04-18-07, 05:01 PM   #1
capazi
A Murloc Raider

New

What mods do you reccamend for a new person thats new to mods ?
04-18-07, 06:59 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
my ui( click the "author" thing under my name)

and fubar

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-18-07, 07:22 PM   #3
Xanithon
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
FuBar - Very useful *not a memory hog* bar on top and bottom of which give information about your game.
Adapt - Just an Eye-Candy mod, makes your Unitframe portraits animated.
OmniCooldownCounter - Puts timers (numbers) for cooldowns on your action buttons.

04-18-07, 08:08 PM   #4
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

FuBar (Data Holder for other FuBar mods)
Bartender3 (Bar Mod)
simpleMiniMap (Minimap, simply. )
Prat (extensive Chat mod)
eePanels (panels creator for partinioning your screen/mods)

Those are five I will not play w/o. Stick with Ace based if you can (files.wowace.com).

A 6th that I prefer to not play with if possible is MetaMap, but it is not Ace based. Most people who are pure Ace will recomend Cartographer and its mods in placement of MetaMap, but it is purely a personal preferance for settings/abilities between the two.

Last edited by ReverendD : 04-18-07 at 08:10 PM.
04-18-07, 09:54 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by ReverendD
Stick with Ace based if you can (files.wowace.com).
I strongly advise against this statement. Figure out what works for you. Ace does not make an addon any good. In fact, if you took an addon, added the Ace library to it (and didn't do anything else), it would perform equal to or worse than it did without the library. Guaranteed.

A library does not make an addon good, an author does. And as much as it pains me to say this, the majority of unexperienced authors use the Ace library. This does not mean the Ace library is bad, it just means it's easier for newer authors to use.

An addon is only as good as its author. There are, indeed, some great Ace addons; FuBar does significantly better than Titan; but this is not true for many addons.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 04-18-07 at 09:57 PM.
04-18-07, 10:06 PM   #6
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Originally Posted by Shirik
Ace does not make an addon any good. In fact, if you took an addon, added the Ace library to it (and didn't do anything else), it would perform equal to or worse than it did without the library. Guaranteed.

A library does not make an addon good, an author does.
i really don't want to start, nor am i going to get into, a flame war over this statement, but frankly, while i certainly don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to programming languages and coding, you appear to be nearly completely clueless about what you are saying.

An addon is only as good as its author.
This, however, is undoubtedly quite true.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
04-18-07, 10:11 PM   #7
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Rigorous
i really don't want to start, nor am i going to get into, a flame war over this statement, but frankly, while i certainly don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to programming languages and coding, you appear to be nearly completely clueless about what you are saying
I, too, do not want to, nor will I, get into a "flame war," nor will I try to convince you that what I am saying is correct. But, suffice to say, if you were to take my addon and add the Ace framework to it, you would only succeed in increasing the load time and nothing more. You cannot make use of the Ace capabilities without actually changing the addon itself. Simply adding the library does nothing... I repeat, nothing... more than increase load time.

Furthermore, suffice it to say, using a library requires more lookups than directly using the Blizzard APIs. Granted, using the Ace framework may be the most efficient method to get something done, but it will still be no better than if you used the exact same method raw.

Again, an addon is no better than its author. Ace can only allow less experienced authors use code already written by those more experienced. That can help to a point, but it is not a resolution to all problems.

EDIT: Please, furthermore, if you wish to say that I haven't a clue what I'm saying, in the future, say why you think this way, so that I can clarify anything you may have misunderstood. I, however, stick by precisely what I said. I fail to see how you, on the other hand, can argue that Ace makes everything "better," while agreeing with me when I say "an addon is only as good as its author."

I will consistently refuse to port my addon to Ace, even though it has been requested countless times. It's not because I dislike the framework; far from it; I just feel that (1) it is far too much work for the size of the addon, and that (2) I have absolutely nothing to gain from it, at the point I am at now.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 04-18-07 at 10:15 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » New