04-19-08, 10:43 AM   #1
rgweiss1003
A Defias Bandit
Compilation Crisis

What has happened to compilations? Everyone and their sister is uploading their's regardless of the fact the majority are first time compilations and only a select few know wth they're doing.

Trying to find a long term project or well known author is becoming more and more difficult, because you have to weed through tons of crap nowadays. Guess that's what happens when the real UI compilations aren't updated in a timely manner. You get all the scrubs trying to fill in the gaps?
04-19-08, 01:33 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So start your own. Its really not that difficult to create your UI compilation and with the advent of the various mod updaters (WoWAceUpdater, WoWUIUpater, jWoWUpdater, etc. Of course don't forget WoWInterface's upater!) its extremely easy keep the mods updated. It will take anywhere from 15 minutes to three hours depending the mods and what you are customizing to create your own custom UI. Then the only person you have to yell at to keep this UI updated is yourself.
04-19-08, 01:55 PM   #3
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I tend to have to agree. There are simply tons of compilations out there nowadays. When I started GUI there were only a dozen or so, now there are hundreds. Meh.

04-19-08, 05:32 PM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Popularity will do that. Addons have become much more popular in the past year. More support for the community also comes with a price, in this case a flood of very similar if not virtually identical Compilations.

I dont see this as a bad thing. Just makes the better ones truly shine in comparison.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
04-19-08, 06:57 PM   #5
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Good point. I'm not out here for huge numbers or anything, lol. I mean I made my compilation for friends and guildies who have since spread it around a bit. I don't have a do-everything-automagically-for-me button, but I'll support anything I package.

There's now a compilation for everything, from class-specific, to raid, to arena. Only downside is alot of identical and poorly thrown together suites. The community is very good indeed; keeps me interested.

04-19-08, 07:21 PM   #6
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
The fact there are alot of compilations is fine, but it would be so much better the they all werent the same. The looks of alot of the comps out there a rips of other peoples UI's just maybe with a different color or a shifted piece of artwork. There are very few Original and creative UI's out there.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Compilation Crisis