09-13-08, 06:33 AM   #1
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Event when a profession is abandonned

It would be great to send a CHAT_MSG_SKILL event when a profession is abandonned, currently only SKILL_LINES_CHANGED is sent, but since event is triggered a bit too often, it does not allow proper monitoring of professions.

Thus at this point, it's easier to detect when a new profession is gained than to detect when it's abandonned. If a chat message was sent with a parameter like this:

ERR_SKILL_ABANDONNED_S = "You have abandonned the %s skill."; -- %s is the skill name

I think it would be much easier

Thao

PS: If you guys know valid workarounds, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: I hooked AbandonSkill to do the trick, but I still think an event would be better

Last edited by Thaoky : 09-13-08 at 06:57 AM.
09-13-08, 06:50 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

You could hook
Code:
AbandonSkill(index)
09-13-08, 11:06 AM   #3
Thaoky
An Aku'mai Servant
Yeah, that's what I did in the end, and it was rather easy after all. But I guess an event would be more natural

I had started with SKILL_LINES_CHANGED, but it was triggered so often that the solution I was about to come up with would have been dirty, so I rolled back and started to look for another solution. Here's what I did, if by any chance anyone is interested.

Code:
local Orig_AbandonSkill = AbandonSkill

function AbandonSkill(index, ...)
  local skillName = GetSkillLineInfo(index)
  Orig_AbandonSkill(index, ...)

-- do whatever here with skillName
end
09-11-18, 06:28 AM   #4
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Another way to see if a player will be removing a skill , as a pre-check and post check you can use the following. Since this is the popup they get before a skill is removed.

Code:
hooksecurefunc("StaticPopup_Show", function(event, skillName, skillLine)
  if (event == "UNLEARN_SKILL") then
    --do something here, but remember they haven't accepted yet, grab skillName and skillLine
  end
end)
But if you want to grab the OnAccept of the dialog above you can do the following.

Code:
hooksecurefunc(StaticPopupDialogs["UNLEARN_SKILL"], "OnAccept", function(self, data)
	--do something here
end)

To be honest AbandonSkill is the best way to do it. But just wanted to post another possible way of checking for player intentions.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Event when a profession is abandonned