04-12-18, 08:32 AM   #1
doofus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
GetRaidRosterInfo and GROUP_ROSTER_UPDATE

Some issues with these two.

I am in a raid. Logout. Log back in. I receive 3 invocations of GROUP_ROSTER_UPDATE, and I fire GetRaidRosterInfo as a result. It comes back with "name"= nil "class"=nil "zone"=nil.

If I call it again later it then comes back with the right information.

I am only calling GetRaidRosterInfo to get the "role" (who is the tank) but other than that I do not think I need it.

As an aside, the methods of enumerating raid members are to make up my own "unit" handles depending on I am in a group or in a raid, eg "player" "party1" or "raid1" "raid2". Another way is to get the unit names from the Blizzard's raid frames by constructing the handles "CompactRaidGroup1Member1" or "CompactPartyFrameMember1" but that is as "bad" as constructing the unit handles in the first place.

Because GetRaidRosterInfo cannot be trusted to return the right information maybe I can skip it altogether. Does anyone know a replacement or another way to enumerate party/raid members and their roles ?
04-12-18, 09:12 AM   #2
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can find out if it’s a raid or not using IsInRaid(), then just use a for loop with 1-4 in a party and 1-40 in a raid, concatenating "party"..i or "raid"..i. Use UnitName(unit) and UnitGroupRolesAssigned(unit).

Last edited by Kanegasi : 04-12-18 at 09:26 AM. Reason: party 1-4, not 5
04-13-18, 02:11 AM   #3
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Lua Code:
  1. if IsInRaid() then
  2.     for i = 1, GetNumGroupMembers() do
  3.         print(UnitName(raid .. i))
  4.     end
  5. elseif IsInGroup()
  6.     for i = 1, GetNumGroupMembers() do
  7.         print(UnitName(party .. i))
  8.     end
  9. else
  10.     print("I am not in a group")
  11. end
GetNumGroupMembers() is great if the party is not a full 4 members or the raid is not a full 40 people. It prevents nil errors this way.
04-13-18, 05:39 AM   #4
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Lua Code:
  1. if IsInRaid() then
  2.     for i = 1, GetNumGroupMembers() do
  3.         print(UnitName(raid .. i))
  4.     end
  5. elseif IsInGroup()
  6.     for i = 1, GetNumGroupMembers() do
  7.         print(UnitName(party .. i))
  8.     end
  9. else
  10.     print("I am not in a group")
  11. end
GetNumGroupMembers() is great if the party is not a full 4 members or the raid is not a full 40 people. It prevents nil errors this way.
FWIW, I have witnessed IsInGroup() returning false while in a group. I use the number of group members to reliably check group status, which returns 0 if you aren’t in a group.
04-13-18, 08:54 AM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
FWIW, I have witnessed IsInGroup() returning false while in a group.
So have I, usually when you use ZONE_CHANGED or ZONE_CHANGED_INDOORS. Each time I've seen IsInGroup() fail, the player has zoned into or out of an instance, although there may be other occurrences.

Should that be the case, check the player's position for x, y. If both exist and both are 0, then register GROUP_ROSTER_UPDATE() and run the code I posted above.

You could also use C_Timer.After and call GRU on a couple of seconds' delay, but if you use this method, you will still have to make sure of x and y.
04-13-18, 08:56 AM   #6
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Addenum: when zoning out of an instance, x, y need to exist and have values other than 0, 0 because actual zones have coordinates. 0, 0 is only true while inside instances. Just clarifying before someone calls me on that!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » GetRaidRosterInfo and GROUP_ROSTER_UPDATE