03-17-09, 08:25 AM   #1
deke913
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Can't log in to Blizz forums :-(

Every tuesday we have the much loved maintenance day as you all surely know. And every tuesday the blizz forums are buzzing and I try to get on as often as possible to read and post. Most of the time however the login fails and tells me my login name or password is incorrect when I know that isn't possible because it's saved in Firefox. Traffic issue? Is blizz using the same servers for realms as for forums including support? Anyone else having this problem?
03-17-09, 09:51 AM   #2
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sometimes the authentication servers are taken down for maintenance as well.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
03-17-09, 01:15 PM   #3
deke913
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
Sometimes the authentication servers are taken down for maintenance as well.
What kind of lame idea is that? I know all servers need maintenance as I am a geek myself and quite familiar with the process. However, doing maintenance to the forum servers on the same day as the game servers are down is just blatantly unintelligent. EVERYONE goes to the forums on tuesdays, its all there is to do (outside of real life and work and such but I'm not talking about that) Separate the two maintenance times and you have a *blazillion folks looking at your advertisements on tuesday. And thats even assuming that is the problem I'm having, as there were tons of folks posting today that I could read but not answer.

*blazillion-Latin for lots
03-17-09, 05:03 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by deke913 View Post
What kind of lame idea is that? I know all servers need maintenance as I am a geek myself and quite familiar with the process. However, doing maintenance to the forum servers on the same day as the game servers are down is just blatantly unintelligent. EVERYONE goes to the forums on tuesdays, its all there is to do (outside of real life and work and such but I'm not talking about that) Separate the two maintenance times and you have a *blazillion folks looking at your advertisements on tuesday. And thats even assuming that is the problem I'm having, as there were tons of folks posting today that I could read but not answer.

It's far from unintelligent. The days and times that any maintenance is performed is based on statistics. Those statistics let them know when the least amount of players are on... and maintenance is performed on those days.
03-17-09, 07:41 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant

If you find that having the forums closed at the same time as the game bothers you this much .. you might want to consider quitting WoW and finding a new hobby.

I can find PLENTY to do when WoW is down. (Besides RL stuff).

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-17-09 at 07:47 PM.
03-17-09, 11:19 PM   #6
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Aside form what Silenia said, if the authentication servers were brought down at a different time as the game servers, it wouldn't make any sense as no one would be able to login to WoW.

03-28-09, 11:20 AM   #7
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
It's far from unintelligent. The days and times that any maintenance is performed is based on statistics. Those statistics let them know when the least amount of players are on... and maintenance is performed on those days.
Which is not relevant for what he said. Which was that when the servers are down people go to the boards.

And what maintenance is it they keep requiring.
03-28-09, 06:54 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
Which is not relevant for what he said. Which was that when the servers are down people go to the boards.

Go back and read what he said and what it was in his statement that I replied to. It was completely relevant.
04-09-09, 04:46 AM   #9
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

What kind of lame idea is that? I know all servers need maintenance as I am a geek myself and quite familiar with the process. However, doing maintenance to the forum servers on the same day as the game servers are down is just blatantly unintelligent.
Please post a reasonable non-emotive response as to why you think the forums should not go down at the same time as the realm servers go down for full maintenance

It could be that they are wanting to do maintenance on all of their servers all at the same time. They get 8 hrs to do it so if they do all the servers at the same time then they can avoid issues that arise from certain computers not getting a maintenance.

Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
There's a whole host of things you can do in a 6-8 hr maintenance slot.

Eg updating software , backing stuff up , disc cleanup , drive reformatting , taking the servers apart to clean inside them , redoing the networking, testing throughput etc etc
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Can't log in to Blizz forums :-(