06-25-07, 04:27 PM   #1
gruv
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SellJunk

Somehow I missed that I was supposed to start a thread here for it. Eh, oh well. Here it is, comments about SellJunk are welcome.
09-21-07, 07:59 PM   #2
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Red face

I love this mod, very helpful and effective. However, I have a slight request.

I would love to have, upon speaking with a vendor and all the grey items being sold, that the amount of gold obtained from the mass selling is printed to chat.
09-21-07, 08:48 PM   #3
gruv
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Spiderkeg
I love this mod, very helpful and effective. However, I have a slight request.

I would love to have, upon speaking with a vendor and all the grey items being sold, that the amount of gold obtained from the mass selling is printed to chat.
That's a good idea. I'll definitely see what I can do to make it happen.
09-22-07, 02:32 AM   #4
stqn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hi,

I love SellJunk too. I'm also using Fubar_AuditorFu (which does NOT require Fubar) which shows money gained or spent when you leave a vendor.

I think SellJunk is almost perfect as is... A GUI to edit the exclusion list and options would be great, though (but no minimap button, please :p).
09-25-07, 10:23 AM   #5
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Red face

Originally Posted by gruv
That's a good idea. I'll definitely see what I can do to make it happen.
I know SellOMatic does something of this nature, though to be honest, I much prefer having an Ace mod working for me. I took a look at the SellOMatic code, to find out what prints to general chat the amount gained, but couldn't make heads or tails.

Please let us know if you get this working. I'll update immediately.

Thanks
09-26-07, 06:26 PM   #6
gruv
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs down

Well, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that I've found a relatively simple way to show how much you've made selling your "junk" at each session.

The bad news is that there is no way to get WoW to tell you that information, so it requires a dependency with a "database" of prices for items.

I'm not sure where to go with this. On one hand, it's a nifty feature to have. On the other hand, this is starting to resemble feature creep. SellJunk is supposed to be a tiny addon, not a do-it-all type thing.

So do I implement it or not? I'd like to get some more feedback from some of the people using it. Would having a dependency on one additional addon (ItemPrice-1.0) cause you to stop using SellJunk? Would having the amount of gold made display in chat make you more likely to use/keep using SellJunk?
09-26-07, 08:25 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Can't you do it be getting the amount of money the player has when opening the vendor window, then again when closing it, and take the difference of the two? Take a look at the ShowMeTheMoney tutorial in the Blizzard Interface Tuturial pack from the WoW site.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-27-07, 12:34 AM   #8
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Red face

Originally Posted by gruv
Well, there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that I've found a relatively simple way to show how much you've made selling your "junk" at each session.

The bad news is that there is no way to get WoW to tell you that information, so it requires a dependency with a "database" of prices for items.

I'm not sure where to go with this. On one hand, it's a nifty feature to have. On the other hand, this is starting to resemble feature creep. SellJunk is supposed to be a tiny addon, not a do-it-all type thing.

So do I implement it or not? I'd like to get some more feedback from some of the people using it. Would having a dependency on one additional addon (ItemPrice-1.0) cause you to stop using SellJunk? Would having the amount of gold made display in chat make you more likely to use/keep using SellJunk?
The mod "Sell O Matic" does exactly what your mod does, and it also prints to general chat the amount obtained by the selling of all items. I don't believe there is a database involved. However, since SellOMatic doesn't involve Ace, I'm sure this mod isn't as small and resource friendly as yours most likely is. I would prefer to use an Ace mod.

I would encourage you to download SellOMatic and stroll through the code. Sadly, I can't quite pinpoint what the author is doing, but it does look like he's tapping into some commands which might already be inherent to the LUA code.
09-27-07, 08:12 AM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
However, since SellOMatic doesn't involve Ace, I'm sure this mod isn't as small and resource friendly as yours most likely is. I would prefer to use an Ace mod.
Whether a mod uses Ace or not means jack. A ****ty coder makes a ****ty mod and a good coder makes a good mod. One or two of Gazmik's mods make use of the Ace2 framework where he has felt that they benefited from it. Sometimes a mod is made 2-3 times as big by using the Ace2 libraries. I haven't looked at this mod's code or am saying anything about SellJunk - I'm merely trying to educate.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-27-07, 09:50 AM   #10
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Red face

Originally Posted by Seerah
Whether a mod uses Ace or not means jack. A ****ty coder makes a ****ty mod and a good coder makes a good mod. One or two of Gazmik's mods make use of the Ace2 framework where he has felt that they benefited from it. Sometimes a mod is made 2-3 times as big by using the Ace2 libraries. I haven't looked at this mod's code or am saying anything about SellJunk - I'm merely trying to educate.
Good to know, thanks.
09-27-07, 05:03 PM   #11
gruv
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah
Can't you do it be getting the amount of money the player has when opening the vendor window, then again when closing it, and take the difference of the two? Take a look at the ShowMeTheMoney tutorial in the Blizzard Interface Tuturial pack from the WoW site.

The difference between how much money you have when you open the vendor window and how much money you have when you close the window is not the same thing as how much you made selling the junk. If that's all you did while at the vendor, then yes, it is. But you could repair your armor while there, or buy some stuff from the vendor, etc. Listing the net change in money from a vendor interaction is a job for another addon.

The mod "Sell O Matic" does exactly what your mod does, and it also prints to general chat the amount obtained by the selling of all items. I don't believe there is a database involved. However, since SellOMatic doesn't involve Ace, I'm sure this mod isn't as small and resource friendly as yours most likely is. I would prefer to use an Ace mod.

I would encourage you to download SellOMatic and stroll through the code. Sadly, I can't quite pinpoint what the author is doing, but it does look like he's tapping into some commands which might already be inherent to the LUA code.
I took a quick peek at the code for SellOMatic. Maybe I'll spend some more time looking at it later, but for now I have more questions than I did when I opened the code and no more answers.
09-27-07, 06:36 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You're right, I didn't think of that. But you could calculate it after your function to sell junk runs. The way that Sell-O-Matic (which, btw, is not a Gazmik addon - I always forget that because of how it's named ) works is that it calls GetMoney() when the MERCHANT_SHOW() event fires and then calculates the money difference after items are sold by the addon's sell function. Not sure how that would interact with an auto repair addon... But you could call GetMoney() before running your function and then again at the end. The results would need to be parsed to display in a way other than total number of copper though. This is why Sell-O-Matic uses AbacusLib, but you don't need the lib for that. If you want to know how to parse the money returned, see wowwiki or what AbacusLib does.

edit: so it would look something like this

OnClick (or whatever)
GetMoney()
sell stuff
GetMoney()
take difference, parse to g s c
print difference to chat

09-28-07, 05:16 PM   #13
gruv
A Murloc Raider
I suppose there is no more potential for error in that method than there is in using a database which may become outdated or otherwise inaccurate. I'll give it a try soon. Maybe not this weekend though because I'm having to work straight through the weekend.

ETA: The "Update" for SellJunk listed on this site is only to mark that it still works with 2.2. I haven't really updated anything yet.

Last edited by gruv : 09-28-07 at 05:21 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » SellJunk