Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
02-08-07, 09:03 AM   #10
Dingleback
A Murloc Raider
Feature Request: Keybindings

Hi Mazzle and Co.

First, I'd like to congratulate you guys aon a well-designed and great looking UI compilation. I'm used to putting together a bunch of stand-alones and tweaking them out to fit my playstyle, but you have really done a lot of good work to put things together in a smooth way. I really enjoyed the set-up process, and I'm glad you decided to include my favorite tools.

That said, my main issue is with the keybindings and the auto-keybindings process. I have one of those mouses (sic) with a wheel, 3 main buttons (left, right, middle) and 5 additional buttons. And I have a very character-specific set of keybinds for each of my characters set up to take advantage of those buttons.

So I have a few feature request ideas:
1) A keybindings wizard--something that will allow me to remap my keybinds for each character, and do it in a systematic way rather than having to go a) clear all the keybinds in the BongoBar and b) set the desired keybinds and c) go hunting through the rest of the keybinds go remap anything that may have been doubly overwritten.

2) alternatively, I'd like to be able to set up my own class-specific keybind templates that go along with your class-specific bars. I'd just like the ability to make use of the class-spcific layouts without having to worry about whether F1 is going to target me or cast an offensive spell at the NPC guard I happened to have targeted. Don't get me wrong, I know how to go change the keybinds, but I bet there are a lot of people out there who map spells to various mousebuttons. With 5 mousebuttons and alt and ctrl I usually get between 10-12 different spells on the mouse.

3) The class-specific hint page is nice in that it tells you what some of the defaults are, but I'd like to see some sort of info page that goes into more detail about how/why some keybinding decisions were made and perhaps a list of bindings that are changed from the standard UI. For example, on healer classes, the F-keys remain bound to partymember targeting, but on DPS classes they're linked to spells? I'd just like a little more detail in the info to make that clear to me. After playing on my Shaman and switching to my Warlock I kept trying to give my buddy Unending Breath and ended up Life Draining the poor guy.

So, my suggestions weren't well formulated, but you see my problem. I'm basically one of those crazy people that has a very specific set of keybinds for all my characters...bt I'm also in love with the amount of customization you've put in for the class-specific layouts. I'd just like to see an additional layer of control for managing keybinds at setup time. Also, I'm lazy and I want you to do the work for me.

Anyway, great work on the UI design. I'll be testing it out over the next few weeks and if I find any problems with it I'll be sure to let you know!

Cheers,

Dingleback

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » OLD Feature Requests and All Other Suggestions OLD