04-13-09, 02:06 AM   #1
Amethyst
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Simple Threat Meter (re-release)

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...reatMeter.html

Kinda late to the WotLK party, but it's been tricky finding the time to get this done (well, tricky to find the time to code AND raid. )

I've stuck with the Ace3 basis, as I there's quite a lot of configuration options and I didn't want to spend forever on that and profile switching. One of the key things I wanted to do though was not needlessly use every Ace library that could possible apply.

So, the bar itself is coded from standard createframe stuff.

One of the biggest challenges I faced was an odd one - vertical statusbar textures.

I love healbot texture on my bars, so wanted it on this, but it looked damned ugly and statusbar frames don't seem to support rotation of the texture ingame, so .... I loaded up GIMP and manually rotated a bunch of textures in Sharedmedia and included them with this distribution.

I actually register them with libSharedMedia under statusbar_v and going to see if the author of SharedMedia will consider adding this into the library as a full change for all statusbar textures.

Uh yeah, anyways, the mod.

The main question most people ask is, "Why the f*** do we want another threat meter? We got Omen!"

Well, Omen is awesome, I'll give it that. I continue to use it myself, for watching raid status.

However, something I see confusing so many people is an understanding of threat mechanics. The whole 110% for melee, 130% for ranged etc.

So, SimpleThreatMeter uses the built in Blizzard percentage threat to pull aggro and I've found it works remarkably effectively, giving me in effect a nice chunky bar on screen where 100% is the point where I pull aggro.

Also, because it's just a single bar, rather than a more complex readout with multiple bars, I find it pretty easy to keep an eye on it without needing to take my eye off the action.

So, let me know your thoughts and suggestions for improvement please!
04-14-09, 12:31 AM   #2
Az4reus
A Defias Bandit

hey there,

it looks interesting, but is it possible to see some threat values?

for example, when you are in an instance, the tanks pulls the first group, your Threat-meter is at 0%, but you don't know, how many threat the tank already generated, so you have to guess, how many % of threat you are going to make. In long bossfights, a %-display may be enough, but i think, you need for the trash some values, maybe displayed above (how much threat you need to pull aggro) and at the bottom (you many threat you already have generated).
A very short number, as 17k would be enough.

greez..
04-14-09, 12:04 PM   #3
Amethyst
A Fallenroot Satyr

Yup, had similar requests from other places, to be able to adjust the display to show:

a) The actual threat deficit (ie. -17k).
b) The actual threat required to be able to pull aggro (ie. 19k).
c) The option to display percent AND/OR actual.

I'm working on it and it should be in the next release.
05-23-09, 09:20 PM   #4
Amethyst
A Fallenroot Satyr

Damn it took me ages to get around to making those changes!

Anyways, STM now has an option to show the threat deficit.

So, for example:
Tank is on 10k threat and you're at range, you need 13k threat to pull aggro. STM will show you how far off that 13k you are. If you're on 11k threat, it'll display "-2k"

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Simple Threat Meter (re-release)