11-24-15, 07:10 PM   #1
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
General Chat

The most significant change, for me, is that they've completely overhauled the nameplate system.

Their UI is now implemented through Blizzard_NamePlates, and there are a number of api functions and events we can use without an OnUpdate function or iterating over WorldFrame's children.

Most intriguingly, each nameplate has a unit ID associated with it ("nameplate1 -> nameplate30"), which allows us to get information directly from a particular unit associated with a given nameplate. This means accurate aura displays, but it also opens up powerful possibilities that weren't previously practical.

There are also multiple new CVars, notably one which prevents tab from targeting units that are not in combat (TargetPriorityCombatLock) and another to prevent it from targeting units behind you (TargetPriorityIncludeBehind).

Oh yeah, and models can set their pitch and roll, so you can presumably rotate them in all directions.

Last edited by semlar : 11-24-15 at 07:15 PM.

11-25-15, 07:07 AM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Oh yeah, and models can set their pitch and roll, so you can presumably rotate them in all directions.
Also alpha, with just SetAlpha() on the frame you'd (currently) get issues with models that have effects on them, especially visible on elementals. Hopefully the new :SetModelAlpha() will remedy that.

11-25-15, 08:27 AM   #3
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Most intriguingly, each nameplate has a unit ID associated with it ("nameplate1 -> nameplate30"), which allows us to get information directly from a particular unit associated with a given nameplate. This means accurate aura displays, but it also opens up powerful possibilities that weren't previously practical.
Sounds like it'll be possible to finally create a working 'overhead' combat text addon

11-25-15, 02:57 PM   #4
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i am really interested to see these new nameplates

11-25-15, 04:01 PM   #5
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ObbleYeah View Post
i am really interested to see these new nameplates
Image.

You could also just check out any stream on twitch.tv, should be plenty still doing quests there.

Also, source code: https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-sour...ard_NamePlates

11-25-15, 04:20 PM   #6
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I'm very curious about the derivative of Model used in the new wardrobe collection. It could potentially open up a lot of new creative pathways, since it seems that items can be rendered without a PlayerModel. It is probably the same widget used in the artifact customization pane that was briefly shown at both Gamescom and Blizzcon:

Here's a video of it.

Last edited by MunkDev : 11-25-15 at 04:25 PM.

11-25-15, 04:33 PM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

PlayerModels have a couple new methods for this, model:SetItem(itemID[, appearanceModID, itemVisualID]) and model:SetItemAppearance(itemAppearanceID[, itemVisualID])

11-25-15, 05:57 PM   #8
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
I'm very curious about the derivative of Model used in the new wardrobe collection. It could potentially open up a lot of new creative pathways, since it seems that items can be rendered without a PlayerModel. It is probably the same widget used in the artifact customization pane that was briefly shown at both Gamescom and Blizzcon:

Here's a video of it.
You can already do this with some model types, however if they add the functionality to work on every models (without the current hassle) that would be cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzorLE4h8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAjdXfCia5w

Last edited by Resike : 11-25-15 at 06:00 PM.

12-03-15, 07:06 AM   #9
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Here's a video of it.
The model in that image is in the world itself, when you open up the artifact window at your class hall the camera will fixate so that the artifact on display is on the right side of your screen. You can see that the character is not in the center of the screen as well. Just saw this demonstrated on a stream.

The video is just standard wardrobe stuff.

Edit: as of build 20773, addons are indeed disabled.

Last edited by p3lim : 12-03-15 at 07:08 AM.

11-26-15, 03:56 AM   #10
ObbleYeah
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Image.

You could also just check out any stream on twitch.tv, should be plenty still doing quests there.

Also, source code: https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-sour...ard_NamePlates
oh thanks, didn't realise the source had been pulled yet. aura tracking included at base level is nice! looking forward to (hopefully) getting beta access and playing around with 'em

11-30-15, 02:23 PM   #11
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ObbleYeah View Post
looking forward to (hopefully) getting beta access and playing around with 'em
Just watch for the beta key giveaway after Blizzard enables addons for the beta, which is usually a few months before release. It's a first come, first serve basis and you need to have an up-to-date addon in your uploads list.

12-26-15, 10:15 AM   #12
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Will nameplates behave like unit frames? If so, they would presumably be protected, right?

12-26-15, 11:54 AM   #13
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Will nameplates behave like unit frames? If so, they would presumably be protected, right?
How do you mean? They are already protected, no?

12-26-15, 08:12 PM   #14
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
How do you mean? They are already protected, no?
They are? I've never actually messed with them beyond just checking whether they're clickable, which to my knowledge they're not. If the nameplates are protected AND have unit IDs, they can be accessed securely in combat, which would allow me to expand this position-based behaviour to nameplates:

12-27-15, 12:04 AM   #15
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They're currently secure frames, but the actual part that you click on to select a unit is the WorldFrame itself.

You click "through" the nameplate frame to interact with something.

I'm not sure how your example would be much different from tab targeting, but you could probably write something that cycles through nameplates if you didn't care what order it did it in.

12-27-15, 01:12 AM   #16
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

They're currently secure frames, but the actual part that you click on to select a unit is the WorldFrame itself.

You click "through" the nameplate frame to interact with something.

I'm not sure how your example would be much different from tab targeting, but you could probably write something that cycles through nameplates if you didn't care what order it did it in.
Yes, I know they're not actually clicked, but let's just say that you could do :GetAttribute("unit") on a nameplate in Legion (or something to that effect to extract the unit ID). That could be used securely, which is great news for me. Assuming, of course, that nameplate IDs can be used to target something.

My example is not cycling through targets. It's sending directional information to the secure environment using a wrapped preclick snippet. By gathering all the unit frames drawn on screen and where they are drawn in a secure table, I can iterate over that data to determine the next unit frame to jump to. The action button that was clicked gets that unit frame's unit ID assigned to it and then targets that unit in the onclick script.

If nameplates behave similarly to unit frames, are secure AND have IDs, this means I could accurately "tab" to a target with, for example, the arrow keys on the keyboard. Jumping from one nameplate/target to the next would only require me to press the arrow key that's pointing in that general direction. If the nameplate is nameplate3 or nameplate22 doesn't really matter, since it's all based on their on-screen position. Probably pretty useless in most cases, but could be useful for controller gameplay since tab targeting is somewhat unreliable.

Another good use of this system (if it works according to this hypothesis) would be to create a grid of custom nameplates (if that's even possible), sort of like raid frames but for nameplates. Could potentially simplify targeting specific mobs in a large pack instead of trying to single out that mob with the mouse cursor. You know, if they aren't forcibly following the target's head.

Last edited by MunkDev : 12-27-15 at 06:43 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » General Chat