12-24-05, 04:28 PM   #1
mrbrdo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
In-game Thottbot Browser

Hello guys..

I would like someone to try out my mod that makes you able to surf Thottbot in-game..

How it works:
- you enter /tbsearch something and a window should pop up, only clicking works, you can't type in anything (you don't need to anyway) - so you can still move around in the game..
- if you hold the CTRL button, you can click trough the window (so you click on the thing that is under the window)
- if you right click on the grey title bar the window minimizes into the titlebar (this is useful because the game runs a bit more laggy when the window is open, but when it is minimized into the titlebar it's not any slower)
- you can drag the window around by clicking the titlebar, dragging around and releasing (with the left mouse button)

How to install *IMPORTANT*:
You have to extract all the files into the World of Warcraft directory. When you want to play the game with the browser enabled you MUST run WoWeb.exe INSTEAD of WoW.exe! It does not work if you use WoW.exe (you will also see you cannot turn this "addon" on\off in the game). When the game starts up, you should see a notification in the upper-left corner of the game window, that WoWeb has loaded. Sometimes it fails to load (but this is very rare.. 95% of the times it does), but i am still working to resolve this. Just make sure you use WoWeb.exe

There still may be some minor bugs so please tell me if you find any.. I hope it works for you.

MrB.

Last edited by Cairenn : 12-24-05 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Deleted link to off-site download - Cairenn
12-24-05, 04:39 PM   #2
Guillotine
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Please not that this program has NOT been scanned for viruses nor been approved by any of the WoWI admins. Use it at your own risk. I personally scanned it and found nothing, but that doesn't mean that it is safe. Please scan it with your own virus scanners and post anything found here.

This is also used in place of WoW.exe so it may well steal passwords. For now, I would suggest not using it.
12-24-05, 04:44 PM   #3
mrbrdo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yes i agree it is a risk because it is an exe file, so i would like to ask the administrators to approve my files. I would assure you they are OK, but it wouldn't make any difference, would it
About password stealing, i guess check if the program connects to any other sites than thottbot.com (which it does not). But anyway, hope you like it after it's checked.

MrB.

Last edited by mrbrdo : 12-24-05 at 04:50 PM.
12-24-05, 05:37 PM   #4
Guillotine
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Why don't you just post the source? Let us compile the program ourselves
12-24-05, 06:13 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
mrbrdo, we don't allow links to off-site mods on this site. If you would like to submit your mod, complete with source code for us to check, you are welcome to host it with us.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-24-05, 07:43 PM   #6
mrbrdo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I will publish the source code only if and when I, me and myself decide to. I also do not need any hosting (i don't know where you got that idea) and last time i checked you're not the one doing me a favor, but it's rather like wise. I don't see how you can determine anything from the source code if you can't do basic things like scanning network activity, which is perfectly enough for your needs. There's nothing i hate more when someone is demanding source from me. When you understand that seeing someone's code is not a right, but a privilege, then call yourself an admin of a good site. Not to mention the fact that the code could easily be used for abuse and misuse.

Goodbye
12-24-05, 08:35 PM   #7
Gello
A Molten Giant
I don't think it's out of line for admins to request source code especially for a program like that.

It's an executable that hacks the game client to access the internet. There's three strikes right there.
12-24-05, 08:58 PM   #8
Guillotine
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Gello
I don't think it's out of line for admins to request source code especially for a program like that.

It's an executable that hacks the game client to access the internet. There's three strikes right there.
/agree

She isn't saying it to be rude. And its not like she will release it to anyone who wants it. The admins just need to be able to look through the code and make sure it doesn't do anything wrong.
12-24-05, 09:11 PM   #9
Logdan
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by mrbrdo
I will publish the source code only if and when I, me and myself decide to. I also do not need any hosting (i don't know where you got that idea) and last time i checked you're not the one doing me a favor, but it's rather like wise. I don't see how you can determine anything from the source code if you can't do basic things like scanning network activity, which is perfectly enough for your needs. There's nothing i hate more when someone is demanding source from me. When you understand that seeing someone's code is not a right, but a privilege, then call yourself an admin of a good site. Not to mention the fact that the code could easily be used for abuse and misuse.

Goodbye
WoW. Your first post was great and polite, and then you comeback with this?

First, a private forum such as this one, has every right to request anything that may be linked from it to ensure they are not violating any rules. Rules such as the TOS/EULA for WoW.

Also, since you are able to write source code, you know very well that any application can contain functions that do not always run. Merely checking the "network activiy" as you put it is little to no indication that your application isn't doing anything it is not supposed to be doing.

There's nothing i hate more when someone is demanding source from me. When you understand that seeing someone's code is not a right, but a privilege, then call yourself an admin of a good site.
There was no demand, only a request to check what it did. As I said before, the admins of this site have every right to allow/disallow what they want. The admin here is good and correct for not allowing a link to a 3rd party download that has the potental to cause problems.

Lastly, your application there is a violation of the WoW's TOS/EULA since it replaces a file used during WoW's running and allows a function Blizzard deliberatly removed from the game in Beta (the ability to search Thott from within WoW).
12-24-05, 10:55 PM   #10
Gregoryn
A Kobold Labourer
Although I don't usually post here, I just read to find out opinions about MODs before I try them. Unfortunately, seeing someone so blatantly act like a complete jackass when a justified and minor question is asked such as giving the source to the admin of this website, I would tend to not want to try your AddOn even less. If it was a legitimate modification that did nothing heinous or underhanded to someone's computer, then there should be no trouble giving over the source for verification by the Admins. However, your rude and uncalled for post in response to the inquiry about your souce code would lead me, and I'm sure others, to now believe that your program is a bogus password stealing hack.

Not only does it violate the TOS and EULA of World of Warcraft, but now I would venture to believe that it would be used to steal accounts and destroy them just for the sake of giving your bored, immature mind something to do other than act like an ******* on public forums. If Blizzard wished us to be able to browse the web or search the web from within World of Warcraft, it would have been built in and shipped with the original game or within some recent patch.

The only thing you've done is make yourself look like a complete jackass, make your program look even more shady than it already did and insult the Admins of a great site that would have been happy to host it. Unfortunately those who read this thread will now know that your Thottbot search Addon, posted by whomever, wherever is just another attempt to hack accounts and break through Blizzard's planned protection of their game and their customers.

Personally, I'll be glad to not see you at this website any longer.

GOODbye,
- Gregoryn of Kel'Thuzad
12-24-05, 11:04 PM   #11
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
There's nothing i hate more when someone is demanding source from me. When you understand that seeing someone's code is not a right, but a privilege, then call yourself an admin of a good site. Not to mention the fact that the code could easily be used for abuse and misuse.

With all due respect. Here are a couple of things to consider. Using this forum is a privilege not a right. So as such, we have the right to moderate what gets posted. We don't allow links to download things on other sites.

Yes i agree it is a risk because it is an exe file, so i would like to ask the administrators to approve my files. I would assure you they are OK, but it wouldn't make any difference, would it
This leads one to believe that you attempted to upload the files. As per our normal policy, the only way we feel comfortable hosting exe files is to review the source before hand. Again, that policy is within our rights as hosting files here is a privilege.

I'm sure you understand as a coder how easily it is to misuse code as per your first statement. We just wish to ensure that our users are protected, and sadly that is the only way we can.

We hope no ill will and just wish to provide the best protection for our users. This seems like a very neat idea and I would like to see how it works. If you are ever in need of hosting of this impressive idea, though we shall have to review the source.

So let’s dispense the unpleasentries and get back to being reasonable adults.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
12-24-05, 11:05 PM   #12
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Come on guys, we appriciate the support. But please, lets make sure to keep things civil.

Last edited by Kaelten : 12-24-05 at 11:14 PM.
12-24-05, 11:08 PM   #13
Bandyn
A Murloc Raider

Just curious, but who isn't being civil that's supporting you? I don't believe anything said prior to this was really that uncivil. I'm sure a "stfu n00b" or a "learn2play" could and probably would be classified as uncivil, but I have yet to see a response take that turn. The only thing I've seen so far are well thought out, intelligently written replies from people who have nothing but the best interests of this site at heart. Although a "neat" idea, it is still against the EULA/TOS and was a feature removed by Blizzard after beta.

The only person who I feel was being uncivil was MrB's reply to the request for his code. Other than that, until I see a 12-year-olds reply as mentioned above, I think everyone supporting the Admins here is being more than civil, which is more than MrB deserves.

Last edited by Bandyn : 12-24-05 at 11:14 PM.
12-24-05, 11:12 PM   #14
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Nothing specific, just wanting to keep things from getting out of hand

12-25-05, 12:24 AM   #15
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thank you all, for your support and understanding of our stance on such things. It is to protect *everyone* involved that we have these rules. It protects the *legitimate* coder community from slander and accusation, it protects our end-user community from malicious code and it protects our good name as somewhere that everyone, from coder to user, can trust and count on. It's good to know that our users support us in this.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 12-25-05 at 12:26 AM.
12-25-05, 02:04 AM   #16
tmcnabb
A Fallenroot Satyr

Goodbye

Goodbye .. nice attempt at keylogging ..

Advice do NOT DO NOT use a exe to launch wow.
12-25-05, 05:33 AM   #17
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

When reading this I just rememered the "Trusting Trust" problem (anybody knows of it?).
It describes how there can be 'evil' code in a program without being in the source code itself

Luckily this can't be applied to lua since lua is a script language (and I trust the interpreter build in WoW, or shouldn't I )
12-25-05, 08:01 AM   #18
coder_1024
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
can't you just alt-tab to a browser while playing? I play WoW in windowed mode and frequently alt-tab over to my browser. it shows over top of the game so I can still see whats going on while playing. I don't think you need an addon to do this. Granted, the browser doesn't appear as a WoW frame in-game, but the result is the same, you're seeing your browser over top of the game.
12-25-05, 08:26 AM   #19
Andeh
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
yeah this idea is pretty useless, and seems like such a blatant attempt at getting other peoples accounts. Befor I realised what a waste of time a mod like this is, I still never bothered trying it due to the simple fact that it uses an external .exe to launch the game, which in games like WoW, is a huge no no.
12-25-05, 08:45 AM   #20
coder_1024
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
come to think of it, the general idea could be useful. i.e., a utility which would provide communications between the game/lua world and the "outside" windows world, allowing you to tie out-of-game actions with in-game script behavior. so you could have something in-game which triggers an Email getting sent for example. Granted, I'm not entirely sure where Blizzard's policies would fall with this sort of thing, but purely from a technical standpoint, I could see the use.

so although this particular application, viewing a web page, might not be all that useful, building a generalized tool to do this sort of thing could be.

I agree with the author that no-one can make them release the source for their code. I also agree with the site admins that no-one can make them host an AddOn which doesn't comply with their rules. Bottom line is that releasing the source would probably be the only way to get widespread use of such a tool.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » In-game Thottbot Browser