12-30-08, 10:12 PM   #1
heathgeo
A Defias Bandit

Request: Mining / Herbalism Node Alert

If someone's looking for an idea for a new Addon i have one for ya..

While out mining / Herb collecting i tend to pass nodes by accident especially in dangerous areas because i'm trying to pay attn to where i'm going and not staring at the mini map where nodes show up only for a breif couple secs.

Any way someone could make a alert addon for this?
just a simple ding to get your attn & text on screen stating what the node is IE; earthroot, Copper, Titanium ect..

Thanks !
12-30-08, 10:14 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This has been asked so many times, so I'm jsut gonna give the generic response ... this isn't possible because Blizzard doesn't allow us to do this.
12-30-08, 10:20 PM   #3
heathgeo
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
This has been asked so many times, so I'm jsut gonna give the generic response ... this isn't possible because Blizzard doesn't allow us to do this.
Thats odd .. there are addons that do so much more...
nothings automated either..
its kinda like the fishing addon that lets you know when you get a bite...

AH well ..
12-31-08, 01:06 AM   #4
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I think the main reason Blizard doesn't give us access to those dots is hunters and druids. Because they can track stuff, and allowing access to do something with those would make pvp too easy for these characters.
12-31-08, 02:48 AM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

The technical reason why an addon cannot do this is because the blips on the minimap are rendered as part of the minimap image by the game engine, and the UI -- even Blizzard's UI -- has no way to get information about them, any more than the UI could tell you what the average color of the minimap is, or how many blips are on it, etc. Basically, the minimap is a special kind of frame, and is unique, just like the WorldFrame, which is the frame in which the game world is rendered.
12-31-08, 10:52 AM   #6
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
The technical reason why an addon cannot do this is because the blips on the minimap are rendered as part of the minimap image by the game engine, and the UI -- even Blizzard's UI -- has no way to get information about them, any more than the UI could tell you what the average color of the minimap is, or how many blips are on it, etc. Basically, the minimap is a special kind of frame, and is unique, just like the WorldFrame, which is the frame in which the game world is rendered.
Interesting .. learn something new every day :]
12-31-08, 11:20 AM   #7
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
I found an addon that would switch between 2 professions automatically essentially making you able to see both (it'd do it between seconds) but i don't remember the name, and it didn't work for me - although others said they had success.
12-31-08, 11:49 AM   #8
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...3-Tracksw.html

Not the one I used, but kind of the same idea. This integrates w/ GatherMate - I've never used it though - it may no longer work... I have no clue.
01-23-09, 08:01 AM   #9
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

The best 'solution' for gathering nodes would include Routes and a gathering-type addon, I recommend GatherMate.

GatherMate has the module GatherMate_Data, and that will load almost all of the nodes on your map.

Routes draws a line connecting these nodes, and allows you to hit the nodes in a path.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: Mining / Herbalism Node Alert