12-15-23, 03:29 AM   #1
Arkhetype
A Kobold Labourer
For start addons developement

Hello, I would like to know if there are sites that explain the basics of development for wow addons?

because as much as I look through the docs, it's not very clear

if only to add helloworld to the object tooltip xD

thanks in advance
12-15-23, 04:59 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This might be a good start for you
https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/HOWTOs

But, sometimes, it's worth finding a simple addon and finding out what makes it work and use that as inspiration.

My first addon was a simple Loot Alerter that allowed me to tag item types etc I wanted to know about and the moment something was looted that matched that filter it would display a message.

However, I did have the advantage of previous programming knowledge. So perhaps someone who wasn't could offer their words of wisdom.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
12-15-23, 09:44 AM   #3
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The basics of the request would be (as a macro, intended for retail client):
Lua Code:
  1. /run if TooltipDataProcessor then TooltipDataProcessor.AddTooltipPostCall(TooltipDataProcessor.AllTypes, function(self, data) self:AddLine("\nHello World!\n") end) end

To turn it into an addon that runs automatically when you login you can copy/paste everything but the /run to the website addon.bool.no. You can inspect your new addon the see what makes the basics of creating an addon, specifically the name of the folder and the name (same as the folder) and contents of the .toc file

To extend this, possibly look at idTip That adds various item/spell etc. ids to the game tooltip

In essence there are many types of addons and most have more than one way to be achieved so being clear about what you want to do makes looking for a starting point easier. Also, there are differencesa in the API between game clients (Classic, WoTK and Retail) so one answer may not fit all, hence the if TooltipDataProcessor

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 12-15-23 at 09:58 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » For start addons developement