10-10-09, 04:18 AM   #21
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
From my experience, it depends on whether or not it's "broken" English (aka as spoken by a non English speaker who only has a rudimentary understanding of the language) or if it is "lazy" English (as used by many English speakers online). "L33T speak" is a form of "lazy" English. Since I an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher, I can usually spot the difference. I am much more tolerate of "broken" English than I am of "lazy" English. I usually don't even bother trying to decipher "lazy" English.
Completely agree. Sometimes I misjudge whether or not its 'lazy English' or not, but if there's even a question, I ignore it. If it's broken English, I do try to comprehend it. Now where I have real trouble understanding... is broken lazy English. If English isn't your first language, for the love of God, do NOT attempt l33t-speak. It makes me hunt for kittens to kick (or punt, if you prefer).

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
I find that rather interesting as I went an American public school system in Montana for my entire primary/secondary education. All of my grade 1-6 teachers and my grade 7-12 English/Literature teachers hammered both grammar and punctuation as well as spelling. This was particularly true in high school as bad grammar and punctuation could mean the difference a good grade on my homework and having the "talk" with my parents. My teachers were successful in hammering home the point of good grammar, punctuation and spelling as I, even now 15 years after I graduated high school, continue abide by my education even online.
I went to private school k-3, and I can remember getting whacked on the palm of my hand if I used anything other than proper English, or if the word "ain't" was spoken (my mother and sisters were southerners and the accent and words they used were hilarious, but it got me into trouble if I 'picked up' on how they spoke). In public school I had trouble adjusting to how lax the teachers were and I was in trouble a lot for correcting teachers. Then when I moved to Georgia from South Florida, I felt as though I was in another country. I was moved up two grade levels for both English and Math to keep me from being bored. I find it sad how in different parts of the country (and world), there are such varied standards of teaching. Children are capable of learning at an extreme pace under the right conditions, but different cultures frown on it, describing it as discipline or abuse (when humans are wired for learning, it's the only thing we are truly good at).

Enough of my rambling, where'd that kitty get off to?
10-16-09, 10:03 AM   #22
ffxiedyn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

help! game stops wont play more now how does this fix?

^ that would be someone who has not learned English, but merely hears it spoken and is desperate!!

wat? i dun understand u y u say dat?

^ that would be a lazy english person

both, imo, are hard to read, but ither way, a simple reply is all it takes to get more info from the poster

"i'm sorry, but im having trouble reading your post, could you please use a dictionary to repost? that may help others to read your post better."

vrs a reply that is simply mean spirited

"man, go back to school before you post, you are a loser and i don't have time for you!"

there is a difference in posting for the sake of posting, and actually posting to be informative/helpful/productive/contribute

personally, i would bend over backwards to help the hard to read poster, then i would an asshat poster anyday, as long as real life lets me do so ^^;
10-16-09, 11:22 AM   #23
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
So which one of those is Russian pumped into Babelfish?
10-16-09, 11:23 AM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
So which one of those is Russian pumped into Babelfish?
the first. Babelfish doesn't give you "u" for "you", etc.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Is it harder for native english speaking to understand broken english?