07-24-09, 03:22 AM   #1
janalopa
A Defias Bandit
A new addon, suggestions?

Hello fellow gamers, we are a group of addicted WoW players who would like to develop a new tool that will help us all communicate while playing WoW....

I would reeeaallly appreciate if you can answer a few question that will allow us to know exactly what will be the most needed tool for WoW among the options we've thought about...

So here's the link to the Survey

Waiting for your comments aswell..

THANKS
07-24-09, 04:49 AM   #2
qaarh
Sunshine BearTree
I'm not sure this kind of addon could be created. As far as I know, communication outside of the game is not possible. But don't take my word for it, it's been a while since I dug into the LUA code..
07-24-09, 05:03 AM   #3
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by qaarh View Post
I'm not sure this kind of addon could be created. As far as I know, communication outside of the game is not possible. But don't take my word for it, it's been a while since I dug into the LUA code..
It couldn't be an addon, but it could use an overlay in the fashion of Xfire or Fraps.

Also, based on this:

1ClickJoiner – A tool that lets you know what you're friends are playing, double click on them and you will automatically join their game, server and map
... it's clearly a generic survey.
07-24-09, 05:17 AM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

As the other two poster have mentioned, this "tool" could not be implemented using the WoW AddOns structure.

- AddOns within WoW run in a sandboxed environment. They cannot communicate with the outside world.

- Third Party apps cannot access data within WoW other than reading the stored SavedVariables files. Third Party apps can write data to those SavedVariables files to be accessed in-game by an associated AddOn. However those files are only written to/read from at Log-in, Log-out, Exit, and when the UI is reloaded using the /console reloadui (or some shortcut variant). This prevents any realtime interaction unless the player is willing to constantly reload his/her UI (which would be a complete pain the neck).

Third Party apps that do attempt to access data or communicate within WoW while WoW is running (either via Packet Sniffing or other means) will be classified as "illegal" by Blizzard and get added to the Warden database. If a player is detected using "illegal" third party apps, their account will be flagged and they run the risk of an account Ban

There are already legal solutions in place.

- If you and your friends are on the same server/faction, then you can use a private channel to chit-chat with. simply use /join Channel name to create/join that channel.

- Some IM programs such as XFire (previously mentioned), Steam and others use a DirectX based overlay that allows you to IM other users. However these IM clients do not interface with WoW, instead they use a DirectX layer that is layered over WoW allow you to see and use the IM client without interfacing with WoW itself.

Blizzard is quite protective of WoW and its internal guts. You will be entering into risky territory with this idea of yours. The risk includes your user accounts being one-shotted by the Blizzard Banhammer.

Last edited by Zyonin : 07-24-09 at 05:22 AM.
08-05-09, 04:02 PM   #5
janalopa
A Defias Bandit
I'm going to do it as an overlayer...

thanks Lykofos for your comments...

So do you think blizzard will ban someone for using this software? I do not intend to sniff wow packets nor getting any data from the game.

And basically do you think gamers would like the idea that a small, designed, skyype window will appear on top of the game and will make it easier for them to use skyype while playing?

THANKS
08-05-09, 05:10 PM   #6
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I doubt they'd ban anyone. Many people are using Fraps, XFire, etc.

In regard to Skype: I'm not too sure most gamers be interested. Currently Ventrilo, Mumble and maybe other voice communications packages have overlays which are vastly underused.
08-05-09, 10:27 PM   #7
Taryble
A Molten Giant

It's one of the few problems I have with Win7 - the Aero interface isn't compatible with DX Overlays, so you either have to turn off Aero to use the overlay, or do without the overlay.

I get quite good at recognizing my guildies by voice.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » A new addon, suggestions?