10-07-10, 06:13 PM   #1
Unkn
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Totem Addon

I've recently rolled a shaman and I'm looking for something specific.
Something sorta like the way zhuntermod operates I believe. Its been a while since I used that.

I want a totem mod that has my totem call, my earth, fire, water, and air and my totem recall on one bar. Thats easy to find.
Though I'd like to be able to mouseover each totem and see a pop up list of each totem I know thats, say, an earth totem. And from that pop up list I can click the totem and it replaces the one on my totem bar.

Might be alot to ask for >.<

My friend suggested totemtimers. But its spammy as all. Has a bunch of things I do not need.

Right now I'm using one totem bar and then have an action bar right beside each different type of totem thats hidden till mouseover.
Its a bit clunky. It serves the purpose but I'm hoping there is something out there that does it in a pop up so i can stop using all these dang buttons.

Oh and if it updates on its own. So when i learn a new totem/rank I dont have to update the hidden bars. That would be amazing

Thanks
Unkn

Last edited by Unkn : 10-07-10 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clarification!
10-07-10, 06:38 PM   #2
brotherhobbes
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
The default totem bar used in combination with another addon like InlineAura would do this for you. Honestly, the default totem bar is really well done.

Here's a picture of my Shaman's totem bar. This is the default Blizzard totem bar. My bar mod is Bartender4 and the highlight and timer is InlineAura.

Last edited by brotherhobbes : 01-22-21 at 06:50 PM.
10-07-10, 08:26 PM   #3
Unkn
Premium Member

Does the default bar show all the totems available to that particular type of totem?

Thats kinda what I'm missing.

I moved grid and took my bars with all my totems off mouseover-show to show you what I mean.

Green box - yay photoshop! - is the mouseover bars. My grid is normally sitting there on all my other toons. So right now totems are really cramping my ui.

I'd like to be able to use the totem bar with dominos. Which I am currently doing, but I'd like to be able to get rid of all these buttons all over my screen. Right now if I want to switch totem on totem bar I mouseover a bar, grab the totem put it on the totem bar and move the one i just picked up back up to the hidden bars. I've lost totems so many times its not even funny, had to go searching thru the spell book again for them.

Would be ideal if I could find a mod that functions like the Blizzard totem bars, where I can "load" a totem into it press my call of the elements and bam 4 totems down, but also has the ability to mouseover each totem to see all the totems of that type and select the one I want in that slot.

PS. Yes I know some of the totems are in 2 places in my screenshot. I'm trying to stream line atm. It was getting out of hand. I'm sure you all know how lvling is.
10-07-10, 09:32 PM   #4
brotherhobbes
When you mouseover the different element types in the default totem bar you get a little up arrow (picture). Clicking on the arrow pops up a list of all of the totems of that element type. Clicking on totem of that element changes the currently selected call to include the chosen totem.

So do you have the Blizzard totem bar disabled with Dominoes right now?

Last edited by brotherhobbes : 01-22-21 at 06:50 PM.
10-07-10, 09:34 PM   #5
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by brotherhobbes View Post
When you mouseover the different element types in the default totem bar you get a little up arrow (picture). Clicking on the arrow pops up a list of all of the totems of that element type. Clicking on totem of that element changes the currently selected call to include the chosen totem.

So do you have the Blizzard totem bar disabled with Dominoes right now?
And theres a reason to use bartender. I'm using the dominos totem bar. It does not do that

Thanks for the help man!
10-07-10, 11:02 PM   #6
nin
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Best solution i got with totems was atotembar in combo with stotemtimers.

I only use one totemset and change that one too whatever totems i want and got that call bound too a key (never had any need too have the other calls. usually its the same totems you drop. or you can change the current setup before encounters or w/e)

Atotembar i had hidden on mouseover.. it works like the blizzard totemmanager with dropout bar too choose totems.

Stotemtimers are basicly just icon and timers (flashing when short duration) on the actual totems you got down, i use this because it shows me the timer of the totems i got up.. even if i use totems midfight with hotkeys (grounding,tremor,cleansing) most totem manager addons doesn't show me that. of the ones i've tried.

Gl with finding what's best for ya.. totems can be a mess if you want it clean :P
10-08-10, 01:03 AM   #7
brotherhobbes
Originally Posted by Unkn View Post
And theres a reason to use bartender. I'm using the dominos totem bar. It does not do that

Thanks for the help man!
Bartender doesn't change the default totem bar functionality at all, it just lets you move it around the screen. Unlike the other action bars which Bartender lets you completely change. Sounds like Dominoes is somehow messing the totem bar up. Might be something to let Tuller know about.

Anyway...

I use the totem bar to set up my calls that I use all the time. The situational totems like Grounding and Tremor I either have keybound or in a spot I can click on. I don't play my Shaman a huge amount though.

If you don't like what the above poster suggested here's some other links:
Yata - Yet Another Totem Addon -> http://www.wowace.com/addons/yata/
Totem Manager - http://www.wowace.com/addons/totemmanager/
Improved Totem Frame - http://www.wowinterface.com/download...otemFrame.html (no call/recall buttons)
TotemCallSetup - http://www.wowace.com/addons/totemcallsetup/ (lets you change your calls if you use something like with no call button)
10-08-10, 01:49 AM   #8
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by brotherhobbes View Post
Bartender doesn't change the default totem bar functionality at all, it just lets you move it around the screen. Unlike the other action bars which Bartender lets you completely change. Sounds like Dominoes is somehow messing the totem bar up. Might be something to let Tuller know about.

Anyway...

I use the totem bar to set up my calls that I use all the time. The situational totems like Grounding and Tremor I either have keybound or in a spot I can click on. I don't play my Shaman a huge amount though.

If you don't like what the above poster suggested here's some other links:
Yata - Yet Another Totem Addon -> http://www.wowace.com/addons/yata/
Totem Manager - http://www.wowace.com/addons/totemmanager/
Improved Totem Frame - http://www.wowinterface.com/download...otemFrame.html (no call/recall buttons)
TotemCallSetup - http://www.wowace.com/addons/totemcallsetup/ (lets you change your calls if you use something like with no call button)
Dominos does change the functionality it seems. And thats what I am using. I'm going to change over to bartender so I don't loose that function.
The regular totem bar is fine for what I want. I just didn't realize it had the pop up function because I've never used the plain blizzard totem bar.

Thanks for all your help!
10-08-10, 06:05 AM   #9
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Unkn View Post
Dominos does change the functionality it seems. And thats what I am using. I'm going to change over to bartender so I don't loose that function.
The regular totem bar is fine for what I want. I just didn't realize it had the pop up function because I've never used the plain blizzard totem bar.

Thanks for all your help!
As mentioned, Bartender merely grabs the default bar and re-parents it to a Bartender frame. The disadvantage of this is that if you wanted the bar vertical or in two rows or what have you, you really can't. I think Tuller tries to offer this option with his own version of totem buttons which does not touch the Blizzard totem bar.

I can tell you from personal experience that replicating the default totem bar by an addon is fraught with issues as the totem bar is not well supported in the UI API from an addon author's point-of-view. My own addon does the same as Bartender and just grabs the default Blizzard totem bar and parents it to a new frame.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-08-10, 02:21 PM   #10
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Maul View Post
As mentioned, Bartender merely grabs the default bar and re-parents it to a Bartender frame. The disadvantage of this is that if you wanted the bar vertical or in two rows or what have you, you really can't. I think Tuller tries to offer this option with his own version of totem buttons which does not touch the Blizzard totem bar.

I can tell you from personal experience that replicating the default totem bar by an addon is fraught with issues as the totem bar is not well supported in the UI API from an addon author's point-of-view. My own addon does the same as Bartender and just grabs the default Blizzard totem bar and parents it to a new frame.
Yeah the dominos_totem bar seems to destroy the functionality. It reforms its function as a place to drop totems for that specific call. But thats it. But with dominos you can resize, change orientation, or layout of the buttons. Seems you sacrifice the function of being able to change the totems from the pop up on the totem menu for the ability to have the bar "match" the ui. Which may be just fine for end game for my shaman.

Right now though, wow its a bit crazy. Who at blizzard decided... "Hey I've got an idea, Shamans! They'll have totems, these crazy things they'll tote around. But it will take us years - yeeeeearrs - to get a ui element in game to help with their management."

I appreciate all the help guys. Its just the ocd in me... stuff must be a certain way, a certain place, and -RAWR- all the lovely functionality must be included in one dang mod that doesn't have stuff I don't need. Which is rarely how it happens. I know this. Everyone that has any where near as custom ui as I have, knows this. I'll get it all perfect one day.
10-08-10, 08:12 PM   #11
brotherhobbes
If you're sticking with Dominoes, did you check out any of the totem bar addons and see if they did what you wanted?
10-08-10, 08:55 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Aren't totems included in the popup menus/buttons for Cataclysm?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-08-10, 10:50 PM   #13
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I didn't read every response, but have you ever checked out Yata?

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/yata.
10-08-10, 11:13 PM   #14
aiikachi
A Cyclonian

I'm going to second/third the replies of "Yata". I was a long-time TotemTimers user, but recently switched to Yata because it does all the bare-bones things I need, without inclusion of tons of popups and extras.
10-09-10, 05:36 AM   #15
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Aren't totems included in the popup menus/buttons for Cataclysm?
Not that I have seen as of yet. Since Blizzard provides it's own totem bar, they do not provide flyout spells directly but instead hardcode totem-specific flyout menus into the totem bar.

And since I do not play a shaman, I forgot about yata. That would probably be the best option for any shaman using an action bar addon since it has other useful features for shamans

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
10-09-10, 06:53 AM   #16
diablo0813
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Personally I use Dominoes and just disable the totem bar portion of it. I then use aTotemBar for the totems. Here's a screenshot of how it looks.

What's not visible in the screenshot is that the only reason you are seeing the little up arrow on the "Call" button is because my cursor is over it.
10-09-10, 12:35 PM   #17
Unkn
Premium Member

Okay. Sticking with Dominos. I can't bring myself to change 5 toons I play regularly and god knows how many alts for 1 toon.

I've tried Yata, and after changing the set up a little bit it works perfectly for what I want. And it makes it rather easy to change my sets. YAY

my first banana dancer in appreciation for all your help guys. This is why I like wowinterface so much.
10-09-10, 10:15 PM   #18
brotherhobbes
glad it worked out

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Totem Addon