12-24-05, 07:19 PM   #1
CrazedFred
A Defias Bandit
Lightbulb Range Circle Request

It would be really interesting to have a mod that not only reds out various spells / abilities when they are not withing range, but projects a circle aroudn the character showing the attack range of the selected spell (or a set radius if the player so chooses). I apoligise in advance if this has already been done but I could not find it.
12-24-05, 07:22 PM   #2
Logdan
A Black Drake
You can't draw on the 3D world.
12-24-05, 07:34 PM   #3
CrazedFred
A Defias Bandit
There's no way to lay this over the terrian, or project it downwards?

I don't pretend to know much about XML or LUA, but I would think that such a versatile inferface would have some way to do this.
12-24-05, 07:43 PM   #4
Tekashi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Drawing a circle seems a bit radical but what could be more practical is a table in the lower right corner (or whereever) that listed the spells you select to represent on it and it shows next to their names the number of yards required and the number of yards between you are your target before it can be casted.
12-24-05, 08:20 PM   #5
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
We can't get any position information about a mob or hostile target other than if it's in range of an action or not.

For projecting downwards or something, picture the UI as the window beside your computer desk, and everything outside is the 3d world. We can paint on the window only. Everything outside in the 3d world is unavailable.

You could paint an arrow that appears 3d on the 2d window beside your character in the middle of the screen, and you could make it shrink/grow depending on which spells are in range to the target. But the arrow would have no way of following the target since the target's position is unavailable, and it would have no way of knowing distances other than the ranges of spells on your action bar.

There is still wiggle room for a visual indicator. Something that sits on the side of the screen that's a guage of the different range of actions on your bars. Then depending on which are in range and out, it could place a marker between them. It would by no means be accurate but it might be handy.

__ 40 yds

__ 30 yds
** <- target is here
__ 20 yds

__ 10 yds
__ 5 yds

That would be kinda cool.
12-30-05, 02:47 AM   #6
Depherios
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I used http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=249 until recently (I changed the text to just be three ||| for my three different actions) but got dissapointed with how it wouldn't work on friendly targets, so I made my own...

Needed it though, since at the time, I had no buttons on screen until I held down a shift key... and holding down the shift key to check range SUCKED
01-02-06, 02:50 PM   #7
D4RPA
A Kobold Labourer
Would there be a way to use the green circles that are used when you throw grenades and other skills? To be more specific, if you're a hunter and you're going to use Flare, a green circle is shown in the range that the Flare will expose.

Maybe if you can scale that (it may be REALLY big since hunter and mage range is very wide) with the player in the middle, you can see whats in range and whats not.

But I like Gello's idea. That would be something lots of casters can use.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Range Circle Request