10-22-08, 10:53 AM   #1
nemof
A Fallenroot Satyr
what is ldb, how doe it effect fubar?

I am extremely confused by LDB. I came across it recently due to the patch, and have no firm explanation as to its function.

How does it effect my use of of fubar addons? I realize that ldb is not fubar, but as I understand it ldb based addons can be shown in fubar. How are they shown without fubar?
10-22-08, 11:21 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by nemof View Post
I am extremely confused by LDB. I came across it recently due to the patch, and have no firm explanation as to its function.

How does it effect my use of of fubar addons? I realize that ldb is not fubar, but as I understand it ldb based addons can be shown in fubar. How are they shown without fubar?
LDB stands for LibDataBroker. From Tekkub's LDB page:

LibDataBroker (or sometimes Data Broker or simply Broker) is a small WoW addon library designed to provide a MVC interface for use in various addons. LDB’s primary goal is to “detach” plugins for TitanPanel and FuBar from the display addon. Plugins can provide data into a simple table, and display addons can receive callbacks to refresh their display of this data. LDB also provides a place for addons to register “quicklaunch” functions, removing the need for authors to embed many large libraries to create minimap buttons. Users who do not wish to be “plagued” by these buttons simply do not install an addon to render them.
Now how does it affect you and your FuBar plug-ins? This depends on the author of the plug-in and the decisions they make. Most of your FuBar plug-ins will continue has they have with no changes. However some authors may either choose to move their project exclusively to LDB or they may support both LDB and FuBar.

Why are authors moving to LDB? Simple, to do the same job (either provide an info feed or to serve as a "launcher"), going to LDB cuts down on the size of the AddOns and in some cases the complexity. An LDB based mod typically is going to use less memory than a mod that uses FuBar (or LibFuBarPlugin plus in many cases Tablet and Dewdrop). In addition, by going LDB, authors give the user a choice in what display they wish to use. While with FuBar, you are typically limited to FuBar only (or if you don't have FuBar, your MiniMap getting a bad case of Button Acne).

If you wish to continue using FuBar and your plug-in does not support FuBar anymore, you can use this plug-in, Broker2FuBar which will enable FuBar to display LDB "feeds" or "launchers"(a Feed displays information such Gold or Memory usage, a Launcher is used to access the mod in question, LDB mods can both a Feed and a Launcher). Conversely if you wish to phase out FuBar, but there are some FuBar Plug-ins you still want to use (and don't have LDB support) you can FuBar2Broker to display those plug-ins on the LDB Display of your choice.

Some LDB Displays:

Titan Panel
ButtonBin
Barrel
StatBlockCore
Fortress
Carousel
MakeRocketGoNow

Links:

Broker2FuBar
FuBar2Broker
WoWI's Broker section
Seerah's Mod Pick of the Week highlighting Data Broker and its mods

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-22-08 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Fixed an error pointed out by Seerah.
10-22-08, 11:30 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
LibDataBroker is used by both LDB plugins and LDB displays. It is so that if you like a plugin, you are not limited to which display you can use it on. If you wish to view LDB plugins on FuBar, a separate mod is currently needed called Broker2FuBar (located on Curse). If you wish to view FuBar plugins on an LDB display, you will need FuBar2Broker (also on Curse).

To read more about LibDataBroker, see these two links:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18338
http://github.com/tekkub/libdatabroker-1-1/wikis/home

edit: Lykofos beat me as I got my lunch and talked on the phone
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-22-08, 11:32 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Some LDB Displays:

MakeRocketGoNow
Oops - fixed
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-22-08, 11:53 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Oops - fixed
Curses, goofed again.

I was pulling that list from my brain at the time. However some data got "corrupted" as my kid was screaming in the next room (it's bed time and as usual she would rather be watching Playhouse Disney instead of sleeping).
10-22-08, 12:10 PM   #6
nemof
A Fallenroot Satyr
seperating data & user interfaces so you can more easily manipulate the data, and choose how you want it displayed. Sounds like fun.

Thanks for your run down everyone, things are much clearer now.
10-22-08, 02:48 PM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by nemof View Post
seperating data & user interfaces so you can more easily manipulate the data, and choose how you want it displayed. Sounds like fun.

Thanks for your run down everyone, things are much clearer now.
Yup, that is the idea. It works quite nicely too.
10-22-08, 03:05 PM   #8
Azza2
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Been wondering what this was lately too, but chose to ignore it as it had a lot of programming mumbojumbo, it looks a lot clearer now though.

Is it now up to the author of Fubar to include LDB support natively? Or will I have to move to something else? I do remember having to move away from TitanPanel to Fubar 2 years ago as TP was somewhat of a fps hog, and I'm very satisfied with Fubar to even move away from it. I've only just installed Broker2Fubar today and it seems to work well, but it pretty much trashed WIM when I tried to show it in Fubar, it decided to suppress whispers from my chat frame again as well as showing an error when I clicked on it in Fubar.
10-22-08, 03:43 PM   #9
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Azza2 View Post
Been wondering what this was lately too, but chose to ignore it as it had a lot of programming mumbojumbo, it looks a lot clearer now though.

Is it now up to the author of Fubar to include LDB support natively? Or will I have to move to something else? I do remember having to move away from TitanPanel to Fubar 2 years ago as TP was somewhat of a fps hog, and I'm very satisfied with Fubar to even move away from it. I've only just installed Broker2Fubar today and it seems to work well, but it pretty much trashed WIM when I tried to show it in Fubar, it decided to suppress whispers from my chat frame again as well as showing an error when I clicked on it in Fubar.
Broker2FuBar is a bit of a hack so not all FuBar supported mods will play nicely with it. Regarding native FuBar support of LDB, yes that would be up to the author CKKnight.
10-22-08, 04:57 PM   #10
wulfy27
Addon Junkie

Heh, I was just going to post about LDB's. My question is more so on the Launch end. I know there are multiple launchers available now --- How do you know the difference in how they handle the information? Basically, how do you know what launcher to use? Do they display differently or Do they have different options?

If my memory serves me without going back and looking (a very dangerous thing for me to attempt, usually) -- Fortress displays in blocks and Carousel has just one line that has arrows for navigating but are there any other major differences? Can you set some other ones up to show certain info at all times?

It's funny, something that should be simplifying my UI setup is making me feel like it's my first day in school. I'm probably making this much harder than it actually is. I want to move to Broker mods only and get rid of fubar as well as I possibly can.

Ugh... does this make any sense? I'm just confused as hell as how and what launcher to use.
10-22-08, 05:04 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
They do look/perform differently. Some are only for launchers (click the button to open a window type dealies) - MakeRocketGoNow for example.

Look at the screenshots, read their descriptions, install them and try them out. I currently run two launchers. I have Carousel and ButtonBin, and have them configured to show different plugins.

10-22-08, 05:08 PM   #12
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I have both Carousel and Fortress running at the moment. Fortress is creating a sort of Fubar / Titan Panel thing across the top of my screen with the stuff I like to see at a glance. Carousel I use to hold the other stuff (items I don't normally need to see, like BugSack and similar things).

Besides the difference you noted about the display, the only other big difference I found is that fortress blocks will automatically alter their width depending on the data being displayed. Carousel seems to be fixed width and does not alter (which can result in data being unviewable if there is a fair amount of it).
10-22-08, 05:14 PM   #13
wulfy27
Addon Junkie

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I have Carousel and ButtonBin, and have them configured to show different plugins.
Was wondering this as well.

So in other words... try, play, delete, try again. I suppose I thought I'd understand it without the trial and error part.

Thank you for such a quick reply!! Very appreciated!
10-22-08, 05:18 PM   #14
wulfy27
Addon Junkie

Originally Posted by Sekrin View Post
I have both Carousel and Fortress running at the moment. Fortress is creating a sort of Fubar / Titan Panel thing across the top of my screen with the stuff I like to see at a glance. Carousel I use to hold the other stuff (items I don't normally need to see, like BugSack and similar things).
And the light bulb finally lights up!! Now I get it.

Thank you so much!
10-22-08, 05:20 PM   #15
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep! You're not limited to just one display - you can use whatever you want, however it suits you!

10-30-08, 10:48 AM   #16
Movarrin
Premium Member
Premium Member
This have been informative, but I'm still a little unclear.

Are you saying that if I have an addon like Livestock which doesn't use Fubar, I can make a launcher to do it?

I would have to install LDB and Broker2Fubar and then "waves magic wand" I'd get a launcher button for the Livestock Config menu on my FuBar?

Don't suppose any has the time to explain this step by step for us slow kids in the back of the class?

I would really appreciate it.
10-30-08, 11:59 AM   #17
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Movarrin View Post
This have been informative, but I'm still a little unclear.

Are you saying that if I have an addon like Livestock which doesn't use Fubar, I can make a launcher to do it?

I would have to install LDB and Broker2Fubar and then "waves magic wand" I'd get a launcher button for the Livestock Config menu on my FuBar?

Don't suppose any has the time to explain this step by step for us slow kids in the back of the class?

I would really appreciate it.
You (as a user) only need to install either B2F if you want your LDB plugin to appear on FuBar or use another LDB display (Fortress, Carousel, SBC, Titan, Wraith etc). As Lykofos posted, it's the authors responsibility to embed LibDataBroker in his own little addon and create the "launcher" which you can use/access. Alternatively you can write your own addon to do it, but I'm guessing that's not what you asked/wanted.
10-30-08, 01:51 PM   #18
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

"What is LDB?" has been answered so I'll post some of my thoughts from the last week of testing it out:

I honestly think that LDB is the way of the future for info-type mods. The modular approach is wonderful, giving all the choices of what, where, and how to display to the end-user.

Only downside is that if you are used to using FuBar and FuBar plugins for the simplicity, LDB will require a tiny bit more setup (move stuff where you want, change display options) but once it's done it's great.

So far I believe I will move my GUI over to LDB (currently using Fortress as it's similar but unique from FuBar) I'm still looking for a few compatible plugins like for Honor, Volume, UIScale)

I'd love to see CKknight code in native LDB support to FuBar, but I have not seen much activity form him lately and am unsure of the future of FuBar (thus why I'm testing another display, LDB plugins are gravy)

Sorry for my ramble, not enough coffee today, lol.

11-02-08, 11:50 PM   #19
Republic
Paladin

Do I understand it correctly that in order for certain addons to display in Titan (or Fubar), yet another mod (the broker thing) is required for them to do so? How does a regular person know which mods require the use of broker?

In my situation, I'd like for Recount to show up in Titan somehow so I don't have to dedicate an action button to my macro. Would this broker situation accomplish this, or should I continue using a macro?

Can this be further clarified to those of us who don't breathe code?

Thanks so much
11-03-08, 12:48 AM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Recount doesn't have a FuBar or LDB plugin natively. You'll need to install http://www.wowinterface.com/download...erRecount.html if you wish to see Recount on your Titan Panel.

Titan Panel handles LDB plugins on its own - you don't need anything extra. FuBar doesn't support LDB plugins yet, so you'll need Broker2FuBar if you want to display LDB stuff on FuBar. If you wanted to display FuBar stuff on your Titan Panel, you'll need the bridge addon FuBar2Broker.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » what is ldb, how doe it effect fubar?