03-18-05, 02:18 PM   #1
Donovan
A Defias Bandit
Add-On Automatic Update?

I was thinking about all the different add-ons people use (I personally use about 10) and how difficult it is to keep up with the latest version of each add-on and thought there should be a better way.

So, I was curious what the developer community in general thought about a system that could track the most recent versions of each mod, compare it to those installed in a persons interface directory, and (optionally) download the latest version and install it from a single interface?

The major problem with something like that this seems to be in finding the 'current version' of the mod(s) in question and so I wondered if the ui sites such as this one would be willing to include some sort of rss feed which would contain the mod name, most recent version, and the URL to download off the site.

Given that information, I bet it would be fairly easy to write an app that could search the local files in interface/addons and compare it to the rss feed and keep the mods updated.

Anyway, this was just an idea I came up with and wondered how feasible it would be. Thanks.

Donovan
03-18-05, 03:30 PM   #2
Remelio

To the best of my knowledge, all that info is already in our RSS feed, which also includes interfaces that are updated, as well as new uploads.

You can get more info about how to set it up here http://www.wowinterface.com/customfeed.php

Also, most sites now have a favorite feature (including us!) that you can use to see if the UI mods you have marked as favorite have been updated.

Hope this info helps!
03-18-05, 03:40 PM   #3
Donovan
A Defias Bandit
Doh! Obviously I did not know the RSS feed already existed! Excellent!

I did know about the favorites and that is very helpful but you still need to download and install each mod separately.

In any case, while I would love to help on a project like this I'm not a windows programmer so this was really more of a "what if" suggestion for those more talented than I.

I'm sure there are others out there like me who would love a tool like this.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Add-On Automatic Update?