01-27-06, 05:40 PM   #1
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cirk's Notebook

Notebook allows you to write, send, and receive Notes.

Current version
Notebook is currently version 2.2.0.

Download page
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...sNotebook.html

Known bugs
None when running with the default client.

-- Cirk of Doomhammer

Last edited by Cirk : 09-28-07 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Version update
01-28-06, 12:08 AM   #2
Gaal
A Fallenroot Satyr
I have but one question..... where the heck did you come from? You've been pumping out some pretty well-made and well-working addons in very short order. I have two theories. Either you're some form of alien intelligence on the far side of the moon with nothing better to do that write addons for a game, or you've been working on these off and on for the last year and only now got access to the right client version with the right features to start making them work.

01-28-06, 02:44 AM   #3
Tylius
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I like it =D
Maybe an option for a movable minimap button? Moveable like... Autobuff's one is, just click and drag it mmm

=D
01-28-06, 06:03 AM   #4
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Gaal
I have but one question..... where the heck did you come from? You've been pumping out some pretty well-made and well-working addons in very short order. I have two theories. Either you're some form of alien intelligence on the far side of the moon with nothing better to do that write addons for a game, or you've been working on these off and on for the last year and only now got access to the right client version with the right features to start making them work.
Haha Gaal, thankyou, that made me laugh!

Truth is that I've been working on these mods for a while, on and off, but until now they've really only received circulation amongst my friends and guild mates, who were really the ones that helped me determine the features (and direction) of what the addons became. Anyway, I finally decided I should see if they would also be popular in general, and well, here they are .

I use the US client (I live in Australia), and so far everything is localized for that. Although I've not explicitly added support into my code yet for localization, the structures are all in place for it (strings, etc., all contained in several global tables in each addon, no strings in the XML, etc). I'd be more than happy for feedback on what localization text to use for them though

Originally Posted by Tylius
I like it =D
Maybe an option for a movable minimap button? Moveable like... Autobuff's one is, just click and drag it mmm

=D
I did originally think of a mini-map or other movable button (like Blessings and Chatmanager), but in the end went with the simple approach of just allowing a key-binding since that is frequently the way people will use it once they get it setup how they like it (I use CTRL-N for example, and its kinda become second nature now). If there is enough interest in having something like a button for it though, I can definitely look at adding one.

Thanks for the feedback!

-- Cirk
01-29-06, 10:33 PM   #5
south
A Murloc Raider
Tack option

Cirk
Do you think it might be possible to add a tack option?
What it would do is allow a semi-transparent movable window to show on the screen,like a sticky note, which would contain the just the note.
This would allow to sticky by copy, paste, tack differen notes about quests, locations etc. on the screen.
And while asking about options.
Resizeable too maybe.....?
Titan compatible....?
Thanks
01-31-06, 09:31 PM   #6
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by south
Do you think it might be possible to add a tack option?
What it would do is allow a semi-transparent movable window to show on the screen,like a sticky note, which would contain the just the note.
This would allow to sticky by copy, paste, tack differen notes about quests, locations etc. on the screen.
The problem with adding a "tack" feature is that notes can be a lot larger than your screen size (depending on how much you have typed into them), so it then becomes a question of it should handle scrolling, etc., in this frame outside of the Notebook frame itself.

I did think about giving Notebook a transparency option (to make the entire frame semi-transparent) to allow for players to have Notebook up while doing other things, but haven't implemented that yet.

Note that you can already move Notebook wherever you want on the screen by dragging within the top of the frame where its window name is.

For me, when using Notebook for keeping track of directions, locations, etc., I just switch to the Note I'm interested in for this, drag Notebook to a suitable location on the screen, and then just use the bound key to quickly show/hide the Note whenever I need to look at it.

Originally Posted by south
And while asking about options.
Resizeable too maybe.....?
Titan compatible....?
At this point I'm not keen on allowing resizing of the window, firstly because its based on the existing frames that the WoW client uses (same dimensions, etc.) and that means that the textures, etc. that can be used are limited in size; and secondly because getting the scroll behaviour working right with a resizable window can be a bit painful!
As for Titan compatibility, I've not used Titan, and I'm not sure what you would actually want here? Is there a mechanism for adding it as a button or something? Any pointers/links you could give describing how this would/could work would be useful.

Cheers!
-- Cirk
02-04-06, 02:51 PM   #7
Wyllow
A Murloc Raider
Talking minimap button

i'd love to have a mini map button, too...lol.... Maybe i'm just addicted to those so easy to access buttons, but it is a nice feature! i got used to having one with Parchment... lol... great mod!! love it!!
02-07-06, 08:36 PM   #8
south
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for the answers on use.
There are at the moment a bars addon which basically is a way of reducing stuff on your screen by giving a place to put a button in a organized way. These are Titan, Bhaldie, Ace BossPanel. But so far I have not dabbled much in Lua, as to know the implementation(just a few rough cut & pastes). Using Titan ATM.
A minimap button would probably work if one is able to find space around it lol.
Thanks
02-08-06, 10:01 AM   #9
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

I've been looking for something better than Jotter-K for ages! I hope this does the trick. Feature requests:

- per character notes
- page numbers
- /notebook open <page number> to open that note
- Jotter import if possible! (I know it's unlikely...)

Also it would be nice if there was maybe some way to increase the amount of text viewed - maybe with a double pane a la UberQuest? Or a smaller list of notes?

Anyway, fantastic job - cheers!

- Fin.
04-15-06, 11:39 PM   #10
tkieffer
A Murloc Raider
Getting a weird bug where my right-click menu is showing up at the bottom of my screen (nowhere near my cursor).

I have MG2 and TipBuddy installed both of which modify tooltips, but I'm not sure if that has an impact.
04-19-06, 06:12 PM   #11
Ninjaneer
A Defias Bandit
It doesn't save anymore.
04-30-06, 05:46 AM   #12
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by tkieffer
Getting a weird bug where my right-click menu is showing up at the bottom of my screen (nowhere near my cursor).

I have MG2 and TipBuddy installed both of which modify tooltips, but I'm not sure if that has an impact.
Hi tkieffer. Hmmm, it is possible that MG2 or TipBuddy might be interfering with this somehow. If you disable them (or either of them) does the problem go away? Is it caused by either one, or by both of them together?

Originally Posted by Ninjaneer
It doesn't save anymore.
Saves for me just fine Ninjaneer. Do you have any more details?

Cheers
-- Cirk
05-19-06, 06:21 PM   #13
Ninjaneer
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Cirk
Hi tkieffer. Hmmm, it is possible that MG2 or TipBuddy might be interfering with this somehow. If you disable them (or either of them) does the problem go away? Is it caused by either one, or by both of them together?

Saves for me just fine Ninjaneer. Do you have any more details?

Cheers
-- Cirk
Well, everytime I'm done writing in the notebook.. it doesn't save anymore.
06-09-06, 12:56 AM   #14
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

Notebook crashes WoW on logouts and UI reloads (although it never used to)

Hi,

I've been using your Notebook for a while now, loving it (despite the lack of response to my feature requests :P). Unfortunately however I've just had to disable it. The problem is that every time I reloaded the UI, or logged out, or even sometimes when zoning or just logging in, the whole of World of Warcraft would crash. Windows reported an illegal error about being unable to read a certain memory address.

I am 100% certain it is Notebook - when it is the only addon enabled, I experience the crashes as described above, when disabled, the game plays fine.

The only reason I can think that this might be is that I've made too many notes, going over some internal memory limit for WoW that causes it to try and read outside its limit, or something.

Unfortunately I can't send you my saved variables file as it doesn't seem to have most of my notes there anymore. Sorry about this.

I hope this can be fixed soon - good luck figuring out what it might be. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know (I'd be happy to test any lua SV files you might want me to, etc.). Please send me an email [via PM] if so.

cheers,

- Fin

Last edited by Fin : 06-30-06 at 09:34 AM.
06-25-06, 08:38 AM   #15
Cirk
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Fin
I've been using your Notebook for a while now, loving it (despite the lack of response to my feature requests :P). Unfortunately however I've just had to disable it. The problem is that every time I reloaded the UI, or logged out, or even sometimes when zoning or just logging in, the whole of World of Warcraft would crash. Windows reported an illegal error about being unable to read a certain memory address.

I am 100% certain it is Notebook - when it is the only addon enabled, I experience the crashes as described above, when disabled, the game plays fine.
Hi Fin, that is a very weird bug! From an addon perspective, we aren't really able to do very much "wrong" in terms of memory spaces, etc., although it is quite possible that some of the APIs that Blizzard provides to us could have some underlying bad behaviour. I know 1.11 was supposed to address some memory leak issues, although I'm not sure where they might have been occurring. In terms of memory usage, LUA itself is quite happy having literally millions of distinct entries, and the WoW client itself has very generous buffers for writing out data (consider that many item and auction database addons have multiple megabytes of memory just for their own save files) so I can't see much there that could be going wrong either.

Only thing I can suggest is try increasing the memory allocated to your addons and see if that makes any difference at all. (To do that, login to WoW and go to the character selection screen, and then select the Addons button at the bottom left. At the top-right of the Addons window is a number indicating the amount of memory allocated to addons. Try increasing it by 8 or 16 and see if anything changes).

Cheers,
Cirk
PS: You might want to edit your post and remove your email address from it - I can contact you via PM or similar if we need to do that
06-29-06, 02:14 PM   #16
Naiji
In reponse to the error when exitting WoW: It seems to be an issue with corrupted or malformed saved variables. The only option I've found to fix it is to delete them. I had the same problem with some other addons.

This mod is wonderful! I've been using another one that's smaller, but this has more what I was looking for. Thank you!

In concurrence with some of the the other feature requests, I'd like to see:

- Categories using the [+] icons, etc. Similar to the quest log. (I saw this mentioned in the future enchancements section, but thought I'd mention it anyhow.)

- Per character saves, but only if specified. Some things I might want to look at across other characters, but there might be a few things that I don't want to clutter the book of another character. Not sure how you could do this unless you had a "Share" category or something. But that might lead to the need for subcategories, heh.

- Character count. I use this mod this to store some of my macros and knowing the character count would be wonderful!

- Font adjustsment features. Just changing the font would be great, but color would be fun too. I don't expect to see a full in-game RTF editor, but you get my meaning.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Naiji : 07-01-06 at 04:39 AM.
07-20-06, 06:44 AM   #17
Phanx
Cat.

I like Notebook the way it is: simple and functional. I chose Notebook over the other in-game note addons out there because it has one single purpose, and does it well. It isn't cluttered with frivolous features like tacks and buttons. It just saves plain text in a nice, non-ugly window, and lets me send this plain text to chat.

My only "feature" requests are quite small:

1. Non-server-specific notes. One of my many uses for Notebook is to store my "group leader" speech about loot rules such. Another use is to keep track of bugs and wanted features for the many addons I use, in a central location. I don't mind editing saved variables, but while my loot rules might not change often, my addon note gets modified quite regularly, and all this manual copy/pasting takes away from my valuable WoW-playing time!

2. Add the Notebook window to the "special frames" list or whatever that is so it plays nicer with the other nice, non-ugly windows. i.e. if I have nothing open, Notebook opens in the normal window place. If I then open up the character pane, Notebook moves over into the second window place, or the character window opens there, or something. I don't know how well this would work with the movability though.

Last edited by Phanx : 07-20-06 at 06:50 AM.
07-20-06, 06:59 AM   #18
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This is the ingame notepad of choice for me since several months for the same reasons
pretty much everyone listed: Elegant, Targetted to a single purpose which it serves well etc.

I do have one potentially serious issue with it though.
It has happened on more than occasion to be chance now that I lose all my notes after and official patch
is applied to the game.

I have no idea how the two could be related, but it has happened many times now to be unrelated.

In fact I have come to expect it and I backup the Datafile to an external location the night before the patch...
07-25-06, 02:47 AM   #19
bitz
A Defias Bandit
A few suggestions...

1. When a note is sended to the raid channel, the text of the note can be shown slowly line by line in the chat window. If possible, it would be very useful in the briefing note for raid.

2. Search feature allowing the player to browse all the notes.

3. List and text area can be arranged vertically. If it isn't possible, the seperating bar can be movable.

Above is just my wish.. I don't want to bother you.
Thanks~
08-14-06, 06:14 PM   #20
Fin
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Cirk
Hi Fin, that is a very weird bug! From an addon perspective, we aren't really able to do very much "wrong" in terms of memory spaces, etc., although it is quite possible that some of the APIs that Blizzard provides to us could have some underlying bad behaviour. I know 1.11 was supposed to address some memory leak issues, although I'm not sure where they might have been occurring. In terms of memory usage, LUA itself is quite happy having literally millions of distinct entries, and the WoW client itself has very generous buffers for writing out data (consider that many item and auction database addons have multiple megabytes of memory just for their own save files) so I can't see much there that could be going wrong either.

Only thing I can suggest is try increasing the memory allocated to your addons and see if that makes any difference at all. (To do that, login to WoW and go to the character selection screen, and then select the Addons button at the bottom left. At the top-right of the Addons window is a number indicating the amount of memory allocated to addons. Try increasing it by 8 or 16 and see if anything changes).

Cheers,
Cirk
PS: You might want to edit your post and remove your email address from it - I can contact you via PM or similar if we need to do that
Hi Cirk,

I recently saw this update note added to BugSack's SVN logs:

!BugGrabber: - guard against a WoW crash on reloadui/logout, by truncating errors to 980 characters. More than 983 characters in one string in an SV.lua would crash WoW. Thanks to Devla for providing me with a faulty SV that pointed out the problem. Note that people suffering from a crash right now will have to deleted their SavedVariables\!BugGrabber.lua.
This sounds awfully familiar. I tried installing Notebook again recently and had the same problem, and I hadn't deleted my SavedVariables yet (I'd quite like to keep a lot of those notes). Is it possible Notebook might allow the creation of strings with over 983 chars?

cheers,

- Fin

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Cirk's Notebook