10-23-20, 02:00 PM   #21
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Something is only as malicious as it is in its current state. Rewards programs are only exploitative if used in an exploitative manner. Generalizing them all as such is hyperbolic.
I'm not generalising about all reward programmes that have ever been conceived. I'm generalising about reward programmes as they relate to add-on distribution.

If true, another reason the community should come together. Not to sound like I'm doubting your claim, but I would like to see a source on this.
You can search for "carrot" on the CurseForge Discord, it should be the first result.

Last edited by kkot : 10-23-20 at 02:05 PM.
10-23-20, 06:51 PM   #22
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by kkot View Post
I'm not generalising about all reward programmes that have ever been conceived. I'm generalising about reward programmes as they relate to add-on distribution.
And still, they're not inherently exploitative. There is nothing inherently wrong with a program that takes ad and/or subscription revenues, covers the overhead of the host and then redistributes the remainder among authors.

You can search for "carrot" on the CurseForge Discord, it should be the first result.
Awesome. Thanks.
10-24-20, 12:30 AM   #23
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

An Overwolf employee recently described the rewards programme as a 'carrot' and shared his dream of consolidation - on their platform, one would assume.
Well, duh. Every company that exists wants to be the biggest, most profitable, business in their field, even the biggest, most profitable, business in the world.

Yes, the CF rewards programme is a "carrot", and it is a tasty "carrot". But you know what I like more than carrots? Steak and lobster. For me, I upload my addons to Wowinterface, sure, but my development repository is Curseforge, because I like and understand their repo system, and they have this nifty localization system for addons. Wowinterface does not have a localization system, and I do not understand their repo system, and cannot begin to fathom their Addon Packager Proxy tool.

I manually upload to Wowinterface as a convenience to users, not a convenience to myself. I gain nothing from having Wowinterface host my addons, and while it would be great if they offered a reward system, I won't ever lose sleep if they never offer one. If Curseforge/Overwolf ever took their rewards system away, I wouldn't lose sleep over that either.

You are blowing both points completely out of proportion, and since you have stated that you do not wish to offer any constructive ideas, perhaps you should stop replying to this thread. The idea here is to talk about a potential opportunity, and you have been nothing but negative and dismissive.

Last edited by myrroddin : 10-24-20 at 12:34 AM. Reason: I manually upload, not automatic repo package
10-24-20, 12:37 AM   #24
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm generalising about reward programmes as they relate to add-on distribution.
That's a short, short, short list. There is only one reward programme for addon authors. Since you require at least two programmes to make a comparison, then your point has no point. See my first reply.
10-24-20, 03:04 AM   #25
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
One is able to extrapolate on their impact. I haven't said that CF do not offer a better developer experience - I made one simple point which is essentially a truism - I don't want to keep going on about it.

For the record, you do not have to manually upload to WoWI - you can use the BigWigs packager to easily upload to both hosts which is mentioned in the (long abandoned) packager proxy tool thread that you linked to.

On rereading my posts, I did come across as abrasive on occasion; I apologise for that.

Last edited by kkot : 10-24-20 at 03:34 AM.
10-24-20, 05:47 AM   #26
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
But you know what I like more than carrots? Steak and lobster. For me, I upload my addons to Wowinterface, sure, but my development repository is Curseforge, because I like and understand their repo system, and they have this nifty localization system for addons. Wowinterface does not have a localization system, and I do not understand their repo system, and cannot begin to fathom their Addon Packager Proxy tool.
I, too, was manually updating my files here on WoWI until I decided to use the BigWigs pakager. Like kkot said, it supports uploading to both CF/WAce and WoWI. It's fairly easy to use and it allows you to centralize your code base at GitHub. They've even implemented a GitHub action that makes setting it up even easier. It works off the same .pkgmeta that CF does and it has pretty good documentation. It also supports packing for both retail and classic. I highly recommend it.

P.S. You can take a look at Masque's repo to see an example (.pkgmeta and .github\workflows).

On rereading my posts, I did come across as abrasive on occasion; I apologise for that.
Thanks for that. I did check out the CF Discord and found the comment you mentioned. It's definitely a sketchy thing to say, especially considering the data-selling debacle. And while I'd generally tend to agree with Myrroddin about businesses doing business-type things, that comment doesn't lend much in terms of confidence on them getting their shit together. As much as I'd like their whole, "for the authors", bit to be true, they're going to have to prove it.

Last edited by StormFX : 10-24-20 at 06:03 AM.
10-24-20, 05:49 PM   #27
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Someone is going to walk me through that BigWigs packager, in baby steps, treating me entirely like the noob that I am. Which is entirely off the topic. Suffice to say I did look at that, albeit briefly, and was baffled. I really only know SVN, and that's my starting point.

Should anyone want to take the time to guide me, I'd be happy to learn. DM me if you want to be my Jedi Master.
10-25-20, 12:05 PM   #28
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I use TortoiseSVN to upload to the repos here.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-17-20, 11:53 PM   #29
HonorGoG
An Aku'mai Servant

Same as Seerah. I use Sourcetree to maintain my repositories here and manually upload to CF. I actually found this thread because I came to see if WoWUp was doing what another company (that shall remain nameless) was doing several years ago with deeplinking.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » A potential opportunity? (@Dolby)