11-18-08, 11:53 AM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Threat on nameplates

I've been thinking about this a lot since I'm a part time tank on my Druid. There's always that 'one' mob that is barely out of range of Swipe that keeps casting a spell on your healer. I can find it fairly easy, but I've seen others that can't seem to grasp tabbing through the enemies to find it. You also want to be able to tell a warlock, mage, boomkin with more confidence.. "aoe safe".

There are options to put a castbar on nameplates, how hard would putting a threat meter on nameplate be?

Simplified Flintstones type web drawing...

Mobname "is" the nameplate.
Castbar is the mobs casting bar.

I = where your threat 'is' by percentage.
> Indicates you are still gaining threat.

Sorry for my over simplified drawing, but I think it's explained well enough. Any questions or comments on how this could be done, or if it's even possible, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Yhor : 11-18-08 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Typo one shot me
11-18-08, 12:32 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Aloft is hands-down the best nameplate addon available, and has a threat display part. I've never used it myself though, so I'm not sure how it works exactly (the threat part that is).
11-18-08, 12:37 PM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Aloft is hands-down the best nameplate addon available, and has a threat display part. I've never used it myself though, so I'm not sure how it works exactly (the threat part that is).
Last time I used Aloft (about 2 weeks ago), it threw bugs at me like an Alligator in the swamps of Florida sneezing in my face. I liked Aloft before the bugs, but I think the in-game nameplates are fine also.

On Aloft comments, http://www.wowinterface.com/download....html#comments , I found a bit more detail on this topic (threat on nameplates). The comment post stamped at 10:38AM on 18 November (today) gives a good bit of detail on the difficulty involved.

Last edited by Yhor : 11-18-08 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Found information relative to topic.
11-18-08, 12:39 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Was it the currently maintained version of aloft from this site?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-18-08, 12:50 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Was it the currently maintained version of aloft from this site?
Yes Seerah, it wasn't the fault of Aloft (I should have said this already), it was a piece of my code (I'm a newby with code btw) not playing nice with Aloft.
11-18-08, 01:15 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I guess after further investigation

http://s.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw20060.jpg

Aloft has exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'll abandon my semi useless range code I was trying to work on so I can get this functionality. Thanks for looking at my request.
11-18-08, 07:03 PM   #7
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Yes Seerah, it wasn't the fault of Aloft (I should have said this already), it was a piece of my code (I'm a newby with code btw) not playing nice with Aloft.
whew... good news (at least from Aloft's perspective). there were a number of things that jumped out of WotLK, and i made a few typos trying to fix them, which did not help... it took a few releases for Aloft to stabilize.

but Aloft 2.4.6-315 (most recent version as of 2008/11/18) appears to be relatively stable (so far). and thanks as always to Seerah, i often come across threads in which the poster has already been steered to the latest/greatest version.

anyway, Aloft's current threat implementation would give you about what Omen would give you (group threat against your current target), plus the Blizzard aggro glow.

we have been discussing trying to do more with the threat subsystem, but it looks like it would be pretty resource-intensive to do. it does not look like Blizzard's threat event model covers anything to a useful degree except the current target (from the perspective of each player). so, to gather more information Aloft (or any other addon) would need to query additional targets and/or get into the business of exchanging data over the addon channel with other installations of itself.

i am still digging into this, but it is not too promising so far.
11-18-08, 12:47 PM   #8
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I just Google'd, and basically everyone points me towards Aloft. There are 2 very simple ones to change the color of the healthbar or textures and fonts and stucc, but none as good as Aloft.

I've also just read the description, and it seems to be able to display the actual threat to in addition to the aggro glow

Finally, Aloft (this UPDATED version) provides a full-featured threat indicator capability:
1. Player threat displayed on player target's nameplate (the player has no bar-style nameplate)
2. Group threat (including pets/summons) displayed on group nameplates
3. Threat bar and threat text capabilities
4. Threat bar and threat text can be enabled independently
5. Can be enabled while solo (for pet-owning classes)
6. Control over display colors to indicate common threat and maximum threat thresholds
7. Threat gain threshold display (i.e. omen-style "aggro bar") capability for player threat
8. Threat threshold nameplate "glow" (separate from aggro glow, see below); Threshold can be customized
9. Uses the WoW 3.x native threat event model and API
^taken from the description page.
I'm sorry, this is all I can help, unless I overlooked something it's gonna be either this or writing your own addon it seems

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Threat on nameplates