Bradik
A Kobold Labourer

Carbonite or Quest helper?

I usually use Carbonite but just seeing what is preferable by most
03-31-09, 01:51 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I prefer Lightheaded + TomTom over both of them.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
03-31-09, 01:57 PM   #3
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
This is the most memory efficient combo if you're looking to go that route. I use QH right now, but haven't tried Carbonite since they released the full version.
03-31-09, 02:13 PM   #4
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I personally use the full version of Carbonite. Good news to those who did not want to pay for it...I guess the developers/authors are going to keep up working on it, and release it for free to keep within Blizz's new rules.

The reasons I use Carbonite over QuestHelper:

- Carbonite has replaced a lot more addons that I used to use that just QuestHelper. It has a warehouse feature that saves inventory, bank, and mail information for all of you toon that can be accessed while logged into any of your characters on either faction (replaced Altaholic). It has flight timers (replaced flight timers from QH). It replaced my map addon(s), since it has a zoomable, dragable map (Replaced various map addons I used to switch between (either a combo of Mapster and Yatlas, or Cartographer3)). It has a built in quest log and quest tracker improvements, including a completed-quests log, and feature that moves the quest rewards to the top of the details pane for quick access with no scrolling (Replaced QuestGuru).

- My personal preference on the way tracked quests show on the world map. They display the areas where quest objectives can be found at all times (if the option to hide them are not turned on) instead of having to hover over an icon to show the areas.

- Includes Battleground maps and easy to view on map info for battlegrounds that (IMO) is second to none.

- I was having crashing problems that occurred pretty regularly with QuestHelper. I was reluctant to believe it was an addon, but after reading a few posts on various forums, others thought that QH was the culprit too. Since un-installing QH, I've had a lot less crashing (almost none). Possible coincidence, but after using Carbonite, I like it on the whole better anyway.

In the end Carbonite is a lot more than just a questing addon. It's a whole mess of features I think the default UI should have anyway in one easy download.
03-31-09, 02:39 PM   #5
Slakah
A Molten Giant

LightHeaded, End of the Line, QueTip and TomTom (Yes I do enjoy plugging my own mods )
03-31-09, 03:45 PM   #6
Pigl33t
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
I use them both too (used to use Cartographer over TomTom back when you could click coords and they got auto added as a waypoint.) But I use QH too for much easier quest completion and just use Lightheaded if I need more info or if the QH info is wrong or unclear.
03-31-09, 06:17 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Carbonite all the way. QuestHelper causes too many issues.
03-31-09, 07:09 PM   #8
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

My preference is carbonite and lightheaded. I have found a few quests missing in carbonite, well not missing but wrong coords and also lightheaded has comments which means sometimes you find helpful tips such as do this quest with this one and this one since they are near or in the same place as the first quest. I use carbonite because as stated, it replaced a bunch of my mods into one.

- Winston Churchill
03-31-09, 07:11 PM   #9
Arthinos
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Bradik View Post
I usually use Carbonite but just seeing what is preferable by most
Questhelper hands down.
Unfortunately not for too long

QuestHelper R.I.P.
03-31-09, 10:20 PM   #10
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Arthinos View Post
Questhelper hands down.
Unfortunately not for too long

QuestHelper R.I.P.
WOOT! And QuestHelper is not as dead as people think. Reread Zorba's post. He's not stopping development, he just has to slow down as he's going to have to get a "real" job as well.
03-31-09, 11:45 PM   #11
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

My vote goes to LightHeaded.

I use QuestHelper on my alts to speedup leveling but am adamant that first time players (or first time content) should not be assisted with any addon beyond LH's comments.

Zroba had some issues with QH when WotLK first went live but since v.77 or so, it's been fixed (Lagaran/Dalalag being the major culprit). I have never had QH crash on me.

04-02-09, 02:04 PM   #12
xemm
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Carbonite

all the way

i like being able to log into dalaran whenever i want honestly....

Tawne

Eldre'thalas
04-05-09, 02:19 PM   #13
lordlundar
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm one of the few people here that has been using cartographer, but one of the devs is walking away from the project, so I think I'll grab the Lighthead/TomTom Combo, as I go to WoWHead a LOT!

I did use Carbonite for a little bit, but I found it to be too busy for my tastes.
04-05-09, 04:42 PM   #14
Wolvig
Premium Member
Well guess I'm the wierd one.I have Tomtom,Carbonite,Lighthead,And Cartographer.Each has something the others don't so I have a use for each.I like the on screen map Carbonite has,the details lighthead gives you and for Cordinates and such Tomtom is the best.Cartographer gives me info and maps on zones and instances.So guess it comes down to what you want to accomplish.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Carbonite or Quest helper?