04-30-14, 02:20 PM   #1
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Adventures in Grid2 & transparency

I'm trying to set up Grid2 such that health bars are transparent (~50% opacity) when full, and, on losing health, show 100% opaque class colors behind them (much like what the oUF Mu layout and Quse UI have).

This is easy to do in VuhDo by turning off the health bar background (under General > Indicators), then setting the health bar to class color and then inverting it and reversing its direction (under "More" next to the health bar drop-down). I've used this setup in VuhDo before, but I'm really not a fan of VuhDo as a whole.

From what I can tell, Grid2 uses whole panels layered over one another for the "borders" on the General Settings tab. That's fine, I made a solid black color and set it to the border indicator. The problem is that if I want the solid class colored background to the 50% transparent "current health" bar, the background will show through and I'll end up with a greyish class color.

To fix this, I made the background show health deficit while the health bar indicator shows current health. Now, the current health bar shows as 50% transparent like I wanted, but when health is lost, the background bar fills because it's showing deficit, while the health bar empties as normal. So I end up with the greyish class color at the left end of the frame, while the other end just empties to nothing behind it.

What I need is to invert the direction the health deficit "fills", so that as the transparent main bar empties, the opaque background bar will fill in the empty space. I can't find the option to do that in Grid2. I've been messing with this for hours and I'm really close. Any insight would be great. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a simple option I've overlooked a hundred times.
04-30-14, 02:25 PM   #2
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
All that said, I can turn off the health bar altogether, leaving just the health-bg indicator to fill with health deficit. Then, I can turn the background color on the General Settings tab to the same color I use for the health bar indicator. That way, the class-colored deficit is actually filling in on top of the health bar-colored background. This is a dirty workaround and is okay, but the health loss is on the opposite side I'm used to and would prefer.

I really can't think of another way to make this work without using health deficit, and I really can't figure out how to invert the deficit direction.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look.
04-30-14, 03:03 PM   #3
Synchrony
An Aku'mai Servant
Well, I've managed to solve this myself. I'll try to list the important settings for anyone interested.

First, the backgrounds and borders on the General Settings tab have to all be completely transparent. We don't want to see any of those--they'll also prevent the main health bar's transparency from working.

I made a solid black color status and set the border indicator to use that along with the low health warning it was already using (using it for who I'm targeting isn't really necessary).

The health-bg indicator isn't used. The health indicator is used, and has its color set to a custom color status I'd made earlier, with its opacity at 50%. It's using current health as its status. Under its Layout tab, I enabled a background and set it to a standard color I'm already using for other frames (a lighter grey). This doesn't allow me to set class colors, but that's alright. This way I'll have uniform frames (no special treatment for classes that might stand out more--I already have names class-colored anyway).

The next issue I was running into was that the incoming heals wouldn't work, because it was using the same color as the health bar, which made it all but impossible to see. I had to set this to the same color as the background and lowered its opacity as well.

This is what I have now. I'm looking at making some power bars as well, but that's still a WIP.

I'm sorry for clogging up the forums with a post I ended up resolving myself But I hope that maybe this can help someone else looking for how to do this someday (it'll be me in 3 years when I've redone my UI a million times and come back to this).
04-30-14, 03:06 PM   #4
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
I'm sorry for clogging up the forums with a post I ended up resolving myself But I hope that maybe this can help someone else looking for how to do this someday (it'll be me in 3 years when I've redone my UI a million times and come back to this).
Nothing wrong with that. You posted your solution in a good amount of detail as well which essentially does nothing but benefit the forums.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Adventures in Grid2 & transparency