15
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Argo007
Hi again,

I've fixed the localisation for the german client.
Localisation for classname and rank are now build in the main lua file and the localisation files.
the only problem ist the HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT in the localisation.

HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT = "^.+ trifft (Totem)* f\195\188r (%d+)";
did not work in the german client.

I try to find the right spelling and will fix it.

greetz Argonaut

PS: Should i send you my version or may i contribute it myself?
It's probably better for you to contribute it. I don't mind. Before I would have rather it went through me (so we have one really good version instead of risking having several versions all with their own specific good points) but now that I'm not playing it would just be a hassle and I can't test any of it anyway.

For what it's worth, if anyone does want to develop it further in whatever direction, or use it as the basis for their own mod, I don't mind, though I was deliberately keeping it to totems to avoid feature creep. Let me tell you, after I got Earth Shield it was pretty tempting to add something to track that.

Regarding the totem hit thing, as I suggested in the readme, that part really needs a minor overhaul. Because of the slightly limited way lua does regular expressions I don't think it's practical to do it in one line, especially in the international clients (where you can have different word orders that make the identification a little more complex than in the English localisation).
10-14-07, 07:19 AM   #16
stqn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Right, I had to change the code to handle correctly the hit expressions:

HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_A = "^.+ touche (Totem .+) [XVI]+ et inflige (%d+)"
HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_B = "^.+ touche (Totem .+) et inflige (%d+)"

and in the code:

local totem, damage = string.match(arg1, HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_A)
if (totem) then
-- I don't know how to write "if not totem" in lua
else
totem, damage = string.match(arg1, HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_B)
end

PS: I agree with you, several things are way more complicated than they should be! (talking about creating addons for WoW, not about your code )

Last edited by stqn : 10-14-07 at 07:25 AM.
10-14-07, 07:45 AM   #17
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by stqn
Right, I had to change the code to handle correctly the hit expressions:

HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_A = "^.+ touche (Totem .+) [XVI]+ et inflige (%d+)"
HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_B = "^.+ touche (Totem .+) et inflige (%d+)"

and in the code:

local totem, damage = string.match(arg1, HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_A)
if (totem) then
-- I don't know how to write "if not totem" in lua
else
totem, damage = string.match(arg1, HAPPYTOTEM_PATTERN_TOTEM_HIT_B)
end
That looks good. Also, you'd need similar expressions for critical hits I believe, or if someone manages to kill your totem with a crit then the mod won't notice (a problem also in the English localisation that I didn't fix before I left).
10-14-07, 03:22 PM   #18
stqn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for the info, I'll add support for that.

However, now that I'm thinking about it... Why count the damage points? Why not simply detect the string "Totem has been destroyed"?
10-14-07, 08:49 PM   #19
yllamana
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by stqn
Thanks for the info, I'll add support for that.

However, now that I'm thinking about it... Why count the damage points? Why not simply detect the string "Totem has been destroyed"?
For some reason that string only shows up when the totem dies of old age. When it's hit by an enemy and killed, that message doesn't appear. No message appears. It's a little silly.

That way was how I did it at first, but I had to change it to counting the damage because I couldn't see any other way to detect one's totem being killed by enemies. I ended up taking out the "Totem has been destroyed" part entirely because it was redundant - the duration timer lets it know when the totem is going to expire from time, with the added benefit that the duration timer always works, whereas you don't always get a "Totem has been destroyed" message at all. For example, if the totem disappears from range then you'll be waiting forever for that message to arrive, and that kinda messes up the totem display. Not majorly, but enough to make me angsty, so I just based it on the duration, and after that and the damage part there was no reason to track the destroyed message at all.

Summary: "Totem has been destroyed" only shows up when a totem dies of old age; we already know when it dies of old age because we're tracking its duration, and since tracking its duration is more reliable than listening for that message, the listening was taken out as redundant.

I thought I put that in the comments somewhere but it seems I didn't.
10-15-07, 12:00 AM   #20
Argo007
A Cyclonian
Hi,

you forgot to localize the "Rank" in your latest Version 1.1.3c for the german localisation.
It must be "Rang" in german. I've fixed it in my uploaded version.

greetz Argonaut

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » HappyTotem