10-02-12, 09:35 AM   #1
Shulkman
A Defias Bandit
Thank you Rythal

I have been using Carbonite for a long time... beginning of Wrath I believe. For you to jump up and do the work to get it functioning for 5.0.4 was a great thing. To the authors of old, thank you for all of your work over the years, and for releasing that work under the GPL so that it could continue to give happiness to the masses. Rythal, you have a heck of a job ahead of you, but I'm sure that we all will be very patient while you do your work.

10-02-12, 10:27 AM   #2
aric420
A Defias Bandit
help cant get carbonite to work!

Sorry dont know if im in the right forum or not this is my first time ever posting. I have downloaded carbonite and reinstalled carbonite several times. I have turned off all other addons and tried deleting mw wtf folder. No matter what I do I cant get carbonite working and everything i have read here recently says that it is working somewhat. I have been lost without carbonite since MoP! please help! By the way thank you rythal for picking this back up and keeping it alive WoW isnt the same without carbonite

10-02-12, 10:43 AM   #3
arilen
A Defias Bandit
go to rythal.com look at the top, click on carbonite fan update download.
Unzip the file in your wow/interface/addon folder, it will ask you if you want to overwrite the file , say yes, should work now

10-02-12, 11:56 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
you don't need to get it from my site anymore, the latest version is here on WoWUI and should be installable like the old.

10-03-12, 12:35 AM   #5
Muezick
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So now where do donations go to?

10-03-12, 03:03 AM   #6
seepakseng
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
So now where do donations go to?
Yeah, where do we donate to help out?

10-03-12, 03:29 AM   #7
Lythlynia
A Murloc Raider
Big Black Circle!!

Howdy Rythal,
Thank you is my first message, second is I am still getting the Big Dreaded Circle where my mini-map (merged map and Detail map) used to be. If im in Ironforge or in the Mist maps I cant see anything but my tracking icons. Is there a fix soon?

Patiently waiting

10-03-12, 11:20 AM   #8
U.E. Admiral
A Kobold Labourer
I'm pleased to hear that Carbonite will continue to be updated, and especially happy to hear that there will be an attempt to modularize it--particularly the map!

My oh-so-very selfish, self-important, and ignorant request, however, is a timeline. Especially recently, we get a patch and Carbonite is one of the last addons (that I use, anyway) to be updated--granted this was prior management. Each time, I go looking around for information on when I can expect it to be ready, but don't find a clear cut, simple "try back in X number of days/weeks."

On a semi-related note, I always went to CarboniteAddon.com for my update. It seems that place is still saying 5.041 when current is 5.051. I suspect that is again prior management and the transition is still taking place. Will you be taking over that site, or creating a new one, or what?

10-03-12, 10:01 PM   #9
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by U.E. Admiral View Post
My oh-so-very selfish, self-important, and ignorant request, however, is a timeline.
I'm pretty selfish about my requests too, but lets not worry about a timeline until Rythal has figured out a bunch of the code and worked on it. That in itself will still take some time. We don't want to scare him away already!

10-05-12, 10:32 PM   #10
jbennettsr
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up

Rythal,
Thanks for taking this project over,been my favorite add-on since i knew what an add-on was.

10-05-12, 11:56 PM   #11
kaerwyn-k
A Kobold Labourer
Question

I have a question and I was not able to find an answer reading through this thread. I have install Rythal's newest release of Carbonite (thank you for that, by the way). I have enabled track herbs, on both the WoW minimap and the show herb locations on the carbonite section of the map, and yet the places where nodes used to show up on Carbonite's map are no longer showing. Is this feature gone, or is there a way I do not know about to enable them? (Importing carbonite nodes via the guide section in the options just says none can be found).

Thanks,
Heather

10-11-12, 10:21 AM   #12
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Will you please, for the love of god, make all the maps use the same container. I hated having to re-locate each BG Map in addition to the World Map.

For tips:

I would separate out all the components of Carbonite:
-Map
-Quest Tracking
-Warehouse
-Achievement Tracking
-Punk Watcher
-and any other's that I missed

This way you can release each section and we don't have to wait around for the whole thing to be done. Plus, when Blizzard breaks something you do have to pour through the entire LUA file, just the LUA of the section that's broken.

Did that for my website, each page was a separate flash file, with the main site loading the other pages into it. So, if I needed to change something I only had to upload a small file (~200KB) instead of the whole 10MB site.

Last edited by Simulo : 10-11-12 at 10:28 AM.

10-11-12, 02:03 PM   #13
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Will you please, for the love of god, make all the maps use the same container. I hated having to re-locate each BG Map in addition to the World Map.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!
Having each battleground contain it's own map size/location is very important to me when I deal with each and every battleground. AV for me is long and thing and in a different location than the other BG's.

For Simulo, once you have done this once for your character, use the warehouse function to import that characters map locations/sizes to the other characters. This is what I do with all 10 of my toons.

Thank you,

10-15-12, 08:58 PM   #14
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Simulo, you only need to set everything once for each toon, the change you're asking for would cause pvpers to have to re-size and relocate their map EVERY TIME they played a different BG.

10-18-14, 09:34 AM   #15
cjyerger
Premium Member
Premium Member
what can we do to help

Is there anything we as users can do to help like gather information for you? If there is something I can install and then upload information I would gladly do it. I have been a carbonite fan since back when you could still buy it before Blizz said you cant anymore.

10-18-14, 03:42 PM   #16
Sindelar
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by cjyerger View Post
Is there anything we as users can do to help like gather information for you? If there is something I can install and then upload information I would gladly do it. I have been a carbonite fan since back when you could still buy it before Blizz said you cant anymore.
Agreed, if there's anything those of us without programming knowledge can do to help, please let us know!

11-19-14, 11:24 AM   #17
encryptedkid
A Defias Bandit
ive honestly thought about trying to take up coding again for mainly help with this great damn addon as well as some minor dumb things. wanted to make an acc to just say what a great app. i just decided to get the new expansion after taking a break from cata for a bit and damn you truly don't know how incredible something was till its gone. if anyoine knows any good online courses free of course as im currently in between jobs after my damn contract expired would help me thus in return me helping the community hopefully.

11-19-14, 11:32 AM   #18
encryptedkid
A Defias Bandit
matter of fact im gonna be donating as well. as soon as i get some source of income. with all the time a yrs using this well put together addon that's honestly the top of a must 3 i need to fully enjoy wow. so much in fact i wouldn't mind paying for the addon it self whether it be one time purchase of even a 6-12mo subscription. if thats what it takes to continue the life of it

10-03-12, 11:01 AM   #19
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
modular why?

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Here is my current plans for the code, in order of priority.

Immediate - 1) Update 5.041 GPL with my 5.05 changes.

Future:
Maps:
1) Separate purely the maps into it's own addon "Carbonite Maps" to be the base starting point of all future
work.
2) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceDB w/ Profiles, and AceOptions
3) Change Carbonite Maps to Use AceLocale, update every part of the maps to be locale friendly.
4) Celebrate cuz were on our way with a modular Carbonite.

Quests:
1) Convert all the quests to plain english from the bytecode
2) Make it easier to add/remove/fix quests, converting it to plain english will make it huge ... possibly larger
then the original carbonite we got (35000 quests, 4-5 lines each quest...) maybe split them up in a
subfolder by zone? continent? patch level?
3) get the new quests added
4) Celebrate, cuz this is the test of modularization to it's fullest... we get to this point the rest is smooth sailing.
why would you want to break it up? That just creates more add-ons that have to be able to interact with each other any change to one part is going to make problems with the other parts. For example if the map is separate then the questing part has to talk to the map part to show data. If its made in pieces its no better then the 20+ other add-ons that you have to down load a questing add-on then a map add-on etc.

And yes if you separate it is going to have a bigger foot print then it does now. You will have redundant code in each module.

10-03-12, 11:06 AM   #20
Zarggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No, it doesn't create "more addons". It splits the functionality of this addon into multiple modules that can can be activated or deactivated independently. The Maps module will merely be the base that the other modules depend on. It will not create problems or greatly increase the overhead.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite