05-16-10, 06:44 PM   #1
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Pick for 5/16: BLPView (new)

BLPView:

Today's Pick isn't an addon, but a Windows extension written by Foxlit (author of OPie and more). When writing addons and thinking about textures to use for icons or frames, we authors usually turn to Blizzard's Interface AddOn Kit to extract the game files (the .lua/XML code and the .blp textures). But, because .blp is Blizzard's proprietary format for images, Windows can't view them natively. This usually leaves us authors left to also download something like BLP2PNG to convert these files so that we can view them, and eventually find what we're looking for. BLPView gives Windows Explorer (Vista and Windows 7) the ability to create thumbnail and preview versions of .blp textures, so as to more easily find what you need, and maybe see something new!

Note: If you wish to open/edit the textures, you'll still need BLP2PNG or similar to convert them. On a Mac? Foxlit also wrote BLPLook!

Find what you're looking for! Download the .exe here. (Any .exe uploaded to our site is rigorously tested and deconstructed to ensure the safety of our users. Feel free to also compare the MD5 checksum of your download with that listed on BLPView's download page.)

For previous Picks of the Week, see here.

Are you the author of a mod that you think belongs in this spotlight? Just upload/update it to WoWInterface, and it will automatically be considered for that week's Pick.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-16-10, 08:12 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
FYI .. the community page still shows the last months "Weekly" pick QuestMyMap.
05-16-10, 10:16 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's because Cairenn and Dolby weren't available at that moment to change it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-17-10, 12:00 AM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Interesting.

Does it give you the path to display that BLP ?

Or do you only need the file name to display it in an addon ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-17-10, 01:17 AM   #5
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Aw, I wanted an addon. :<
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
05-17-10, 02:44 AM   #6
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Just for those who aren't aware, you can also view the data files and download them directly from your web browser:

http://wowprogramming.com/utils/artbrowser

For example:

http://wowprogramming.com/utils/artb...dingFrame.list
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
05-17-10, 07:21 AM   #7
Foxlit
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
Interesting.

Does it give you the path to display that BLP ?

Or do you only need the file name to display it in an addon ?
BLPView is not a separate application; the screenshot shows Windows Explorer browsing one of the art folders extracted using the AddOn Kit.

The path to the BLP extracted by the AddOn Kit roughly corresponds to the path to the BLP in-game -- just replace "Blizzard Interface Art (locale)" with "Interface".

WoWInterface » Site Forums » WoWI's Pick(s) of the Week » Pick for 5/16: BLPView (new)