02-06-09, 07:41 PM   #1
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Custom Avatar: always too big?

Anyone have any tips on how to make an image smaller (kb)?

Trying to use

This is already saved at quality 0 and it's still 25 kb. I'm at a loss what I can do to get the file smaller. I've tried different formats and making the image any smaller makes it look like crap, moreso than it already does at this point.
02-06-09, 09:05 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
What are you using to compress the image? I put it into photoshop and saved for web and choose 75 for the quality and it was 2.4k. I bet it would have only been 4k with quality set to 100%
Attached Images

02-06-09, 09:05 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I saved your jpeg to my desktop, opened it in MS Paint, changed it to 95% of its size (105x105), and it is now 8.75kb.
Attached Images

"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-07-09, 08:32 PM   #4
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
What are you using to compress the image? I put it into photoshop and saved for web and choose 75 for the quality and it was 2.4k. I bet it would have only been 4k with quality set to 100%
Didn't "save for web". That's what I was missing. I officially feel retarded, thanks.
02-07-09, 10:25 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I don't think MS Paint "saves for web" or anything sophisticated... Perhaps your image editing software was embedding other information into the file.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-08-09, 03:01 PM   #6
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I don't think MS Paint "saves for web" or anything sophisticated... Perhaps your image editing software was embedding other information into the file.
Photoshop.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Custom Avatar: always too big?