08-17-16, 02:25 PM   #1
Joker119
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Animation over player orbs (diablo style UI) question

So I'm working on getting animations working on Roth UI again. My problem up to this point is, the animations do not un-fill from depleted health/power orbs, and they dissapear completely upon reload, but reappear on zone-change loading screens (like joining a dungeon for example).

One of my users discovered changing "scrollChild" or "orb" on this line: https://github.com/galaxy119/Roth_UI...layer.lua#L444
makes the animations persist through reloads, zone changes and the like. However, I am faced with the same problem of them not un-filling from depleted orbs.
Now I know before, it used the scrollChild to unfill the orbs, however using it doesn't seem to work anymore, and I'm not sure why, or how to fix the problem.

All of the code can be found in my Git: https://github.com/galaxy119/Roth_UI
08-17-16, 05:43 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

Why do you keep posting new threads about the same issue?
08-17-16, 07:01 PM   #3
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Why do you keep posting new threads about the same issue?
The young padawan lacks patience.

I definitely believe taking over a project like RothUI when you're completely new to Lua wasn't a wise choice.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List
08-17-16, 07:26 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

I don't have any specific insight on this animation problem, which is why I haven't posted anything more than general suggestions in the previous threads on the topic, but the multiple threads have definitely made it more difficult to help with the nameplate issues from the same author. When they've all had new posts since my last visit, it's annoying to have to cross-reference dates on posts in multiple threads to figure out what's already been answered and what's still relevant... and since the same code errors kept appearing in each new thread, it wasn't even clear if answers in other threads had even been seen, which is pretty frustrating.
08-17-16, 07:42 PM   #5
Joker119
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I only start a new topic if it's on an issue unrelated to the previous topics, for example the nameplates: a topic on unit classification issues, once that was resolved, a new topic on re-writing textures.

For this one, a topic on it bugging out the UI making it transparent, that's now solved, this topic is related to the animation itself not displaying properly on unfilled orbs.
08-17-16, 07:44 PM   #6
Joker119
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The young padawan lacks patience.

I definitely believe taking over a project like RothUI when you're completely new to Lua wasn't a wise choice.
I'm not COMPLETELY new to Lua, but new enough it shows, and I have a lack of general knowledge. I have been editing and maintaining my own version of Roth since WOTLK, seperate from Zork's, only now he is no longer maintaining his version for me to copy from on issues I can't figure out.
08-17-16, 09:09 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Galaxy119 View Post
For this one, a topic on it bugging out the UI making it transparent, that's now solved, this topic is related to the animation itself not displaying properly on unfilled orbs.
But they're all issues with the same parts of the same code -- animated models on top of statusbars.

In this case I don't have anything to contribute to the topic, as I've never done anything with models, and very little with animations, and don't have the time or the desire to do a lot of research into a topic that's not relevant to my own addons/interests at all, so I'd rather not see a new thread about the same thing pop up every other day.

In the case of your nameplate issues, I found it very frustrating to try to help you when there were multiple threads, for the reasons already explained in my last post. People who may be inclined to help you with the "animated models on statsubars" stuff would probably have an easier time doing that if it was all in one place.

Another suggestion -- rather than linking to your entire GitHub repo with 100 files for a complete UI, it would be helpful if you posted links to the specific file(s) relevant to your issue. Nobody wants to spend time searching and guessing what you might have called things or how you organized your files, just to find the code you need help with.
08-18-16, 04:12 AM   #8
Joker119
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

@Phanx - I apologize, on other developer type forums I've been on, people actually get angsty if you DO what you suggest, rather than making a new topic for each individual issue you have. I will keep this in mind for the future. Also, for the github thing, since alot of code in the player.lua file relies on the core/lib and core/panel files, I thought it would be easiest to provide a link to the github for everyone. I will be more concise from now on.

On a side note; I've discovered the problem seems to be that models in the scrollChild do not automatically crop themselves if the scrollFrame changes in size.
I can get the models to crop if I make the scrollChild say twice as tall as the scrollFrame, and manually use a slider to scroll up and down, however, when the scrollFrame changes size (IE: the health/power is depleted from it's parent orb) the model inside the scrollChild will extend past the edge of the scrollframe, rather than being cropped.

If anyone has any idea how to work around this, I'd greatly appreciate it, as it's now the final feature my version of Roth is missing that the original had.

Even zork wasn't able to offer much insight into this issue.
08-18-16, 06:49 AM   #9
Lombra
A Molten Giant

I've not really followed your threads, but I would say generally if you encounter a new issue as a result of a change you made, that might be suitable for that same thread. The title you picked for the topic might also help you determine. If the new issue clearly doesn't have anything to do with the existing topic title I don't see anything wrong with making a new thread. Again, unless maybe it's very closely related to the fix for your previous issue.

As for the issue at hand, it sounds like this is relevant:
http://wowprogramming.com/docs/widge...crollChildRect
08-18-16, 01:45 PM   #10
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

https://github.com/zorker/rothui/blo...rame2/core.lua

Wrote a test addon for Galaxy, maybe sth not obvious has changed but I got it working without issues.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 08-18-16 at 01:48 PM.
08-19-16, 10:37 AM   #11
Joker119
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thanks to zork's wonderful test addon I was able to solve this issue.
Apparently, for some reason I now have to set the scroll frame height to get it to properly crop the animation model. So adding
Code:
 h = orb.size*per
orb.scrollFrame:SetHeight(h)
to the update function solved the issue.
I'm not entirely sure why this change was needed, but without zork's test addon I probably would never have guessed to try something so simple.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Animation over player orbs (diablo style UI) question