01-04-07, 05:54 AM   #1
MartijnGP
A Kobold Labourer
How to find a frame's children?

I need to know all the children of the Minimap frame. When looking around I found the function API GetChildren(), but I can't get it to work. I tried the following script in a macro to see if it would have any result at all.

Code:
/run kids = { Minimap:GetChildren() };for _,framechild in ipairs(kids) do mgui_consolemsg("-"..framechild); end
Note: the mgui_consolemsg function prints the input into the chatframe, and I'm 100% sure that works, so that's not the problem.

Which should, according to explanations I found about this function, print a list of names of the frames that have the minimap as their parent. But it doesn't, it says the framechild is a table value, but when I extract that using foreach, it's completely empty.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or possibly another way to find which frames have the Minimap as parent? It doesn't need to be a fast and efficient code, as it will only be ran once during the installation part of this addon, and not during gameplay.

01-04-07, 01:52 PM   #2
pert
A Murloc Raider

Try this:
Code:
/run kids = { Minimap:GetChildren() };for _,framechild in ipairs(kids) do mgui_consolemsg("-"..framechild:GetName() ); end
GetChildren does not return the name of the frames, but the actual frame tables themselves.

My guess is, when you try to write them out as a string, the metatable will be searched for a __tostring method, which most likely has not been overwritten. The default __tostring method will then just be called, and that just tells you what and where it is ( "table" and some numbers )

/PerT

04-26-18, 03:59 AM   #3
dogmax
A Kobold Labourer
You can make a useful macro that will print the names of the children of a frame you a hovering with your mouse.

This is the code you need to put in your macro:

Code:
/run function kiddos () local kiddos = { GetMouseFocus():GetChildren() }; for _, child in ipairs(kiddos) do DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(child:GetName()); end end kiddos();
It's a bit hard to decipher because code that you run in a macro needs to be on the same line.

If you want to understand the code, then here it is with multiple lines and indentations:

Code:
function kiddos () 
    local kiddos = { GetMouseFocus():GetChildren() };
    for _, child in ipairs(kiddos) do 
        DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(child:GetName());
    end
end

Then you can run the code from the chatbox like this:

Code:
/run kiddos();
Which will print the names of the child frames in the chat.

04-26-18, 04:47 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You could, also, try the "framestack" command (/framestack or /fstack [for short command]). Type it in, then just put your mouse over the minimap and hit the "enter" key. That should open a new window (in one of the corners of the screen) that will give you everything that is currently under your cursor. Just run the command again to shut it down. I don't know if it will give you the children of the minimap, but it's worth a shot.

NUTS!! I didn't see that the original post was made in January! I doubt that the original poster is still looking for an answer but I gave him one anyway.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-26-18 at 04:56 AM. Reason: more blah blah blah.

04-26-18, 12:33 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
NUTS!! I didn't see that the original post was made in January! I doubt that the original poster is still looking for an answer but I gave him one anyway.
Not just January. ELEVEN years ago.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-27-18, 10:18 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
I doubt that the original poster is still looking for an answer but I gave him one anyway.
This still holds true, though.

I'm going to go ahead and close this.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-26-18, 01:11 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
OH!! I didn't see THAT though. DOH!!

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » How to find a frame's children?