04-16-08, 02:50 PM   #1
XAlliedYouthX
A Kobold Labourer
Viewing players gear

Is there a way that I could check the gear another player has I selected around me without just using the built-in "inspect" interface? I know of the function to bring up that window but I have yet to find any other way. What I am looking to do is have it spam my chat window with the gear slot and the corresponding piece of gear.
06-18-08, 05:11 PM   #2
lifetapt
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You might want to take a look at the code for InventoryOnPar. Whenever you target a friendly player, it will retrieve their gear, score it and save it to its database, with no user interaction required.
http://files.wowace.com/InventoryOnP...ntoryOnPar.zip
06-21-08, 04:41 AM   #3
Waverian
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by XAlliedYouthX View Post
Is there a way that I could check the gear another player has I selected around me without just using the built-in "inspect" interface? I know of the function to bring up that window but I have yet to find any other way. What I am looking to do is have it spam my chat window with the gear slot and the corresponding piece of gear.
http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=13753.0 shows a basic way to get gear information without seeing the inspect screen. Relevant code:

Code:
		if CheckInteractDistance(name, 1) then
			NotifyInspect(name)
			for _,slot in pairs(SLOTS) do
				local itemLink = GetInventoryItemLink(name, GetInventorySlotInfo(slot))
				if itemLink then
					local _, _, itemCode = strfind(itemLink, "(%d+):")
					itemCode = tonumber(itemCode)
					if not self:ItemRecorded(itemCode, name) then 
						table.insert(self.db.account.info[name].items, itemCode)
						DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Added ".. name .. " slot: ".. slot ..";item ".. itemLink ..";ID: " .. itemCode)
					end
				else
					DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(name.."'s slot: "..slot.."; no item")
				end
			end
			DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Scanned "..name)
		end
SLOTS is just a table with all of the inventory slot names for iterating through every inventory slot on a character, you can see that in the post. You can then call GetItemInfo on the itemlink for just about all the info you could want.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Viewing players gear