06-23-22, 05:40 PM   #1
Walkerbo
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Brand new character test

Hi all

I want to determine if a character is brand new or not.

I can see that there is;
Lua Code:
  1. OpeningCinematic() -- Shows the opening cinematic for a player's race. Only works as long as the player has earned zero exp.

I have not been able to find a way to confirm if the opening cinematic has just played or been skipped, nor have I been able to find a way to get the amount of experience a character has.

I cannot see an experience tracker in the character statistics, even if I did I have no idea of how to get hold of various statistics.

I can access the time played and see it the time played is less than 30 seconds but I wonder if this is the best solution.

Is there a way to correctly identify if the opening cinematic has just played\skipped?

Is there a way to correctly access the character experience so I can test to positively determine if the character is newly minted?

How do I get access to character statistics, such as total deaths?
06-23-22, 05:43 PM   #2
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Walkerbo View Post
How do I get access to character statistics, such as total deaths?
Statistics are just "hidden" achievements. Total deaths are saved under achievement ID 60:

https://www.wowhead.com/achievement=60/total-deaths

Wowhead even separates them:

https://www.wowhead.com/achievements...ter-statistics
06-23-22, 07:04 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Walkerbo View Post
nor have I been able to find a way to get the amount of experience a character has.
UnitXP("player") returns player experience. You should also look at UnitLevel() to check if they're level 1.
06-23-22, 08:13 PM   #4
Walkerbo
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thanks for the replies.

@Kanegasi
Thanks so much for this one; statistics are just another form of achievements, I would never have worked that one out.

@SDPhantom
Thanks for that, after a bit of testing I have found that base races have zero xp when they start but allied, DK and DH all have positive xp when they start, so I cannot use this as the best way of going forward.

I think I will stay with the time played >20 seconds, to account for the opening cinematic.

Cheers for the help

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Brand new character test