Deadly Boss Mods 37 42.53%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

01-08-09, 01:57 PM   #1
Ravendwyr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question BigWigs v DBM

I can't decide which set of boss mods to install.

I've used BigWigs/LittleWigs for ages but now I'm not sure whether to stick with it or switch to DBM.

Which should I use and why? Why do you prefer one to the other?
01-08-09, 02:29 PM   #2
tintingurl
A Frostmaul Preserver

i voted DBM just because i've always used that one i never did try bigwigs/littlewigs
01-08-09, 03:34 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Try both, use the one you like.
01-09-09, 10:06 AM   #4
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I used to be a DBM user, but when I got to Solarian in TBC I tried BW because it had a built-in SolarianAlarm :P

I liked it more than DBM so stuck with it ever since.

The opinions are very varied though, so I suggest you simply try both and see which one you personally prefer.
01-09-09, 10:17 AM   #5
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

I've always liked DBM, but then I found out that BigWigs offered 5man instance support with LittleWigs so that's what I use. I have to admit that if DBM ever produced 5man instance support I might go back to that because the configuration seemed better, but I don't see it anytime in the near future. For now I'll stick with BW/LW.
01-09-09, 10:27 AM   #6
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They have both borrowed features from one another in the past,
and are both very good boss mods.

My personal preference stays with BigWigs because I like their basic premise:

"Warning about abilities but leaving tactics to the raiders".

The authoring team have been quite strict in pruning tactics.
For players and guilds like mine that don't do raid-stacking or using copy-paste strats, the flexibility such an approach affords is valuable.
01-09-09, 10:45 AM   #7
brouski
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Ookami.kun View Post
I've always liked DBM, but then I found out that BigWigs offered 5man instance support with LittleWigs so that's what I use. I have to admit that if DBM ever produced 5man instance support I might go back to that because the configuration seemed better, but I don't see it anytime in the near future. For now I'll stick with BW/LW.
The DBM I use has 5 man support...
01-09-09, 10:51 AM   #8
Dimpf
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Ookami.kun View Post
DBM introduced 5 man support in the Wrath instances
01-09-09, 10:52 AM   #9
pHishr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Both are very good, but I prefer DBM since it's - imo - easier to configure and I like the bar functions better.

Plus you never know when you might PvP =P
01-09-09, 10:53 AM   #10
contramundi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
i've always been a DBM user and i love it. Indeed, although theres like 3 packages available:

Core + Wrath
TBC
Pre-tbc

but i think almost any 5 man instance is covered where needed.

If i find a package with bigwigs, i always swap that one for DBM, never really bothered trying it out since DBM works, i know how to set it up exactly the way i want too, wich mostly takes either a minute or 2 or nothing at all depending on my UI layout, and i can't really bother to see and learn how to set up another boss mod only to try it out.

So my advise, just try both and keep the one you like most, or ask your guildies and the one coming out with most people use that one.

Greetz,

CM
01-09-09, 10:59 AM   #11
Ookami.kun
A Cliff Giant

@Dimpf & Brouski

Cool, thanks for the update, I'll have to give it a shot now that they have implemented that which I've been hoping would be added for a while.
01-09-09, 11:17 AM   #12
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I chose Bigwigs cause I have always used it, configuration isn't that tough its not like it will take you three hours to set up. Plus more importantly (I don't know if this is the case now) when I was raiding in tbc timers for DBM always seemed off, half my guild was using dbm so sometimes dbm users would be announcing things over vent and it would cause a wipe or two cause the timers were off, finally someone with bigwigs had to take over announces and we didnt wipe but that might just be a lack of addon updating on the user part.

- Winston Churchill
01-09-09, 01:58 PM   #13
reacean
A Defias Bandit
On that same note keep in mind with current content a lot of timers may seem inaccurate on a lot of boss abilities. This is due to the fact that most bosses will not necessarily use an ability the moment they are able to. At least in the case of bigwigs, they reflect this by saying "Possible X in __ seconds" instead of "X in ___ seconds".
01-14-09, 05:35 AM   #14
sysa
A Kobold Labourer

Same thing with DBM too, it's counting the ability's cooldown, not its next guaranteed use. (Obviously that's what I'm using atm, used to be CTRA back in MC/BWL days, then BigWigs, then DBM.)
01-14-09, 06:48 AM   #15
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
BigWigs also has 5 man suppport you just have to install the lil bro LittleWigs... me I vote BigWigs
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
01-22-09, 03:25 AM   #16
EnSabahNur
A Defias Bandit

Bigwigs is my favourite the timers are more accurate than DBM
01-22-09, 08:24 PM   #17
Visceroid
A Defias Bandit
Using BigWigs again since I once tried DBM for a week and some raids in it. Timers (old Naxx 40man) seemed of a bit on Razuvious and it seemed to have some kind of lag issue there.. as this is quite some time since then they might have been fixed since then but I still stick with BigWigs
01-23-09, 02:31 AM   #18
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by contramundi View Post
i can't really bothered to look and learn. I'm too lazy and would prefer if everyone else failed like me.
Never listen to anyone who uses this attitude in their advice.

Every single raid i have been in where the leader uses dbm, im always hearing : "Bollocks! timers are off"...meanwhile bigwigs is pinging events off as they happen.

The configuration of dbm and bigwigs is EXACTLY the same, with one minor difference: bigwigs has more options.

If you're already using ace addons, bigwigs is better for you in terms of keep memoery down.

Also, I don't think dbm benefits from sharedMedia.

Originally Posted by Miralen View Post
when I was raiding in tbc timers for DBM always seemed off, half my guild was using dbm so sometimes dbm users would be announcing things over vent and it would cause a wipe or two cause the timers were off, finally someone with bigwigs had to take over announces and we didnt wipe but that might just be a lack of addon updating on the user part.
Your demonsrtrating two maybe three things here :

+ that most users who CBF with more options are most typicallly the type who never update their addons.
+ that bigwigs and it's larger team of coders and community of testers provides far more accuracy and update release cycle than dbm can
+ that bigwigs really isnt hard to set up. in fact you don't need to do anything to it after installation.

Originally Posted by pHishr View Post
Both are very good, but I prefer DBM since it's - imo - easier to configure and I like the bar functions better.
You really need to explain this point in more detail, because last time i used DBM the choice for configuring bars were extremly limited compared to bigwigs.

dbm doesnt even have slash commands for creating custom timers, it expects you to open the ui for everything.

Last edited by jadakren : 01-23-09 at 02:38 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » BigWigs v DBM