04-13-10, 06:56 AM   #1
hersheythecat
A Defias Bandit
Recently upgraded to windows 7 - add-ins missing

As titled I recently upgraded to windows 7 and now my addons are not listed on my interface. I have found where they were put in my files but don't know what to do or where to move them to for WOW to be able to find them.

HELP!
04-13-10, 08:09 AM   #2
Chibi
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For me putting them back in the WoW\Interface\Addons folder worked just fine in W7, though you'll need administrator rights to put them there. I'm not sure if it uses an %appdata% path for interface addons or puts them in a VirtualStore/compatibility file like it does for the things in the wtf folder (which also requiures admin rights to see, iirc.) If windows explorer shows a"Compatibility files" option when you navigate to either the interface/addons folder, or the wtf folder, try clicking on that to see if there's anything there, or try typing %appdata% into explorer and poking around to see if WoW's got a folder in there.
04-13-10, 08:29 AM   #3
hersheythecat
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for responding. I looked further into this website and verified that they are in that folder. I just don't have the thing to click when I log into WOW to make them active. It's like the addon button is missing.
04-13-10, 08:46 AM   #4
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Not sure, but you can check

C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns

Vista, Win 7 security-system requires programs to store their
data not in programs-directory.
04-13-10, 08:59 AM   #5
Jiminimonka
A Defias Bandit
I have WOW on a seperate drive from my windows installation. I changed from XP, to Vista and now to 7, and have never had any problems with addons, they are all on the WOW drive in the Interface/Addons folder. If Windows dies, I can re-install and WOW will run without any installation at all.
04-13-10, 09:09 AM   #6
Chibi
A Cyclonian

If WoW's installed on a separate drive, you shouldn't run into any of those kinda problems, I eventually moved my installation just for that reason. If it's not in C:\Program Files (or the x86 flavor) then you should be able to put your addons right in the interface\addons folder without a hitch, it's odd that they're not showing up...Perhaps try running WoW as administrator? Make sure your shortcuts are updated for the copy on the (arbitrarily) D:\ drive instead of the old/original install on the C:\ drive?
04-13-10, 09:53 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Generally it's best to move WoW outside of the Program Files folder as UAC for both Vista and 7 interferes with both adding AddOns and writing data to your WTF folder. Just grab your WoW folder, Cut it (Control X) and then Copy (Control C) somewhere else such as a new Games folder on your C: drive or onto another partition/drive. Any and all games should be moved out of the Program Files folder. This goes for your Steam folder as well.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Recently upgraded to windows 7 - add-ins missing