Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
12-27-06, 08:01 PM   #1
SynchroPriest
A Murloc Raider
Custom Lifebars

Also posted over at http://forums.worldofwar.net/showthread.php?t=383711

Hi. I am brand new to Lua and am just barely past the HelloWorld stage for WoW mods. But I have an extensive software development background (including UI work with MFC and Swing), am familiar with many scripting languages, and am completely comfortable working with XML, DOM, etc. So I don't imagine this will be too terribly difficult for me to pick up. But I could use a push in the right direction, especially in terms of vocabulary.

I want to create a custom set of lifebars. Let's say I'm in a raid and I want to create a panel (Frame?) that contains only 3 of my friends' lifebars so I can heal only them (no, I'm not looking to be a selfish healer, but I figure a contrived example will better put me on the right path). I want only these 3 raid members' life bars grouped together in the same panel, regardless of the fact that they are actually spread out across different parties.

In practice, will this be a difficult thing to write? Does the WoW client already provide a set of UI components I can reuse (such as when you shift-drag a single member's lifebar off of the raid tab). Or will I have to write my own components from scratch (create a frame, create individual "portrait" components on the frame, create a "lifebar" component and buff/debuff components to fit inside the "portrait", etc).

I think part of my problem really is not knowing the correct terminology. I lookup "lifebars", but of course, this isn't a technically relevant term. What might be the correct terms for me to study?

I'm familiar with CTRaid and similar mods and I suppose I could start scouring their source for examples. But if I can start with a simpler example and avoid having to sift through someone else's forest of code to find a single tree, I would prefer to try that route.

Thanks in advance for your help!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Custom Lifebars