11-21-09, 03:54 AM   #21
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What about if you don't a channel, but whispers? And if someone wants to visit "your page" then the addon whispers to the owner of the page a data request and so it happens. No multiplying.
11-21-09, 09:27 PM   #22
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Addon channels are nothing more than custom chat channels. I would think the same can also be said about things like whispers and such as they to can be considered part of the chat system.

You do not need to use just whispers for that idea. One could still use a custom chat channel the same way where data is only sent by request. But if the addon gets VERY popular those requests will multiply.

Addons like Carbonite send out data all the time using a few custom channels. It is always sending out things like quest data, version info, location info to other users of the addon. There are also addons that can send out data like Node locations to other players using the same addon upon request.

There is nothing to stop people from trying this. The worst that will happen is the addon gets blacklisted and no longer will work.

Is there any way to ask Blizzard themselves about what can and can not be done here?
11-21-09, 10:33 PM   #23
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I agree with Sepioth, make it, then conform later if it crosses the line. Unless someone here knows someone at Blizzard who can confirm this will be fine, that's your only option. An email likely will not reach the correct party to legitimately answer these questions, with absoluteness.
11-22-09, 08:23 AM   #24
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I agree with Sepioth, make it, then conform later if it crosses the line. Unless someone here knows someone at Blizzard who can confirm this will be fine, that's your only option. An email likely will not reach the correct party to legitimately answer these questions, with absoluteness.
I sort of agree. Getting a definite answer from Blizzard would be close to impossible, so I may just release it.
The communication-part is basically ready, so I will need to finish the browser and the "web-page" editor now. This is the easy part of the project.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Server-wide data communication