07-15-07, 01:47 PM   #1
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Auctioneer Display Size on Mazzle UI: Almost there

I'm a new MazzleUI user. I like it now, but I can fall in love with it.. it depends if I can get one thing worked out first.

If not, it may or may not be a deal breaker.

I use Auctioneer. It creates a little sub-text box underneath the item tootip box when I hover over something with my cursor.. and that box contains statistical data on what the item is worth on the AH market (based upon my scans of the auction house).

MazzleUI sizes that really really small, and I can't read it.

Now I have consulted the FAQ. I've gotten my chat windows set to a readable size. I know how to adjust my damage and combat windows. I know how to adjust my fubar settings. I've increased my resolution and come to terms with reading smaller..

In short, I've really tried... so I turn to the forums for help.

When reading FAQ, I can see that Chat is Assigned "X" pt, Combat and Damage will be assigned a small "X" pt, and 'Other' Windows are are assigned an even smaller "X" pt. Right now I have it set at Mr. Magoo level and can read everything great, but the Auctioneer data window is still really small.

Any suggestions?
07-15-07, 02:14 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Try scaling your tooltips. (TinyTip is the mod, I think you can pull up options with /ttip)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-15-07, 02:52 PM   #3
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah
Try scaling your tooltips. (TinyTip is the mod, I think you can pull up options with /ttip)
Good thought, and I got excited for a moment.

But I tried adjusting TinyTips, and it had no effect. To the degree that I made my tooltip as three quarters the size of my screen and still my auctioneer window underneath the object was unchanged.

Then to further test it out, I disabled TinyTips, and it too had no effect.

In hopes of getting this to make more sense, here is a link showing screenshots of what the tooltip is supposed to look like.

http://auctioneeraddon.com/?p=screen

However, my display shows the Auctioneer Tooltip to be considerably smaller.
07-15-07, 02:57 PM   #4
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I dunno.. I studied that screen shot fairly carefully, and it does look a little smaller than the text box above it.

But again, I used TinyTips to make the box that is the "Phantom Blade" in the example screenshot enormous, but it had no effect on the Auctioneer box below it.

Stll holding out hope that someone can tell me how to increase the size of that just a little.
07-15-07, 03:01 PM   #5
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
From the looks of that screenshot, it seems to create its own tooltip. If so, I'd search Auctioneer's options for a scale or font size option. I don't think anything in the UI is interacting with it outside of the global UI scale.
07-15-07, 03:42 PM   #6
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
From the looks of that screenshot, it seems to create its own tooltip. If so, I'd search Auctioneer's options for a scale or font size option. I don't think anything in the UI is interacting with it outside of the global UI scale.
Thank you for the reply Mazzlefizz!

Yes, I think the problem is on their end (now). Having been in communication with them, they have no feature for resizing the font/tooltip size. That leads me to believe that it is all based on this global UI scale you mentioned.

Auctioneer uses a sister program called EnhTooltip, and therein must be the issue.

I have asked them to consider implementing the resizing feature, or tell me if there is a bit of code that can be changed to adjust it.

Part of the problem is that this EnhTooltip uses multiple colors and some of them dark purples and blues. Combine that with a dark background and a tiny font aznd it makes for eyestrain..
07-16-07, 09:04 AM   #7
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Okay, this is a final follow-up. This is not a Mazzle problem, and there isn't a perfect fix. However the people who develop Auctioneer did have some do-it-yourself style solution options.

And somebody might read this thread, have the same questions I did, and wonder whatever became it...

Auctioneer uses it's own tooltip called EnchToolTip, which bases it's size on the Global UI size as MazzleFizz suggested above. You can't control it with TinyTip (that I know of).

Auctioneer does have an embed command which merges their toop tip into a 'normal' one, but you lose some the options and features..

Or these were some other suggestions, copied from their forums.

Copied from their Forum:

Auctioneer does not contain any scaling code whatsoever. We neither scale up nor down.

Since it seems like your other addon wishes to resize auctioneer to a size that is too small for you, you may wish to investigate instead the embedded tooltip mode so that your tooltip is embedded in the real tooltip.

The other two options that are available to you are:

Create a macro to rescale the auctioneer tooltip manually. Something like:
/run EnhancedTooltip:SetScale(1.20)
and play with that 1.2 number until it looks like the resizing done by the other addon has been reversed.

Alternatively, you could open up EnhTooltip/Tooltip.lua in a text editor and change every occurance of SetFont(STANDARD_TEXT_FONT, ...) so that ... becomes ...+3

eg:
return line:SetFont(STANDARD_TEXT_FONT, fontSize)
would become:
return line:SetFont(STANDARD_TEXT_FONT, fontSize+3)

you would have to do this in about 5 places throughout that file.
07-16-07, 01:16 PM   #8
MentalPower
Auctioneer Lead Developer

Premium Member
Featured
Well if Mazzle's UI is changing the global UI scale, then EnhTooltip is, to quote Blizzard, "working as intended".

The global UI scale is meant to be used as a yardstick to scale all the UI components, which means that if you lower it should make everything smaller and vice-versa.

In essence, don't change the UI scale if you don't want every GUI under the sun to change its size.

"If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt"
-Anonymous
07-16-07, 01:49 PM   #9
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by MentalPower
Well if Mazzle's UI is changing the global UI scale, then EnhTooltip is, to quote Blizzard, "working as intended".

The global UI scale is meant to be used as a yardstick to scale all the UI components, which means that if you lower it should make everything smaller and vice-versa.

In essence, don't change the UI scale if you don't want every GUI under the sun to change its size.
I don't really know how to respond to this other than to say that this thread was not a complaint about Auctioneer or EnhTooltip.

Mazzle reduces the global UI scale to fit a lot of information the screen in an attractive presentation.

Auctioneer and it's related programs are not part of the Mazzle package, but I wanted to add them to the suite of addon's that I use.

Part of this has been a learning process for me. I'm not a programmer. I came here first because I thought the MazzleUI group could help me. Turns out they could not. Then I went to the Auctioneer community. I was told by Norganna that resizing wasn't a feature, but she offered me some help to do it manually. I thanked her. Then I came back here and posted what I learned to the Mazzle community in order to bring closure to the situation, and leave a possible answer for anyone else who might have the same question/problem.

I can't recall saying anything derrogatory about Auctioneer or it's community.

I never complained that re-sizing wasn't an option. I took the suggested fix as given and I said thank you, and then I shared that information.

Your post sounds like a defensive remark, like "well that's what you get for tampering with the global UI scale."

(shrug)

I like Auctioneer and I wanted to tweak it to work well with Mazzle.
07-16-07, 08:55 PM   #10
MentalPower
Auctioneer Lead Developer

Premium Member
Featured
My apologies, I should not have posted when I was angry (personal matters, not by account of this issue at all). I also mistakenly interpreted your earlier response as bashing Auctioneer for not having a resize option for its ToolTip. In essence, I'm sorry.

"If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt"
-Anonymous
07-17-07, 08:13 AM   #11
Admiral
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by MentalPower
My apologies, I should not have posted when I was angry (personal matters, not by account of this issue at all). I also mistakenly interpreted your earlier response as bashing Auctioneer for not having a resize option for its ToolTip. In essence, I'm sorry.
You know.. it's cool.

I was thinking about this while making dinner last night, and it struck me that my words could easily have been taken the wrong way.

For example: I said "it's not a MazzleUI problem."

And in one sense, it isn't. However in using the label "problem" it can interpreted that "it then must Auctioneer's problem." But the reality is that it is "no one's problem". No one is to blame. These aren't bugs or errors. They do indeed work as intended, the trick is getting them to work as I intend.

So.. I accept your apology, and let me extend the grace of saying "I understand how I might have come across. It was just a misunderstanding."

And Norganna's fix? It worked like a charm. At least the suggested maco. It immediately resized the EnchToolTip- and I have a happy ending. I got the MazzleUI that I'm coming to love, and I can adjust Auctioneer to be easier to read. Exactly what I wanted- two great tools working together.

If I'm being syrupy, it's because Addon developers need encouragement, not criticism.. and both you and Mazzlefiz work hard for not much hope of reward.

I hope today goes better.
07-17-07, 08:27 AM   #12
Mortlach
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Compliments to MentalPower

Very kind of you to post an apology, Ment. If we had more netizens in the WoW community like you, there'd be a lot less stress for us power gamers!

Bravo!

Morticai, Prince & GuildMaster of Briar Rose, Horde

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Auctioneer Display Size on Mazzle UI: Almost there