12-01-10, 03:34 AM   #1
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Drop-Down Menus Stop Responding. Help!

After a period of time, sometimes seconds and sometimes hours, the drop-down menus stop responding. I don't mean the right-click ones on unit frames, I'm referring to the ones in, say, the interface options window/LFG/etc.

Bugsack doesn't capture anything relevant, that I can see. I've tried disabling all addons and enabling them one by one, but the menus chose not to bork up and so I couldn't figure out what was causing it. My only other option is to enable one addon at a time and play like that for possibly hours until the menus stop responding.

I'm hoping someone here has had the same issue and can say "Aha! It was this mod! Or this conflict!", or at least tell me how I can go about figuring out which mod it is in a way that won't drive me nuts.

"The truth is like sunlight: people used to think it was good for you."
12-01-10, 05:05 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

Nevertheless an addon list could be helpful.

You also could try to narrow down the problem to addons using/altering the dropdown stuff.
A full text search for "UIDropDownMenu" in you addons folder could be a first step.
12-01-10, 06:46 AM   #3
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

The search yielded nothing, unfortunately.

I've attached a list of my addons, as it's pretty big. The only one that I've noticed any comments on in regards to people having issues with the drop-downs is Mapster, but I edited the code per a user suggestion and it didn't fix my issue like it fixed his.
Attached Files
File Type: txt filename.txt (16.0 KB, 618 views)

12-01-10, 08:16 AM   #4
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I find it very unlikely that there isn't one of all those addons that contain "UIDropdownMenu" , did you do a full text search (searching the contents of each file)?

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it in Windows 7s own search-function, besides adding .lua files to the list of types to be indexed. I know it was possible in XP, but can't remember offhand how. :P But any editor more advanced than Notepad could probably do it, I use Notepad++ which has this function ("Search in files").

I did a search for "UIDropDownMenu" in my Postal-folder, limiting it to *.lua only. This yielded 121 hits in 5 files. Not saying Postal is the culprit or anything, just one of the addons we both had.
12-01-10, 12:12 PM   #5
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
I think it could be a taint issue. If the full text search suggested by Ailae doesn't yield any results, type /console taintlog 1 and any time you see a message "Interface action blocked because of an AddOn", reload the UI and open logs/taint.log in your World of Warcraft folder. Then post it here.
12-01-10, 01:21 PM   #6
Zidomo
A Cliff Giant

In addition to the /console taintlog 1 method suggested by the above poster, in BugSack you can head to its options and uncheck Filter addon mistakes. That will give you taint records in BugSack/BugGrabber.

For a decent text search program, there is also the totally free (no ads, etc.) Nirsoft Search My Files. Done by a programmer who's been around for quite a while and has a massive pile of free Windows utilities on his site.

On the File contains... row, select "Text" or "Binary" (or None) from the dropdown on the right. Enter your text string & search folders and off you go.

Last edited by Zidomo : 12-01-10 at 03:30 PM.
12-01-10, 05:49 PM   #7
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

The search didn't yield anything (which I also found weird) but it's more than probable that I did it wrong since I was running on an hour's sleep. I'll run it now and attach the results.

I have Bugsack set to show taint records, but the taint that it shows doesn't seem to be what's causing my menus to bork up unless it's totally random whether they do or not. Sometimes they've messed up before I even enter into combat (when the message pops up), like the other day when I literally logged on and they didn't work.

Here's the results of the search: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11101373/DropDown.txt

Last edited by Moxie : 12-01-10 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added a link to a comment containing the Bugsack-captured taint message.
12-01-10, 06:21 PM   #8
Ailae
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I'm guessing you've tried running without the one spewing taint? Taint can be quite icky and confusing and end up breaking all sorts of things.

If you've tried without, I'd just start disabling any of the addons that uses the UIDropDownMenu extensively.
12-01-10, 10:42 PM   #9
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Yup, it happens even with the addon that gives the taint turned off (I have a profile for raiding that doesn't include it, and it happens there too).

I'll try messing around with those specific addons turned off one by one tomorrow and report back if I find anything. Have to do something to waste time while the Christmas tree is being bought. ^.^

12-02-10, 03:46 AM   #10
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

So far, I've managed to eliminate the following add-ons either by uninstalling them (because I rarely used them anyway) or by disabling them one by one:

WIM
Altoholic
TheErrorIsALie
Mapster
GnomishVendorShrinker
LLPVPState
RaidAchievement
PhoenixStyle
nibSpellAlertConfig
TotemTimers
NPCScan

And once again, the menus stopped responding (or, more specifically, didn't respond to begin with) as soon as I logged on tonight.

This is driving me batty.

Last edited by Moxie : 12-02-10 at 04:09 AM.
12-02-10, 08:12 AM   #11
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well I don't know if this can help in a round about way but I've never had that problem
and from your list these are the addons I don't have installed.
(if it is an addon related issue that is, there's still a chance it's a blizzard thing unless you've run without any addons for a while)

Code:
+AddonChatMessageHider
Aloft
Altoholic
AuctionLite
Baggins
Bazooka_Options
ButtonFacade
CancelMyBuffs
DBM-Core
DBM-Core
DBM-Sunwell
DBM-Sunwell
DataStore_Crafts
FB_TrackingFrame
FishingBuddy
Forte_Talent
GhostRecon
Moniker
MoveAnything
OPie
Overachiever
PCValkMon
PassLoot
PhoenixStyleMod_Coliseum
PhoenixStyleMod_Icecrown
PhoenixStyleMod_Ulduar
PhoenixStyle
PowerAurasButtons_Config
Prat-3.0
Prat-3.0_Libraries
RaidAchievement_AchieveReminder
RaidAchievement
RaidAchievement_CataHeroics
RaidAchievement_CataRaids
RaidAchievement_Icecrown
RaidAchievement_Naxxramas
RaidAchievement_Ulduar
RaidAchievement_WotlkHeroics
SBFOptions
SatrinaBuffFrame
ShadowsEclipseMonitor
SickOfClickingDailies
Skinner
TheErrorIsALie
TimeToDie
TinyDPS
Tukui
TweakWoW
VampArrow
WeakestLink
ZOMGBuffs
_NPCScan
bcsGBF
nibSpellAlertConfig
12-02-10, 01:34 PM   #12
Taryble
A Molten Giant

A few addons you can remove from Dridzt's list (I use them and have never had a problem with dropdown menus)

Code:
AuctionLite
ButtonFacade
Opie
Overachiever
SBFOptions
Satrina Buff Frames
ZOMGBuffs
12-02-10, 04:51 PM   #13
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Decabah View Post
And once again, the menus stopped responding (or, more specifically, didn't respond to begin with) as soon as I logged on tonight.
this means they dont show up at all or you just cant click them?
12-02-10, 04:53 PM   #14
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

So far, the culprit seems to be the Ace3 port of Baggins. I disabled Aloft but my menus still borked up. I disabled Baggins and it's been 1.5hours with no hiccups.

This is a tentative identification, because I still have two add-ons (Skinner and the TukUI package) to test, but so far so good (or bad, since I'd love to keep using Baggins).

12-02-10, 04:54 PM   #15
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by DarkStarX View Post
this means they dont show up at all or you just cant click them?
I can see the drop-down arrow to click, but nothing happens when I click on it in any window that it appears in.

12-02-10, 05:24 PM   #16
Dorwido
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Decabah View Post
So far, the culprit seems to be the Ace3 port of Baggins. I disabled Aloft but my menus still borked up. I disabled Baggins and it's been 1.5hours with no hiccups.
nvm found it

Last edited by Dorwido : 12-02-10 at 05:41 PM.
12-02-10, 06:10 PM   #17
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I may be getting closer to figuring this out. These errors showed up in Bbugsack as soon as I re-enabled Baggins after three hours of grinding Ratchet rep in Stranglethorn with no errors.

Code:
1x <event>ADDON_ACTION_BLOCKED:AddOn 'Baggins' tried to call the protected function '<unnamed>:Hide()'.
<in C code>: in function `Hide'
Baggins-515\Baggins.lua:1630: in function <Baggins\Baggins.lua:1629>
(tail call): ?:
Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:874: in function `CloseDropDownMenus':
<string>:"*:OnHide":1: in function <[string "*:OnHide"]:1>
Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1451: in function `SetUIPanel':
Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1527: in function `HideUIPanel':
Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1202: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1194>:
<in C code>: in function `SetAttribute'
Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1894: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1881>:
<in C code>: ?
<in C code>: in function `HideUIPanel'
Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:1898: in function `HideParentPanel':
<string>:"*:OnClick":1: in function <[string "*:OnClick"]:1>

---
Code:
3x <event>ADDON_ACTION_BLOCKED:AddOn 'Baggins' tried to call the protected function '<unnamed>:Hide()'.
Baggins-515\Baggins.lua:1630: in function <Baggins\Baggins.lua:1629>
(tail call): ?:
Interface\FrameXML\UIDropDownMenu.lua:621: in function `UIDropDownMenuButton_OnClick':
<string>:"*:OnClick":1: in function <[string "*:OnClick"]:1>

---
My menus are still working so far, but we'll see.

I'd rather figure out which add-on is definitely causing the problem before I go creating tickets for the author to deal with.

12-02-10, 06:21 PM   #18
Moxie
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Ok, with everyone's help in eliminating our mutual add-ons one by one, and the fact that my menus just stopped working, I'm going to say it's Baggins.

I'll open a ticket and see what can be done.

Thanks for everyone's help.

12-04-10, 12:00 AM   #19
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

(wow forums down for maintenance so am "roaming")

Have you tried using the main branch of Baggins ?

Because according to http://www.wowace.com/search/?search=baggins

The Ace3 version of baggins was last updated by Elsia in 18 September 2009. Doesn't appear to even be a files link on wow ace for it.

The main branch however has been getting regular updates all the way up to 4.0.1 :

http://www.wowace.com/addons/baggins/files/
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
12-04-10, 12:11 AM   #20
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Ah. I see you put a ticket on the main Baggins Branch page but not one for the Ace3 port of Baggins.

The problem is the Ace 3 port is an experimental version of it and is not guaranteed to work or be updated AFAIK.

Even the author of the experimental Ace 3 port had trouble getting it to work with the current patch :

http://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=3934&page=112

Post # 1117
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Drop-Down Menus Stop Responding. Help!