08-18-24, 08:54 PM   #1
cx199541005
A Defias Bandit
Question How do multiple instances of LibSharedMedia or sharedmedia in different subdirectorie

As the title suggests, I've always been curious about this issue.

Many addons now bundle libraries like lib or Ace within their own directories, while I also have these libraries installed in the root “Interface\AddOns\” directory. When the code differs between these instances, how does the game handle it?

For example, let's say :
I add a line of code to the standalone installation of LibSharedMedia-3.0 located at “...\Interface\AddOns\LibSharedMedia-3.0\LibSharedMedia-3.0\LibSharedMedia-3.0.lua” to register a custom font.
Now, other addons I have installed like ElvUI, BigWigs, MSBT, and Plater also include their own copies of LibSharedMedia-3.0.lua. Do I need to modify each of these as well?

When the lib addon registers my custom font with the client, does each addon prioritize reading its own LibSharedMedia-3.0.lua file first, or does it prioritize the one in the root directory?
08-18-24, 09:21 PM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You end up with one global instance of LSM (major version) that shares a single db of all media registered with it by all addons. That is essentially what LibStub does being the central contoller of libraries that register with it and addons that "get" libraries from it.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 08-18-24 at 09:33 PM.
08-18-24, 10:09 PM   #3
cx199541005
A Defias Bandit
This reply was sent to the wrong recipient and has been deleted.

Last edited by cx199541005 : 08-18-24 at 10:12 PM.
08-18-24, 10:10 PM   #4
cx199541005
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
You end up with one global instance of LSM (major version) that shares a single db of all media registered with it by all addons. That is essentially what LibStub does being the central contoller of libraries that register with it and addons that "get" libraries from it.
Thank you for your reply!
It seems like these kinds of addons follow a "union of sets" approach, meaning that no matter how many different Lua files exist at various levels, every single entry ultimately gets aggregated and registered. Is that correct?
08-18-24, 10:24 PM   #5
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just open a copy of LibStub.lua and you can see exactly how the libraries are being managed. It's 30 lines of code including comments and blanks.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How do multiple instances of LibSharedMedia or sharedmedia in different subdirectorie